How much activity after TAH | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much activity after TAH How much activity after TAH

Unread 02-28-2002, 05:19 AM
How much activity after TAH

Hi everyone,

When I went to my obgyn Tuesday to talk about my surgery, she said that I should try to be active and move around after sugery to promote healing. She also said that if I wanted to clean out closets and such to go for it, just not to be lifting stuff. Unfortunately my husband was with me and I'm afraid he's going to be trying to get me to do all sorts of chores during my recovery. When I said that I would be okay after surgery on my own as long as he had a cooler of drinks, etc. in the bedroom for me, he replied that no - I need to be moving around as much as possible. I live in a 3 story colonial and going to the kitchen to get a soda means going up and down stairs. The doctor said that in the beginning I could probably manage stairs 3-4 times a day. I was really hoping for some pampering and rest after this surgery. I'm starting to feel like it's just going to be a battle of whether I'm doing enough. Has anyone else had this problem?

btw, I'll be having the TAH April 8th.

Thanks everyone!
Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2002, 05:44 AM

I've gotta say agree with your Dr, I think the reason some of the Ladies are complaining about fatigue when returning to work and aching muscles are sore and tired from innactivity, laying in bed with a cooler of soft drinks will only make you ache more.
I didn't have trouble with stairs but if you do, you can stay down stairs during the day and rest on the sofa. I didn't clean any closets, was very cafefull of lifting, reaching and stretching, but other than that I just got on with it, they will have you up and walking in the hospital. You will not be helpless, don't be afraid
of that, you will be suprised that you will want to move around
and not lay in bed other than for naps. My Dr was like yours
and wanted me to " move right along, as he put it) but he was very adament about No lifting, bending, stretching. I don't think
I would have wanted to clean closets though. The best of luck, fear not>
Unread 02-28-2002, 05:50 AM

Yes, stairs 3-4 times a day seems realistic. I began taking walks around my neighborhood 3 days after a TAH; walked every day and worked up to 3 miles by week 3 post op. My doctor had the same opinion about walking and stairs aiding recovery, and in my case it worked. Other than that I relaxed around the house and spent most of the day reading. I also have a large colonial , but I did not stay upstairs in my bedroom during the day- I spent most of the day on the first floor in my family room, which is adjacent to the kitchen.

Being somewhat active as your doctor recommends does not mean overdoing household chores, however. If you feel like cleaning out closets, go ahead. If are doing too much, you will be extremely tired the next day and will definitely need to coast that day. Remind your husband that it is still major surgery and you won't be 100% until at least 4 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2002, 05:56 AM

You do need to move around, but only if it's not causing you a lot of pain. There's a fine line between getting yourself active again and causing damage to the surgical area. My Dr was adamant about the stair restrictions, lifting restrictions and "no vaginal activity" restriction. He said so long as I didn't violate those main rules, I could do what I felt like doing. I live in a 2-story house, with bedrooms and shower upstairs. For the first 5 weeks, I would come downstairs in the morning, then go up in the evening, and that was it. It definitely takes some planning, but can be done. Also, my husband was home with me for the first few days, which really helped. I'm not sure if that's an option for you or not. The first week is definitely the worst; it keeps getting better after that. Good luck to you and take care!
JuneBug
Unread 02-28-2002, 12:18 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses! I'm not a sofa person so I'll probably just go downstairs for meals until I can sit up comfortably. I don't have any urges to do housework after the surgery so I really wish the obgyn hadn't said that I could do housework in front of my husband. I feel like this is my last chance to really pamper myself, and I don't want it messed up with conflict about my not doing enough around the house during my recovery. Hopefully, I will be able to be able to resolve this issue before the surgery. Thanks again everyone!
Unread 02-28-2002, 01:10 PM

Susan, thats the point, you will be able to sit up comfortably,
as far as the housework, there a lot of ways you can stay active without turning yourself into a cleaning service. Of course you should have time to rest and recover however you wish. I had a cleaning woman once a week and Dh asked if I wanted her to come in 3 times a week ( he didn't offer to do anything himself lol)
But I didn't need her, I'd had her every week for years and was glad to have her do the heavy stuff. But other than that I had no trouble keeping things picked up but I sure didn't want to clean closets. I don't know if you have kids but I had no one to take care of but myself. Kids are gone. Best of luck.
Unread 02-28-2002, 01:51 PM

Susan, show your hub some of these posts! I was up and walking around the house every hour or two the first week. That is vital to getting those bowels moving again. That being said, my doc had a harder time "putting things back in place again" when she was in there and immediately put me on a 12 wk. LOA as soon as I woke up from the anesthesia. Cleaning out closets? I wouldn't recommend it. There is a careful balance between knowing what's too much and what isn't. I don't think there's a one of us who hasn't at one time or another "goofed' and done too much. I haven't heard of a sister yet who is thrilled to lie around in bed and eat chocolate all day. It gets old really fast. I agree with those who say you won't feel like doing a whole lot for the first week. You couldn't get me to put "clothes" on for 2 weeks. It was just so yukky to put stuff on my abdomen. Send your dh over, I'm sure the rest of the sisters and I would have a few groups to say to him
Unread 02-28-2002, 02:09 PM

Hi, Tofusu,

With all due respect to the other ladies, I listened to my doctor, whose advice was a bit different than yours.

My doctor told me to spend the first two weeks after my hysterectomy reclining, feet elevated. My doctor also told me I could go up and down stairs once a day, for the first two weeks.

I also listened to my body, which told me to REST.

I also listened to my Hystersisters, who told me to rest, drink water, walk, and rest some more.

I had a normal recovery, and no complications.

The point I'm trying to make is that we all heal differently. While one woman may be ready to run the marathon a few days after surgery, many of us are still busy recovering. Listen to what your body is telling you, and you'll do just fine. Your body will also tell you when you've done too much, loud and clear, and sometimes too late.

Best wishes on your surgery.

Sending healing hugs,
Helen
Unread 02-28-2002, 02:33 PM

Isn't it wierd the way Dr's orders can very so much, I think some one posted their Dr said sex was okay at 3 weeks ( yikes)
My Dr was very concerned about lifting, bending, stretching.And no sex for 6 to 8 weeks.
He wasn't big into the laying in bed and wanted me to active
as tolerated but he was a real stickler about lifting. Funny, some of the girls were walking 3 miles at 3 weeks, I went back part time to work at 5 days post op to a very sedentary job in my own business because I had no choice, but I can remember being
about 3 or 4 weeks post op and my brother in law stopped by our business to go to lunch and I didn't want to walk the 4 blocks to the restaraunt, and didn't, but yet I was shopping ( not loading or unlaoding the cart at 10 days) with hubby. I could load
and unload the dishwasher right away but couldn't push the rolling garbage can to the curb for 2 or 3 months. The heavy
pushing, reaching,lifting, went bothered me beyond most of the girls, but going to work or doing laundry didn't. I guess we are all very different. I also don't rememberbeing tired, but the lifting took me longer than any one on the board. Go figure! If it hurts, don't do it!
Unread 02-28-2002, 03:03 PM

I had a TAH/BSO on Feb. 1. I agree with the above advice - listen to your body. It will tell you whether you are doing too much. I overdid it a bit myself yesterday. I wanted to water some plants on my patio and made several trips back and forth with a watering can (half full but still too heavy I think). I had just had two good days and thought I could handle that and other tasks. Believe me, I paid for it last night with discomfort and pressure.

I wonder why moving around is supposed to promote healing? I am curious as to the answer to that question, if anyone knows the answer.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register