HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

day 5 and very unhappy bowel day 5 and very unhappy bowel

Unread 05-28-2013, 12:56 PM
day 5 and very unhappy bowel

I think i am making a good recovery even managed a slow walks around the block twice today. After the op i had awful gas pain that radiated to my shoulders and neck but this has gone away. Now on day 5, during last night i had really severe gas pain that was low down and it was swirling swirling and sharp. I think i drank too much fresh orange and prune juice as i have been really constipated. This morning the pain was shooting up my back passage and i passed tons of painful gas all day and did manage to poop a bit. Now when walking i feel tender. Nurse advised to stop iron and i have tried to cut back on co codomal to reduce constipation and upped water intake.
How long will this gas pain last and will i just wake up one day and it will be gone? Is this normal? Any advice would be great as its really uncomfortable. I also have thrush. 'great'
Unread 05-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Re: day 5 and very unhappy bowel

I'm 4 days post op and thats my question cause the pain is so bad, worse then natural child birth
Unread 05-28-2013, 02:34 PM

I've been taking 3 iron pills a day due to loss of blood, but also 3 Colace a day as well. My dr also had orders to stay on a soft diet until the bowel was back to normal. I still get some gas pain in the shoulders but sit and breath through them. Deep breath in and then out, it helps pass the sharp pains.

If you haven't had a bowel movement at 5 days you may want to start Milk of Magenessia (liquid) daily until it comes. This is what I had to do after both my myomectomy and c/s surgeries.
Unread 05-28-2013, 03:11 PM
day 5 and very unhappy bowel

[quote=March2010JCF;4102965]I've been taking 3 iron pills a day due to loss of blood, but also 3 Colace a day as well. My dr also had orders to stay on a soft diet until the bowel was back to normal. I still get some gas pain in the shoulders but sit and breath through them. Deep breath in and then out, it helps pass the sharp pains.

It was the midnight hour day 4 and my stomach was so swollen and hurt something terrible. I walked, took colace , drank apple juice and took milk of mag twice a day on day 4. And it finally happened!!! Milk of mag is the bomb !
Unread 05-28-2013, 11:54 PM

Thanks ladies, woke up this morning and feeling not too bad!
Shooting pains have settled and hoping it stays that way. I was able to stop iron because my iron levels are good but plan to start it in a few weeks again. I am also eating natural yogurt to address the thrush issue.
Quick question, is everyone still wearing their compression stockings at bedtime? I find them hot but doing as i was told! When can we stop wearing them?
Hope we feel better soon xx
Unread 05-29-2013, 02:34 AM

Hi Suze, i was told to wear them for a full 6 weeks but everyone seems to have had such different instructions from their PCP so if in doubt why not ring the ward and check?. Gee whizz it was finally good to take them off and see my legs !! Hope your gas pains stay away and that your yoghurt does the trick. Stay well.
Unread 05-29-2013, 05:06 AM

My doctor said nothing about wearing compression stockings at home.
Unread 05-29-2013, 09:26 AM

I took a whole box of Gas X and a whole bottle of Colace to the hospital with me. As soon as I got to my room I started taking the Colace 2 times a day and the Gas X 4 times a day. I also ate Activia yogurt everyday and am drinking lots of Apple juice too. My surgery was 6 days ago and I still have gas pains. I have pooped every morning since the 2nd post op day but it is a little difficult. I think that no matter what we do we are going to have the horrible gas pains. I wish every woman who has a hysterectomy all the luck in the world but the only advice I can give is to do what I did and also drink LOTS of water and walk as much as you can. My husband takes me for walks 2 times a day and laughs his butt off as I fart my way around my block. But it really works ladies. I promise.
Unread 05-29-2013, 12:16 PM

Compression stockings are supposed to help prevent blood clots, among other things. Kinda like the leg massagers used in the hospital.

If you're walking a lot, you may not need them. But if your doctor said to wear them, you probably should keep wearing them until the doctor says to stop. For a friend of mine who had a different surgery recently, that was when he was walking two miles every day. For me at the rate I'm going, that might not happen in the next six months.

Reading some of the other threads, it looks like gas can be an issue for weeks, if not months. Yesterday marked the end of three weeks post-TAH for me and I'm still taking my Gas-X faithfully.

and
Unread 05-30-2013, 03:38 AM

Aw thanks again for all the advice. Had a great poo this morning ha ha! !! Sorry very graphic. bowel pain not so bad but now got a urinary tract infection. All this must be contributing to the pain. I do think these bowel medicines make me worse though, so trying to steer clear. Stopping iron and natural yogurt with lots of friendly bacteria has helped. Still wearing the sweaty stockings at bedtime x

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.