New With Lots Of Questions | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New With Lots Of Questions New With Lots Of Questions

Unread 02-27-2002, 08:25 PM
New With Lots Of Questions

Hi, I am new to the HysterSisters site. I have been reading the messages for several days now and wanted to join in. You are a lovely lot of LIW's and Princesses. I am 54 years old with a bad medical history. I have asthma, diabetes, sleep apnea, and supraventricular tachycardia. I also had a lumpectomy, DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ) 12/13/01. My two sisters had breast cancer and we think our mother did as well. My mom died age 50, & one sister died from breast cancer in Sept. My tumor was considered a precancer, but I am definitely high on the list for getting invasive cancer. I am on Tamoxifen which causes blood clots and uterine cancer. I have always had severe problems with hemorrhaging during my menstrual cycles, had endo and a D & C in 1993. Up until 5 months ago, I had severe periods with bleeding at odd times in the month. All of a sudden, they stopped with only occasionally light spotting or bleeding. I had a PAP test and exam on 1/31/02. Dr. thought I had polpys. Had ultrasound the next week. Dx- Problable large fibroids with enlarged, severly tilted uterus. One tumor size of a grapefruit, 2nd a baseball. My M.D. sent me to a gyn. Both concluded, as well as I, that I need a hysterectomy. My past history of hemorrhaging, severe pain and fibroids, plus the addition of the Tamoxifen causing uterine cancer indicate I need this done. I had a endo biopsy on Monday and will get results Friday, when they will decide the date of the hysterectomy. The doctor will also take the ovaries out.

Now that I know it will be happening soon, I am starting to get nervous. What concerns me is the Tamoxifen thing. I can not take hormone replacement therapy. What happens if you can't have that? I am having mild menopausal symptoms with the Tamoxifen. Also, the general anesthesia worries me. If I have a sleep apnea event while under, will they know it and be able to help? I made a list to ask the dr. but don't know if I will see him again before the operation. The endo biopsy was very painful and difficult for him to perform--- he was ready to send me over to the hospital for an operation right then.

Sorry this is so long. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks and God bless to all who are going to the castle soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2002, 10:05 PM

Wow -- Sharon -- that sounds rough. I'd ask your doc about your questions about a sleep apnea event during surgery -- I'm sure they can handle it and they might be able to quell your fears.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with so many difficult things all at once. Good luck with your surgery.

s

Melissa
Unread 02-27-2002, 10:18 PM

I'm sorry to hear about all your problems. That's quite a load to live with. I am 12 days post op from TVH. I can't give you much advice, as I don't know anything about most of what is ailing you.
The one thing I can tell you is that you will more than likely have a meeting with the anesthesiologist who will be attending you. Just make sure that he/she knows about your problems before hand. The majority of them are very good. It is their job to monitor you just before and during surgery. They are trained on what to watch for and would be able to tell if you went into any distress. Another thing is I have read many posts in here about women who just had a spinal block and a tranquilizer.
I hope this helps a little. I'm sure there will be someone along shortly to answer your other questions. Also you might try the little purple search button at the top of the pages. You can search by keyword of what you are looking for.
You have found a wonderful place for support and information. Anytime you feel like asking questions or just venting, there are people here 24/7 to offer help. Also you might want to try going into chat. There is almost always someone there to talk to.
Sending 's and 'ers to you!!
Kelkie(Kelly)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2002, 04:54 AM

My mother-in-law has sleep apnea and when she had her hyst, they had her sitting almost upright in recovery. It seemed to work for her, but when you have your pre op work up, mention it to everyone. It might help to keep a list of questions, so when you see your dr you won't forget anything regarding your concerns and medications. If you are not scheduled to see your dr and feel a need to talk to him, make an appt prior to your surgery, this is not unusual and he will want you to be well informed and comfortable going into surgery. Good luck!

Unread 02-28-2002, 04:55 AM

I can only help with asthma and sleep apnea, since I have both. I had general anesthesia with no problem at all. Do ask your doctor and the anesthiologist about a spinal, as one of the responders suggested. Best of luck to you!!!!!
Unread 02-28-2002, 06:22 AM

I am talking from my friends experience who had hyst at age 34 and did not use hrt because of breast cancer history in her family. She is 46 now, doing wonderful. She makes sure to take enough calcium with magnesium, and soy pills that help with menopausal symptoms. She does get hot flashes, but not terrible. Also, she makes sure she eats good healthy food, lots fruits and veggies.
Unread 02-28-2002, 04:17 PM

Hi, Sisters!

Thank you so much for your very helpful replies and prayers and hugs.

I forgot I will be seeing my M.D. on Tuesday, so I will be able to ask him some questions--he is assisting in the surgery.

Kelkie, thanks for the info on the spinal block with tranquilizers. The info from Gee about sitting up is helpful also. I will have so much more to ask now. Wachusett, I am glad to know others who have sleep apnea and asthma have gone through this well. It means so much to have your input as well. How long were you in the hospital? And Nela, thanks for the info on the calcium, magnesium and soy pills. I take herbal supplements but did not know about soy pills and that calcium and magnesium could help. All of this information will help me to be ready with all the questions I need to ask and most especially, all you have said is so reassuring. Thank you so much for your help.

I have many more questions, so I'll be in touch again. One is about the wedge pillow for the bed. I read a message about this but now I can't find it. Where would you get one? When would you use it?

Thanks, and 's to each of you.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register