HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Vaginal Cuff not healed @ 6 weeks-estradiol cream? Vaginal Cuff not healed @ 6 weeks-estradiol cream?

Unread 05-10-2013, 12:20 AM
Vaginal Cuff not healed @ 6 weeks-estradiol cream?

Hi all-I had my 6 week post-op appointment today, Hallelujah!

My doc said that my vaginal cuff hasn't full healed, the stitches are still present. She recommended Estradiol cream vaginally for 2 weeks, still no intercourse but I can return to normal activity.

I go back in 2 weeks, so that she can check the stitches.

I am BRCA1 positive, so I was a little worried about Estrogen> She obviously knows my situation but said for 2 weeks, we don't have to worry and tat I need to get healed.

Question 1-How normal is this? I've read many threads, but wanting more? I had DaVinci hysterectomy, shouldn't my stitches be gone?

Question 2-Estradiol cream to help things heal faster. Is this common

Question 3-I did the Estradiol this evening, and I have a very minor burning pain vaginally. Is that normal?

Thank you!
Unread 05-10-2013, 02:16 AM
Re: Vaginal Cuff not healed @ 6 weeks-estradiol cream?

Hi Skinnywrapangel, I'll do my best to answer your questions. As for the rate at which we heal, it is not entirely dependent on the type of hysterectomy we had. Da Vinci stitches are internally the same as stitches others get. Some people just take a while to heal. Remember, you had an organ removed, not just a few little holes. As for using estradiol cream to help heal vaginal tissues faster, I have seen this posted many times, and my doc prescribed it to me to help with vaginal dryness and to help me heal faster. I also felt minor burning vaginal pain the first 2 or 3 times I used it. My doc said it was likely because of the soreness and irritation in my vagina in the first place and anything in there would make it burn. Of course that was for me and my doctor. If you are really concerned, you should ask your doc about these issues. I hope you heal soon!
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:08 AM

The only thing I can answer about is the stitches. During my 6 week exam the dr said everything was healing nicely. When I asked if I still had stitches left he said he put in 90 day stitches. So I most certainly still have them. I guess it doesn't matter if you still have stitches or not.
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:46 AM

Well, according to my doctor for a laprascopic hysterectomy she uses a "dental floss" type of material for closing up vaginal cuff. For DaVinci its more of a barbwire type of repair. No intercourse because of the pain in could cause my partner. Estradiol is so to help expedite the healing of the stitches. Im asking if thats normal? Originally was told 6 weeks. Im not healing....

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.