Rectocele success...Vaginal Vault Prolapse | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Rectocele success...Vaginal Vault Prolapse Rectocele success...Vaginal Vault Prolapse

Unread 02-27-2002, 09:53 AM
Rectocele success...Vaginal Vault Prolapse

Interesting visit with my Dr. Monday. Just thought I'd share here as well as on Post op. Glad to hear your comments.

I had read the FAILURE rate over 5 years for RECTOCELE REPAIR is 80%. My Dr. quoted 75-80% failure in 5 years.

"How can I ensure that I will have the best chance of SUCCESS with this repair?" I asked.

"Don't lift anything over 10 pounds." came the answer.

"For how long?" I ask.

She looks at me as if to say "Think".

I do. And then I ask. "Forever?"

Reluctantly she nods. "Yes" and adds, "If you really want to be in the 15-20% that is your best hope. If you can't do that forever, at least do it for the first six (6) months."

Then she adds," Lifting is the main cause of failure for VAGINAL VAULT PROLAPSE, TOO, all of us who have had a hyst are vulnerable to that calamity . Lifting weakens the repair and it can get too weak to hold. EECK!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2002, 01:21 PM
Rectocele, Cystocele, Uterine Prolapse, Vaginal Vault Prolapse

Hi!
I have been diagnosed with the above problems, which have become severe enough to require a pessary until my surgery. The pessary is simply to keep everything from "falling out". When the hysterectomy is done by my gyn, the repairs will be done by my uro.
Like you, I was told about the 10 lb. rule. Unfortunately, my teaching position is with severely handicapped students. They have a multitude of PT equipment that they must be postioned in. In addition to all of the positioning in equipment, my students (16 - 21 years & 70 - 125 lbs) must be diapered, fed, etc. Because of this my doctors will not allow me to return to teaching for at least 12 weeks & then, like you said, nothing over 10 pounds for at least a year (preferably never). At this point I am really nervous. I have 7 years left until retirement. I have a lot to think about before the 2002 fall term. I definitely want to be in that small percentage of long term successes.
Sorry I don't have any answers. But, I do know where you are coming from.

Rayna
Unread 02-27-2002, 04:07 PM
please explain further...

how is apessary done? ghsangel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2002, 04:49 PM

I was told the same thing for a SAH. I am a nurse on an orthopedic unit (very physical, lots of lifting). I will be requesting a transfer off that unit as soon as I get back to work. In addition, my doctor signed for me to have the full 8-week disability. Thank you for the information.

MissPennyUSA
Unread 02-27-2002, 05:04 PM

Hi Shirl0,

Thank you for your post!!

And thanks to Rayna and MissPenny for their added information.

I had not been told that by my doctor, and although I was a very good for the first 6 or 7 weeks, I have been doing quite a lot of lifting lately and have felt some internal twinges that have made me wonder.

After reading your posts, I will be lifting nothing over 10 lbs from now on.

I wish you all the best with your surgeries and recovery and it sounds as if you've all got very good doctors who will be looking out for you and your continued success.

's

Karen
Unread 02-27-2002, 05:04 PM
Prolapses

Hi ladies,
I had my lavh last year due to prolapses. I am now facing more surgery for this problem. (3rd in a year)
I now have it all... bladder neck, cystocele, vault, entrocele, rectocele, and perineal descent. It is criminal that doctors don't have to tell ladies about prolapses when they have a hysterecotmy for any reason. Worse yet is how few gyn's have any idea about prolapses or urogynocology. If you need information or just to talk with ladies who have similar issues. There is a great site called UPRISE.

http://communities.ninemsn.com.au/choiceforprolapse

Every woman who has a hysterectomy should have their vault secured with mesh or fascia. Unfortunatly many gyns still use the same ligaments that held up the uterus.
I have spent the past year learning the hard way about this issue. Uprise has been a God send to me. the ladies there are so wonderful. I hope you stop in and say hi. If you have any questions or need to talk you can feel free to email me.
Big hugs to you all
Shirley
aka OCNJGRL
Unread 02-27-2002, 06:01 PM
Pessary

GHSANGEL25,

A pessary comes in various shapes and sizes depending upon several factors (Ex. urinary incontinence or not, etc.). Mine is flesh colored rubber (?) shaped like a doughnut with thinner material in the middle. The middle is not solid - to allow for fluids to flow through. To put it in you fold it in half, place some lubrication jelly on it, and push it up into the vagina. Once it is in far enough in, it is supposed to flip into position on its on. It has to be taken out for sex, and to be cleaned at least once a week. There was one that was cube shaped with little suction cups all over it. The therapist or doctor chooses the fit and style based on your needs.

I do not like using a pessary. It is only a temporary measure to prevent things from falling more before surgery.

I hope this helps a little. In addition to the pessary my doctor had me to do biofeedback therapy for 6 sessions. She said it would help me to isolate the vaginal muscles from my abdominal muscles. The biofeedback was kind of fun. I learned that my vaginal strength was good, but that I sure had very little control of it. You contract your vaginal muscles while watching the results on a monitor - almost like playing a video game with the vagina!!

Rayna

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register