TAH hospital stay length???? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH hospital stay length???? TAH hospital stay length????

Unread 02-27-2002, 02:37 PM
TAH hospital stay length????

I went back for my last visit to the gyn with all my gazillion questions, he said I would only be in the hospital probably 24 hours, is he serious????? I have to have EVERYTHING out, have fibroids, tons of adhesions, and a tumor of 1cm inside my right ovary (scary). My tubes are blocked and everything is stuck together, intestines,bladder etc.... Is it possible I will only be in there 24 hours???? I'm scared to be in the hospital, not the surgery itself (have panic attacks being confined) also I'm scared of the bowel problems I keep reading about (have IBS). I can deal with pain, just don't mess my stomach or intestines up, can't deal with nausea and the general meds are pretty rough on me, so do you think it's safe to turn me out after 24 hours? (also have the ERT therapy to deal with starting). I don't need to freak out at home cause I'm not close to the hospital. (I know I worry too much, as I'm CONSTANTLY told), I'm just scared, don't have anyone here to talk to that understands. Thanks for everyones replys to my other post, God Bless, means alot to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2002, 03:40 PM

Hi KGrace,

I had a TAH/BSO on Feb. 1 and left the hospital on Feb. 5. I had thought I would leave on Feb. 4, but I was running a temp and they would not let me leave until it was normal. I think my length of stay was pretty typical. I was VERY anxious to go home, but there is NO WAY I would have been able to leave 24 hours after the surgery. I don't want to scare you, but the first day after the surgery is usually the hardest. My surgery was on a Friday morning, I was pretty much out of it the rest of that day, the next day (Saturday) they removed my cathetar and got me up to walk to the bathroom. There is no way I could have even endured the car ride home. I was pretty much miserable, it does get better thank goodness, but it is rough in the beginning.

I would wonder why your dr. wants to release you so soon. I know a lot of women post messages about sailing through their surgeries, but make no mistake, this is major surgery and our bodies need time and care, especially in the beginning.

My gosh, if you do go home that early, I hope you have someone taking care of you. Good luck and keep us posted.
Unread 02-27-2002, 03:47 PM

Hi Gracie! Try not to stress out too much! I had my surgery on a Tues. a.m. and went home on Thurs. a.m. I would check with your insurance co. They will let you know. My doc told me I could leave the next day, but as long as I was approved, I was willing to stay the extra night. I had the greatest nurses and they made my hospital stay very pleasant. I'm not a big fan of hospitals either. As for your stomach and nausea, they will give you something for that if you are having general anesthesia. I had an epidural so I didnt have any nausea. As for the bowel stuff.... I took my own stool softners to the hosp. and started taking them the day after surgery. I went to the bathroom on my own about 4 days later with no problems. After that, I did have a little bit of an upset tummy for a few days, but that soon passed. I hadnt been in the hospital in 17 years and had never had surgery. This really wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. Now I feel wonderful!!! I will be thinking about you and hope that you have happier days ahead!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2002, 05:14 PM

Hello Gracie: My gosh I could not imagine going home the day after, My TAH/BSO was on Friday and I left hospital Monday afternoon, and basically have done zip since, other than go back and get my staples out. I was very nervous about the bowl thing also, 3 days before surgery I really started watching what I ate. the day before my surgery I only took fluids, and also gave myself a suppository on the wednesday night. I wanted to make sure there was no stool in me, I was told it is easier for them too see what they are doing in there also.But anyhow right from the get go I drank alot of water, did not have anything solid until the sunday night. On moday I had my first bm and everyday since, eating good food(not lots) and drinking plenty of water and walking around the house about every hour during the day. Seems to be doing the trick for me, I was so very worried about the bm and my hemmoroids, but because I have been watching myself I dont even have problems with my hemmies. Hope this helps..Take Care...s
Unread 02-27-2002, 06:08 PM

I had my TAH BSO on a wed morning and went home on Friday afternoon, I could have come home on thrursday but I was more ready to come home on Friday ( I had no children at home, I know the women who have children at home find it more difficult, understandable so). I'd say stay as long as your insurance will pay if you are not ready to come home
Unread 02-27-2002, 07:34 PM

Hi Gracie,
I had a TAH/BSO on a Thursday afternoon, went home Saturday at noon. However, when my gyn saw me Friday afternoon he told me it takes some ladies three days to look as good as I did and that I could go home then if I wanted to! I opted to stay until Saturday, but really was much more comfortable once I got home. 24 hours is not long for someone who had a TAH, but typical for ladies that have had a LAVH.

Hang in there, you'll make it!

Beth
Unread 02-28-2002, 04:00 AM

I stayed 3 days....went in on a Wednesday morning and came home Saturday right after lunch.
Unread 02-28-2002, 06:51 AM
hospital stay

Hi Gracie,

I had TAH/BSO on friday Feb 15th, my stay was 5 days and 4 nites. Mainly it was because they had trouble with my breathing and blood pressure after surgery. It took them until saturday afternoon to get everything running right. I go for my 2 week check-up today(minus 1 day). Had my staples out 6 days after surgery. Everything is going pretty good.
Good Luck and just take it easy afterwards!
B-Jean

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register