How much activity after TAH - Page 3 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much activity after TAH How much activity after TAH

Unread 03-01-2002, 11:23 PM
How much activity after TAH

Hi Susan,

You have already had some wonderful replies. I hope you don't mind reading one more.

I just wanted to encourage you to discuss your post op activities once again with your doctor and have her be more specific as to her recommendations. I am wondering if she made some remarks to make you feel more at ease about the surgery, but doesn't really mean you should be up and doing housework right away.

I find it hard to believe she really means she wants you up and cleaning out closets and doing other housework right after surgery. This is still classified as major surgery, even though it is performed very often. And, I have heard that placing strain on the internal tissues causes inflammation which leads to the formation of adhesions.

But, the main thing I am concerned about is how your husband views your post op restrictions. You will be very tender emotionally after surgery, and you will be looking for tender loving care, hugs, kind words, and encouragement. It sounds as tho you perceive he will be pushing you beyond what you will feel up to doing. Please discuss how you feel with him before the surgery so you both can be in agreement on how he can best help you.

Walking is usually the only recommended activity for 2 to 4 weeks. Walking is great for many reasons. It promotes circulation which guards against blood clots. It helps with gas pains and promotes bowel movements. Walking also increases stamina and strength. Do not walk outside by yourself, and do not walk on uneven surfaces, or up and down hills. If you are walking outside, be cautious of the distance you go from your home -- you have to cover the same distance to get back home.

I just wanted to encourage you to talk with both your doctor and your husband, and come to an agreement of what is expected of you and what you feel you can handle. The last thing you need is to have additional stress during your recovery.

Stay in touch and be sure to visit the Post Op forum after your surgery.

Blessings and hugs,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register