still deciding | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

still deciding still deciding

Unread 02-26-2002, 04:32 PM
still deciding

i'm new here. my dr recommended that i visit the site. i'm in the middle of deciding whether i should have the hyster or not. i'm 34, have endometriosis and few other problems. the reason i'm considering is that my mother and aunt both died of ovarian cancer, so it's preventative. my dr says i should, many friends say i shouldn't and i'm not sure at all. it's not the surgery that scares me, it's the after-affects. my husband is very supportive and thinks i should go through with it. everyone i've talked to has a different story on the after-affects so i'm just not sure. any advise would be great and so appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2002, 05:12 PM
still deciding

Michelle, from your post it sounds like you are a little down. I am 32 and have two kids. My dr. suggested a hyst for adenomyosis, prolapse, etc. I am scheduling the surgery for June 7th. Ever since I was 12, I've been living with bad menstrual pains every month. Everything's gotten worse, esp. after my pregnancies. Now, it's to the point that I have one week, maybe two if I'm lucky every month where I feel well. The other times, I am in pain, depressed, angry, I am just not me. My DH says I have split personalities and I think he is right. I am just tired of dealing with all this, taking so many pain killers and feeling bad most of the time. Sometimes, I just want to shut myself up in a room by myself and not come out until I feel better. You are the only one who knows how you feel and what you can deal with. Your husband is the next. My husband is very supportive of my decision because he sees what I have to go through. I have people who tell me I'm crazy for even considering this surgery, but they don't have to deal with what I deal with. I am a little scared, but I can't wait until I feel good and normal. I don't think I've ever felt normal as far as my female rep. organs go.
Good luck with your decision.
Unread 02-26-2002, 06:08 PM
still deciding

Hi Michelle,

I'm really glad to hear that your doctor recommended that you come to Hystersisters. While we can't make your decision for you, there is alot of good information here to help you sort out all your options. If you are not sure, you might want to get a second opinion, which is a good idea for any type of major surgery, like this.

Have you read through the stories that are on the first page of the site? Scroll down toward the bottom of the screen and you will see drop down menus.

You said you were afraid of the aftereffects. Since there are many different types of hysts, performed for many different reasons, the aftereffects will be different, so I am not sure what you have heard.

Please let us know what you decide to do.

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2002, 06:23 PM
still deciding

Hi Meg29 ,

I have read a couple of your other posts and know that you are waiting until June to have your surgery because then your kids will be out of school. It probably seems like forever right now, but the time will go by faster than you realize. And your DH sounds like a very supportive guy.

I noticed that you are also from Florida. Have you visited the Florida Neighborhood yet? Here's the link:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...526#post322526

We're planning a get together in Lakeland in a few weeks - we'd love to have you join us.

's

Karen
Unread 02-26-2002, 08:07 PM
still deciding

Hi Michelle,

Welcome to Hystersisters!

I can certainly understand your feelings and confusion on the differing opinions. I think making this kind of decision given the option would indeed be very hard.

Its great that you are researching and asking alot of questions, that will certainly help you make a decision that you will be comfortable with.

I was wondering if,given your family history, you've consulted with a Gyn-Oncologist? Since this is their specialty it may be something you might want to consider. They may be able to give you more specifics on what your risks might be taking into account your mom and aunt. I know it can be very hard when you have a family history of cancer, I had alot of cancer in my family also, although no ovarian prior to mine.

Another thing you might check into is gene testing. Some strains of ovarian can be identified by this, unfortunately, I don't believe all kinds can be however, I'm not positive on this but I do know that the type I had was a type linked to the breast cancer my mom had so would have been identified by the gene testing.

I wish you the best on your decision and hope you'll be able to get some answers that you'll be comfortable with. Please feel free to ask lots of questions and by all means, get as many opinions as you need to make an educated decision.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 02-26-2002, 08:21 PM
Hi Michelle

Sweety you know none of the people that have given you advice can make this decision, only you can do that. Your DH is so sweet to go along with what you want and I got a feeling he wants you back again. I started at the age of 10 and each year got worse for me it got to the point I was only having about 1 good week. I could never go anywhere or do anything because I was always feeling bad. Of course your family history is something to consider also. Read a lot of these experiences and see if you can get some answers. I have had a long jorney through the hormone jungle, but that is nothing compared to the pleasent life I have now. I can say I have done a total turn around. Even my DS who is 20, the only child I have, comments on how happier I seem. I feel great, the trip through the jungle is just a small blimp in my huge world. Read and maybe certain questions will come to mind. And just ask away. You are never alone here someone is always here 24/7. God Bless.
Unread 02-26-2002, 10:59 PM
reply to michelle

Hi Michelle,
I too have a similiar problem it
is true noone can decide for you.I know my Mom died when I was 1yr old of ovarian cancer,it
is a very difficult decision to make for me also.I have prolonged this thing for 5 yrs now.I think it is time I too made up my mind.I made an appt to see my GYN on March 7th I have to have something done.I have to have a total hysterectomy. I have a tumor that I have had for many years.I
keep the hope of going through menopause in hope that it will shrink, But it is time for me too.I didn't get my period for 10 months and thought the tumor would shrink.Now this month I get it 2 times,I too am disgusted and need to do something.I will pray that everything works out for you and you pray for me please.I know our Mom's will be looking over us with our decision.
Sue

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register