I got the go-ahead! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I got the go-ahead! I got the go-ahead!

Unread 02-27-2002, 05:49 AM
I got the go-ahead!

I saw my pcp last night. What I thought was uterine prolapse is actually vaginal prolapse. Seems I have a class 4 rectocele and class 2 cystocele. My uterus is dropping but is not the big problem. However, the pcp wants me to see a gyn to get a hysterectomy and rectocele/cystocele repair. Interesting?

My question is this? Do I have to get my cervix and vagina removed? Either/Or? If they do a vaginal hysto, does that mean the cervix HAS to come out? What happens to the vagina?

I am very happy with the prospects of surgery. Not worried at all about that. Ready whenever they are! BUT I am a bit anxious about the cervix and vagina questions.

And if I get the vagina removed, what about sex???? I was told the cervix is support for the upper vaginal wall. Without it, it would eventually collapse.

HELP!! :

Joann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2002, 09:24 AM
I got the go-ahead!

Hi Joann!

As far as I know, if you have a vaginal hyst, the cervix is removed. There may be some procedure that allows you to keep the cervx, but not one that I'm aware of.

When the cervix is removed, the vagina is sewn closed where the cervix used to be. This is usually called a "vaginal cuff". Picture a toilet roll tube, pinched off at the end!

I had an abdominal hysterectomy, but also had my cervix removed. I haven't had any difficulties at all with sex, and neither my husband nor I can tell any difference.

Definitely talk to you doctor about all your options, and make sure you are completely comfortable with your decision BEFORE you have this very major surgery. Good luck!
Unread 02-27-2002, 09:52 AM
vaginal hysto

Thanks for your reply.

I am very positive about this surgery. I have absolutely no qualms about it. I am ready.

But, like I said in my other post, I am nervous about the cervix and vaginal areas. I am only 41 but have soooo many other things going on, ie. back pain, daily migraines, constipation every other day, general blah feeling down there. I am really ready.

I go to see the new GYN on March 13. From there, I hope to schedule surgery for the first week of April when my 4 teenagers will be home from high school for spring break. They can help me out. Then my husband won't miss so much work. If I need to go to the doctor, all of my kids have driving permits (one is licensed, the other three are learning). SOMEBODY can drive me, right???

Thank you so much for your support. I will keep you and everyone else posted on my condition.

Joann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2002, 11:15 AM
I got the go-ahead!

I had a TVH-BSO; I am not aware that a cervix is not removed in a vag hyst procedure. The vagina is not removed, the term vaginal hysterectomy tells the approach to perform the hysterectomy. I can't tell you how everything functions sex-wise yet, not released for action til next week!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register