Subtotal Laparoscopic Hyst. and left ovary questions | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Subtotal Laparoscopic Hyst. and left ovary questions Subtotal Laparoscopic Hyst. and left ovary questions

Unread 02-27-2002, 05:44 PM
Subtotal Laparoscopic Hyst. and left ovary questions

First, thanks to the gals who answered my earlier (January) questions about keeping my ovaries...esp Toonces.

I have two 2 1/2" fibroids, and a couple of cysts on the left ovary a solid mass, and an endometrioma. I am almost 51 and still menstruating. Get to keep my healthy right ovary and cervix.

Originally was scheduled for March 5 S-TAH but my surgeon was really keen on a piece of equipment called a "Marcellator"...in her words "it chomps up tissue and spits it out"..nice visual! New date is April 5 and now it is a laparo procedure. I wasn't prepared for the change in plans so I didn't have new questions ready. I don't have another appointment before surgery. Maybe you can help:

a) has anybody had this new technology in their procedure?
b) what approx. is the length of hosp. stay for lap-surgery?
c) surgeon thinks the remaining ovary will/may compensate for the missing one but I've been reading about ovarian shock post surgery and that it recovers about 50% of time. Has anybody around my age had anything similar or heard of this?
d) I'm prepared to have HRT but when will I need to start? I've read that some surgeons put a patch on before the patient goes into recovery. Is it a wait and see situation?
d) I was all set with my pillow. Will I still need it?

I'm ready and confident .. only one more period to go (I hope)

Thanks for any insight you can offer. Will probably have more questions later.

Jill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2002, 06:01 PM
Lap supra

Hi Jill,

I'm waiting to see some responses to your post as well. I had my surgery consult today and my gyn is doing the same procedure. I will keep both ovaries and my cervix. My gyn is doing the procedure in an outpatient surgical center. He says I will have the surgery around noon and then be released either late that day or early the next morning. I was a little shocked to hear that I wouldn't be staying in a traditional hospital but he says he likes this center better for this particular procedure. He says all the rooms are private and each patient has their own nurse. He also told me that the procedure only takes 45 minutes! My mother refers to it as "drive-by surgery." LOL. Gosh, I hope that the surgicenter counts as a castle and I still get to have a crown! Good Luck to you.

Blondi45
Unread 03-01-2002, 04:41 AM
Re: Subtotal Laparoscopic Hyst. and left ovary questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Jill1951
Originally was scheduled for March 5 S-TAH but my surgeon was really keen on a piece of equipment called a "Marcellator"

a) has anybody had this new technology in their procedure?
b) what approx. is the length of hosp. stay for lap-surgery?
c) surgeon thinks the remaining ovary will/may compensate for the missing one but I've been reading about ovarian shock post surgery and that it recovers about 50% of time. Has anybody around my age had anything similar or heard of this?
d) I'm prepared to have HRT but when will I need to start? I've read that some surgeons put a patch on before the patient goes into recovery. Is it a wait and see situation?
d) I was all set with my pillow. Will I still need it?
Dear Jill,

It's spelled "morcellator", and the technology isn't really new. They have been using it for gall bladders for years

As for some of your other questions:
c) My doc quoted me that 50% of ovaries may shut down within 5 years of a hyst. I am almost 3 years post-op (TVH), and my ovaries seem to be doing ok so far A body can function on just one ovary (it will work harder!!), just as a body can function with one kidney or one lung.
d) You may wanna ask the HRT question on the Hormone Jungle forum.
e) I used the pillow on my tummy between me & seatbelt in the car, and i always felt like holding my tummy when I walked around the first week or so.

I hope some of this info helps... sending cyberhugs!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2002, 04:58 AM
Subtotal Laparoscopic Hyst. and left ovary questions

Hi Jill!

Thanks for the update on the change in plans for your surgery. I'm glad to hear that you will be able to keep your cervix and an ovary. In many cases, the remaining ovary will continue to secrete good hormones.

I had TAH/BSO, so I don't have first-hand experience with the lap surgery, but I have read about gals who have, and their hospital stays ranged from 1 to 3 nights, I think, depending on how their vitals were progressing.

In my opinion, the tummy pillow may still come in handy for you, as the surgery will leave the area vulnerable, and the pillow is great for keeping things from getting too jostled, and is especially helpful when riding in a car, to put between tummy and seatbelt.

Since you will not be having a formal consult with your DR prior to your surgery, I think it would be a good idea to get a list of questions together and give her/him a call to ask these questions over the phone. I think it's important for you to have your answers before going in, particularly about hospital stay and HRT.

We'll be here for ya throughout your journey! Keep us posted!

(((((((HUGS)))))))

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register