Questions - hyst scheduled March 11 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions - hyst scheduled March 11 Questions - hyst scheduled March 11

Unread 02-26-2002, 05:49 PM
Questions - hyst scheduled March 11

Hi ladies,

I have a TVH - keep my ovaries - scheduled on March 11. I've not had much response from my doctor...even to get a packet of info on what to expect, or even a consent form!

I was told I would need at least two weeks off work. (I am single and sole provider for my home) and I have 2 1/2 weeks sick pay to take and a week vacation if I need more, but ...who out there has had a TVH and how long was the recovery. I heard its much faster than abdominal.

Also, I am concerned about sex afterward. I am not currently sexually active..single, and don't believe in sex outside of marriage...but..would like to have that opportunity in the future.

How will I feel afterward. How long will I need to wear "comfy clothes?" How long until I can go up and down my steps? (my bedroom and bath are upstairs and I am going to camp out there as long as my daughter can stay with me (one week).

And...what do I need to buy..or take to the hospital.. and any other suggestions.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2002, 06:56 PM

Lindy,

Welcome So glad you found us!

I'll try to answer some of your questions, but I also suggest you check out the pull down menus on the hystersisters homepage. You'll see them at the bottom of the page and there are several including one for Ladies in Waiting, also for Punctured Princesses. Many of your questions about what to expect, what to take to the hospital, etc. will be answered there.

I had a TAH/BSO abotu 3 months ago, so I can't exactly relate to the TVH. However, everything I have read indicates that early recovery is 6 to 8 weeks, regardless of your type of incision. Soooo, you might want to think about taking more time off work. I work full time but was home for just over six weeks. Some ladies need more time, like 8 to 10 weeks. There are so many variables ... every surgery is a little bit different in terms of the problem(s) the lady has, her age, her tolerance for pain, etc.

As for sex ... yes, there is sex after a hyst! Although I had a TAH, I also gave birth to a daughter 20 years ago and had a nasty episiotomy, so I'm at least familiar with a vaginal incision. Bottom line ... most docs insist on no sex for six weeks, sometimes longer depending on how well you are healing. In my case we waited about 7 weeks, were pretty nervous at first, now everything works great

Steps .... my bedroom is upstairs too and I was allowed to do steps as soon as I came home, but I only did them one or two times a day for the first week or so. Comfy clothes ... I was wearing sweats in the evening at home LONG before my hyst. But sweats were perfect for me post hyst. Other ladies prefer flannel pjs.

Hope this has helped some. Keep reading and posting! We'll be here for you every step of the way!

Beth
Unread 02-26-2002, 07:50 PM

Hi, Lindy!
I had a TAH/BSO like Beth, so can't relate to the TVH. I had a pretty quick recovery. My hyst was 10/23/01 (a Tuesday). I took the rest of that week off (went home the Friday) and all of the following week. I was back to work - part time - the Monday after. I have a desk job and was able to go home (only 2 miles from work) when I got tired. My first week saw me working only about 4 hours/day. The week after that, I was up to 6 hours and then a full day by my 5th week post op.

As for the sex part, to me it's better. No pain, bleeding, cramping, etc. I had my ovaries removed, and am on the patch for hrt, but have had absolutely NO problems with dryness, pain, etc.

Steps - well, I'm single story here, but did manage a flight from the parking garage on my 6 week exam. Having the tummy incision was the main issue for me - it was a bit sore, but I managed.

Comfy clothes - I could stand them for about 2 weeks and then was in my jeans when I went back to work. Hint - invest in a good light panty girdle. Diamonds are cool - but lycra really IS a girls' best friend! (ha-ha) Again, this helped with the incision healing.

As for the list of what to bring, check with the pull-down menus. But I think you probably won't be in for a big stay at the castle, so don't get too carried away! I was on stool softeners post op, and had the gas-x on hand (didnt' really use it, tho) and if you're saying adios to the ovaries, don't forget to get your calcium. The chews really rock! Also, make sure you got some good food (heat-n-eat is okay, but try to stash away some good meals) for when you are home recovering. Stock up on plenty of fruit and fruit juices (helps to keep things moving!). Another helpful hint - ask your doc for your post-op pain meds prescription. Have it filled BEFORE you go in - that way, they'll be ready and waitin' for ya' when you get home!

Glad you found us 'cause this site was truly a godsend to me! Check back often and post as many questions as you need to. Sending hugs your way and best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery!

Hugs,
-di

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register