remove ovaries?? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

remove ovaries?? remove ovaries??

Unread 02-27-2002, 10:34 AM
remove ovaries??

I am scheduled for a TAH in a couple of weeks. I have been reading everyones posts here and all thru the different forums. I notice that some ladies keep their ovaries and some don't. I know that removal is based on medical reasons sometimes, and at other times to prevent future medical problems. I'm just curious how many ladies had their ovaries removed to prevent future problems, even if their ovaries were fine at the time of surgery. I will be 46 soon and already have had menaposal symptoms for at least 3 years. I am getting a hyst. due to enlarged fibroids and heavy, heavy periods. I worried about leaving the ovaries in only to have to remove them at a later date. If I do have them removed I plan on using bio-identical estrogens. Thanks for any info. and I have really benefited from reading everyones posts here and I have bought the Hystersisters book and it has been better than any other book I have on hysterectomies!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2002, 10:54 AM
remove ovaries??

I am 53 and had TVH-BSO for fibroids and adenomyosis-lots of pain and heavy bleeding. I wanted my ovaries removed as I am a wimp about surgery and wanted to clean house while I was there! The pathology showed I also had endo of one of tubes, which of course probably would have spread and I would have continued to have pain. I was so glad I made that decision. I am currently on Estraderm patch, which I haven't decided for sure if I will stay on it or go with another method of HRT. I can't remember being pain free for 5 weeks (I am 5 weeks post op), I can't remember being pain free for a week prior surgery! It was the right decision for me, however keep gathering information so you can make an informed decision that you are comfortable with.

Unread 02-27-2002, 11:43 AM
remove ovaries??

If you are already getting menopausal symptoms, then the benefit of keeping your ovaries is going to be very short-lived. What does your doctor say?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2002, 12:41 PM
remove ovaries??

I agree 100 % with "Gee"...I felt while the doctor was removing the rest, he might as well remove the ovaries, too. I am 41 years old, and had just started perimenopausal symptoms. I didn't want to keep something inside me if it had the potential of causing problems on down the road...not if my doctor already had me opened up for surgery. It's YOUR decision..no one else's...so think it over before you make one.
Unread 02-27-2002, 03:17 PM
remove ovaries??

I am 47 and scheduled for tomorrow for a TAH/BSO. The Doctor recommend to me that I have both ovaries removed because of my age. But he said it was my decision. I also have endometerious and keeping my ovaries will only contribute to that. So both ovaries will be removed tomorrow.
Unread 02-27-2002, 03:20 PM
remove ovaries??

Thanks to all for answering. The dr. said it "was a coin toss" on whether I wanted to keep my ovaries or not. He said it was my decision but I sensed he was leaning towards wanting to remove them and I am leaning in that direction also. Why leave something to worry about especially as I am heading into menopause anyway. Thanks again!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register