Meds prior to surgery | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Meds prior to surgery Meds prior to surgery

Unread 02-26-2002, 10:06 PM
Meds prior to surgery

I thought I had seen a list of medications/herbs to avoid prior to surgery somewhere on this site. But now I can't find it. Did I dream it up? What types of meds were you instructed to stop before surgery and how long before?

I am wondering about things like over the counter cold remedies/ allergy meds etc.

Thanks

10 days and counting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2002, 04:30 AM
Meds prior to surgery

Hi, Here is a list of Herbals that shouldn't be taken prior to surgery.

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/ann...?s=&forumid=23

Just click on the link above. This link is actually at the top of the pre-op page. Don't worry about not finding it, it's just a normal case of brain fog . We all have it.
As for otc meds or meds of any type, please give your doctor or the pre-admission area of the hospital a call. Most are very specific as to what you can and more importantly can't take. I wouldn't take anything without a doctor's approval if I were you. Some medications and herbs can actually cause your surgery to be postponed if you've taken them to close to the surgery date. One that was specifically asked on my pre-admission form was for St. John's Wort. They said on the form if I had taken it 10 days prior to surgery, that my surgery would have to be postponed. Call and check to be sure. You won't want something like this to hold everything up. Take care!
Unread 02-27-2002, 05:08 AM
drugs pre-op

I agree with NancH. Also, if they don't know what you have taken in the last 2 weeks, it could lead to life threatening problems, such as excessive bleeding or interactions with the anesthesia, antibiotics, or pain killers they give you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2002, 08:53 AM
Meds prior to surgery

I know from experience that you must not take aspirin or anything similar to that before surgery. Tylenol/acetiminophen is okay. Also certain anti inflammatories such as Celebrex must be avoided. Vitamin E and flaxseed oil cannot be taken because they both cause bleeding. Best thing is to check with your doctor and ask him about anything you are not sure of and even if they neglect to tell you about aspirin, vitamin E, etc. better to not use them. Good luck with your surgery.

Lyra
5 days and counting

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register