Freeking out | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-26-2002, 08:11 PM
Freeking out

Hi, this is all new to me, I'm 34, mom of 2, & have had all the symp of fibroids for years......now, it is unbearable....went to new DR in town, Campbellsville, KY, (and it was about time for a new DR). found the enlarged ut, did ultrasounds, I have a uterus the size of a 16 week pregnancy!!! along with fibroids the size of grapefruit. So, to me this explains all the pain, pressure, heavy, & I mean heavy bleeding....so, i read lots of info, talked w/ ladies who have had TAH/LAVH & kind of made up my mind...TAH!! Then I cried....FOR 2 DAYS....why? I don't know, I'm done w/ the baby thing, my kids are 10 & 11yrs, I know this will stop the bleeding, PAIN.... went to DR for consultation, she wants me to start taking Alese...some low dose BC pill....for 12 weeks, and then see if it is shrinking, DR has also put me on Anaprox for pain..So, now I am confused.... I had made up my mind that this is what I want to do, DR said that in 12 weeks, if things haven't changed we'll sched surg for 3 to4 weeks after that.... I have time problems w/ work & my kids, so I suggested Sept. she then agreed, I guess she wants me to REALLY think about what I am about to do. Anyway...... I have had surg before... laparoscopy, tubal ligation, gall bladder removed... it still scares the stuff out of me... I have started preparing my house, painting, cleaning, etc. from what I've read on the forum, get everything ready before you go...
sorry so longwinded... expected TAH & keeping overies 9/02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2002, 08:51 PM
Hi Sweety

Hey don't get we are here to help calm you down. Sometimes they want to shrink the before they remove it, because it is easier to get out. So stay close and read a lot and by the time Sept gets here you will be an expert. God Bless.
Unread 02-27-2002, 05:13 AM
Freeking out

To clarify: birth control pills are NOT going to shrink fibroids, but they may help with the heavy bleeding. If it works, you might avoid surgery , unless you still have pressure.Heavy bleeding is usually due to small fibroids rather than large ones. The large ones often cause pressure.

Lupron is the drug used to shrink fibroids temporarily before surgery (it puts you in instant menopause- the lack of estrogen usually shrinks the fibroids). With a grapefruit size fibroid you won't need Lupron in preparation for a hysterectomy. It might be helpful for a myomectomy, but that would be up to your doctor.

If you don't have many fibroids, consider having a uterine artery embolism. Check this site under the hysterectomy alternatives area for more info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2002, 06:47 AM
Freaking Out

I can related to you. I wish you the best. Sounds to me like you know what you want done.
I am new at this site & 36 years old with a 15 year old & 11 year old.
I went to the doctor recently. He wants to do possible TVH or TAH, depending on what things look like when he get in there. Unlike your doctor he want to jump right into it on 3/8/02, I am thinking this is too soon, I need time to think. Too many unanswered questions at this point, maybe the both of us can find the answer we need from this site.

Good luck to you. :confuse:
Unread 02-27-2002, 07:23 AM
Freeking out

I can sure relate to the doc wanting to wait.

I managed to get referred to an OB/GYN twice in 6 years. I was put on BC pills...had my tubes tied.....tried (can't remember the name) the medicine that stops your menstruation completely.....tried the stuff that makes you have one....had a Lap done...cervical biopsy....ultrasounds...MRIs.....CT scans....even had a colonoscopy done.

So when I was referred to my OB/GYN this time, I was absolutely NOT prepared for him to walk in and ask me if the first of March was good for me to have a hyst!! To say he floored me would be an understatement. I have had every test there is to have...and some of them 4 or 5 times.

I thought I was ready for the surgery. Just get it all out of there so I could stop hurting, and bleeding, and bloating. Maybe be able to get a job!

Until I was scheduled. And discovered that the doc thinks that since it has been ignored by other docs for so long it has the chance of being cancerous. Whatever the IT may be. I cried the entire hour it took me to get home from the doc that day. And felt like it all the time for a few days afterward. I think that what shocked me the most is that I finally found a doc that doesn't want to beat around the bush! Bless civilian clinics, not so many protocals to follow.

I guess my point is this. This surgery is a serious thing to consider. Even when you think you're ready, the reality of it can be somewhat shocking. Take the time to really research it and make sure it is the solution you need/want. Once it is done, there is no turning back.

I wish you all the luck in the world in making your decision. You have definitely come to the right place to find out if it is right for you and to help you get ready for it if it is.

Nakona
:usflag:
Unread 02-27-2002, 03:20 PM
Freeking out

Thank you all so much for your words of wisdom...i guess its just a waiting game now..... i go back to my DR in may for another check after a couple round of bc pills...will keep you all posted

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register