How much activity after TAH - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much activity after TAH How much activity after TAH

Unread 02-28-2002, 03:44 PM
How much activity after TAH

I think some of the activity level might depend on how soon we come home from the hospital. After my TAH/BSO, I was back at home about 40 hrs. after my surgery. I spent most of that day resting in my recliner, getting up to use the bathroom and just walking around the house a little. We also live in a 2 story house with bedrooms and shower on 2nd floor, and believe me, that first night, DH was right behind me going up those stairs!! For the first week or so, I tried to go up and down the stairs once per day, twice at the most. I started walking outside for short distances, increasing a little every day, and was back at 2 miles at 4-5 weeks post op. I really just let my body tell me how much activity I could tolerate. I never broke the "lifting, bending, nothing in vagina" rules until I was cleared at 6 weeks by my Dr.

I healed very well, and always thought it was best to proceed with caution. Although I rested a lot, I can't say I spent much time lying in bed during the day.

Best of luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2002, 05:08 PM

Tafoso, it sounds like dh wants you to do more than you want to during recovery, do what you want to do and are comfortable with, try to tune him out, not dh bashing, he'll deal with it.
We all need to set our own limits, and we are entitled to, I did what I wanted to do, dh gave up on me and said "I can't control you, do what you want and if you get in trouble or need help tell me." I usually needed him to carry laundry baskets, lift, tote,
carry, load and unload grocery carts. I did more than some sisters thought I should, but things they did at 4 weeks, I didn't do until 4 months. Things I did at 5 days they didn't do for 8 weeks.
Our bodys and needs are all different.
Unread 02-28-2002, 05:59 PM

s

Walking IS good for you. But within reason. As soon as I coud get out of the bed my 2nd day at the hospital, I walked the halls several times a day. (He wouldn't let me out of bed until the PCA was removed.) For several days, my legs would get shaky & sometimes buckled without warning. Guess my body was weaker from the anesthesia than I realized and it was its way of letting me know to rest some more.

Bending, lifting & stretching are no-no's at first. I don't know what your dr's idea of cleaning out closets is, but she must have cleaner closets than I do, lol. Maybe your dr just meant rearranging things at arms length from place to place??? Anyway, I can't believe the dr would say that in front of your dh! Maybe you could call the dr and tell her that because of that comment, dh now thinks you will be Wonder Woman when you get home and could she please tell him differently.

You will have a lot of work done and will probably find that especially the first week that you just do not have the energy to do a lot, much less be painfree enough for it.

I'm not the kind of person who can stay in the bedroom and sleep no matter how sick I am. Guess I'm afraid something's gonna happen & I'll miss it. I set up my throne for the first couple of weeks on the loveseat in the den where I could be with my family and any friends that stopped by. My most comfortable place to sit was on the crack of the loveseat because anything firm was very uncomfortable. I didn't just lay around though. I got up and walked whenever I could think of something I was able to do.

I was told I could drive at 2 weeks and really felt good...until I drove just a couple of miles from the house. I was really surprised how much this took out of me. My legs got shaky again & my head started swimming. Luckily, I had my mother with me & she drove us home.

When I started doing laundry, I would put clothes in the washer & dryer (only carrying a little at a time), but would have someone else do the bending to get them out of the dryer. I also would put dishes in the top rack of the dishwasher, but have someone else do the rest. We only have carpet in the bedrooms, so to this day, the kids vaccum their own rooms & dh does ours. I can handle the sweeping very well at this point, but didn't start that until I was 2-3 weeks post...and only a little at a time and did it slowly at first.

Especially the first week, you should only be taking care of you! It was a major chore those first few days just to get a shower and wash my hair.

Anytime I did too much the first couple of months, my body really let me know it. Just ask the sisters I whined to about it in the chat room about all the back pain and vaginal/side pain, twinges & pulling.

Another thought...one theory about what causes adhesions is due to doing too much after surgery. You surely don't want those!!! I had surgery to remove some 5 years ago that I got after having C-sections. They caused more pain than this hyst did.

Please just listen to your OWN body and don't let anyone guilt you into doing more than you feel you are ready to do.

Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2002, 05:21 AM

Wow!! This is a great community!!! Thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses!!! It makes me feel so much better!!

One more question... I will be hanging out in bed some to bond with my kitty who thinks that the bed is the only appropriate place for belly rubs (hers not mine ;o) ... Did anyone rent a hospital tray table for their recovery? If so, how helpful was it?

Thanks again!
Susan

Unread 03-01-2002, 05:49 AM

My doc said not to be going up and down stairs. I did though but I felt it. You don;t need to be doing anything the first couple of weeks but resting. You don;t need the stress. You know your limits and just don;t overdo it. I did and found that my recovery is just going to be longer. take care and let us know how you are.
Unread 03-01-2002, 06:48 AM
I totally agree with PDawn

My doc pretty much said to listen to my body. My body (which has been working out for 3 years at the local gym) had NO PROBLEM with stairs from the first day home. My dh had to slow me down. But everyone is different!

I was 47 when I had my hyst (turned 48 five days later). I don't have a lot of body fat - not model body fat; just a little below average but with an inherited Buddah-belly. Age, weight and the physical shape you're in has A LOT to do with your recovery rate.

I guess heridity does as well. My mom had a TAH/BSO in her late 30s. My sister & I were pretty young, dad worked away during the week. She HAD TO do things, so she did. She's 74 now and in terrific shape. (You should have seen her jitterbug at their 50th anniversary party a few years back - she wore me out!)

But I definitely concur with PDawn that you should ask your doc to talk to you dh and explain things. You have to go at your own pace!

Good luck, sweetie...
Unread 03-01-2002, 07:20 AM

You definitely need that Dr to rephrase what he/she said !! Your DH already thinks you will be coming home normal!! NOT!! You need to get that cleared up Before you go to the castle - or you will have Major problems when you come home and you will not be able to heal properly. I have already forwarned & made my lists for what my children and husband are to do in the house. I asked each one what they would like to cook for dinners so they can switch off cooking and make something they enjoy & know how to make. I am the "Wonder Woman" of my house, so I needed to let everyone know that I will not be able to do for them as normal. They are actually happy to be able to "take care of Mom". Please I can't stress this enough - Get it handled Before you go to the Castle!!

s Loralii
Unread 03-01-2002, 06:15 PM

.great advice so far from other hystersisters - the key is listen toyour doctor- he/she has so much more exerience than each of us individually (not collectively, though) - and then listen to your body -you and your doc and family should be working as a team, and the goal of the game is for you to get back to yourself in however much time it takes - an example of "not getting it" is my boss's comment when I said this 2 months of non-work is going to make me short for the ecucational credits i need to keep my liscence active (actually I will just have to pay for the credits, I am losing out on 4 free ones) and she said, don't be silly, you can go (to an allday seminar) after the first week, (well if I could do that-couldn't i return to work?) - our new secretary was in the room & countering that with how long it took her to do things, and she was reasonable - I kiddingly said "you better stop with the examples, you're still on probation and are going to get yourself fired" - we all laughed,and my boss covered her ears when the secy kept talking - ie about how she didn't drive for 3 weeks, etc -just do what is right for you- I take a lot a of kidding, and deal with my anxiety with alot of humor, and poking fun at myself, but fully intend to heal in my own time, in my own way - b/c I am not going to do this again, or cause myself injury...listen to your doctor and your own body - from the posts I have read your body is your "personal pillow police" and will get you every time you digress from what is best for you -
Unread 03-01-2002, 07:42 PM

well each dr is different and each woman is different I wanted to be up and walking as soon as I could my dr also said this was important so as not to get blood clots. I agree your level of activity before your surgery may have alot to do with your recovery I was very active before and found it easy to return to a nice active level afterwards by my sixth day my dh and I walked in the park. and I was able to do lite house work I did feel drained but not to the point that I needed a cooler by my bed my set back has been the blahs I just feel[ my emotions] down it has been 18 months and my dr thinks I just need time for my hormones to get on track i never thought abouit being pampered I just wanted to be back on track. I do think we need to becareful not to belittle each others recovery or dr as this can cause more confusion for the one seeking answers. if you trust a dr to do surgery than trust in thier advice but I do agree you do not need to clean any closets out but do not lay around start out slow and work your activity up each day you will do great your husband will be there to do for you what you need done.
Unread 03-01-2002, 10:11 PM

I am 9 days post op. My dr. told me this first week home he wanted me to pretty much take it easy "Rome wasn't built in a day" were his words. However, he did say to get up, move around, walk, pretty much the same stuff we've all been hearing. I did notice one day this week when a friend came over to talk about her marital problems, that I was extra tired that night and in more pain trying to sleep than I had been. I think it was due to to being up for several hours...no lying down with feet up, etc. until after she had gone. You really need to listen to your body, I've discovered that. Even if I don't sleep, I try to lie down a couple of times a day and it sure does seem to help. I myself couldn't imagine cleaning out a closet right now. The pain that I do have, and I must say it's much less than what I expected, seems to be more muscular and I do notice when I've done too much.

You'll know what you can and can't do...and each day you'll feel stronger. Just don't over do. All these princesses know of what they speak! I've learned so much.

Best of luck to you.

rincess:

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register