TVH scheduled May 14th | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH scheduled May 14th TVH scheduled May 14th

Unread 02-28-2002, 08:34 AM
TVH scheduled May 14th

Hi! This is the first time that I have posted. I have read several of the pre-op messages and have to say that I have found more info here than any other place.
I am having a TVH on May 14th and I'm getting nervous--more about post-op than anything. I am 32 yrs. old and have a prolapsed uterus. I have three children of my own and have had two recent miscarriages. My youngest daughter who will be three at the time of my surgery has cerebral palsy. I am having someone come in and help me out with her after the surgery. She cannot walk yet. I guess I'm just afraid that she won't understand why I can't carry her around.
I am also getting nervous about the surgery itself. If anyone out there has had a TVH, I'd appreciate any advice you could give me.
Thank you for such a wonderful site!

God bless,
Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2002, 09:19 AM
TVH scheduled May 14th

Dear Buff,

Welcome to hystersisters So glad you found us!

I had a TAH/BSO 3 months ago and I'm doing really well. But I can't help out much with advice on a TVH. Be sure to check out the pull down menus at the bottom of the homepage. There is one for "ladies in waiting" and one for "punctured princess." Another menu has personal stories of hystersisters. These will help you learn more about your particular surgery, questions to ask your doctor, what to take to the hospital, what to expect after surgery.

I'm glad to hear that you plan to have help with your daughter after your surgery. Most doctors insist that you do no lifting of anything more than 10 or 15 pounds for 6 weeks. But check with your own gyn about this to be sure.

Keep reading and posting and we'll be with you every step of the way!

Beth
Unread 02-28-2002, 12:23 PM
TVH scheduled May 14th

This is my first post, too. I had a TVH/BSO three weeks ago--so far, no complications, but plenty of new experiences for my body since I have never had any kind of invasive surgery before. This sight has been a GODSEND for keeping me calm, both pre-op and post-op. It is true that the waiting is the worst. If seeing the procedure will help you, check out "Helpful Links" at the top of this forum and go to the Pelvic Floor site, but only if you're up for a very graphic picture of what will be done.

You asked specifically about post-op, so I'll focus on what happened to me after surgery. With a TVH there is no tummy incision but there are still plenty of other things healing inside; so first, and for at least 3 weeks (all I've personally been through so far), follow all the instructions you get about lifting and resting.

Other things I went through with a great hospital experience and very supportive DH (Your experience may be different):
1. Severe nausea all the first day--we think from morphine since it stopped as soon as I stopped the morphine.
2. Went home on day 2.
3. Took Percocet in hospital, then Tylenol with codeine at home for four days post op. At no time did I put the pain over "5" on a scale of 10 and that was because I didn't realize my hospital required me to ask for pain medication to get any. Never over a "2" when properly medicated.
5. Not much pain after day four. After that able to manage with an occasional over the counter pain medication for "achey feeling" inside. Helps to sleep with 10" wedge, and later extra pillow. Takes some of the pressure off. Used small pillow for coughs and sneezes or lifted one leg to hold things together a little.
6. Aside from a few short walks around the house, I rested with feet up or slept for the first week. This was all I really felt like doing. I've worked up to a daily walk 1/2 mile round trip to my mail box and back.
7. No bladder problems. GAS and trouble getting to a regular comfortable bowel schedule. Prune juice and mineral oil helped get me through it. When I started "functioning" a little better at 1 1/2 weeks post op, I went on an eating bad things binge-1/2 bag of hot chips was in there somewhere--and shut down my system for 5 days. Experience totally avoidable and not recommended. Stick to a healthy diet and your insides will thank you.
7. No bloody discharge to date.
8. Good 2 week post op DR apt. Lots of stitches still visible. Allowed to drive, but still no lifting over 8 lb. Go places, but tire easily. Can't sit more than a couple hours without paying for it with "achey feeling" inside. Going to take every bit of six weeks recovery time before returning to my desk job.
9. Swelly belly by the end of the day. Still looks better than my "5 months pregnant" pre-op look.
10. Got first HRT patch in hospital. No problems, but my ovaries were almost shut down anyway. Plan to reduce dosage at six weeks and eventually go off HRT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2002, 04:26 PM
Thank you for your information

Thank you ladies for replying to my post. It helps knowing that I'm not the only one getting ready to go through this. Sometimes it feels like you're all alone and scared
Also, I'm reading a lot about Why does everyone have so much of it after surgery? I want to know everything to expect. My dh says that I'm getting myself all worked up about this. I just want to know everything before I go so that I'm not surprised later!

I will keep reading posts!
God bless,
Beth
Unread 02-28-2002, 04:43 PM
Hi!!!

I am also 32, three children, the youngest of which will be 3 on May 12. I am 13 days post op from TVH for prolapse.
I had a pretty good experience so far. The hospital I went to was great! It is very small, so the staff had time to take care of their patients. The pain was very minimal, being the worst when I first woke up in my room. The nurses who brought me in from surgery forgot to give me the button for the demerol pump!! That is the worst thing I think I had. The night of surgery I asked to be unhooked from the pump and began to take oral pain meds. The bad part of that is they forgot to bring me milk or toast to take it with and the first two made me sick before we figured it out.
Recovery had been a bit of a breeze. I just have to make sure not to lift my daughter, keep the dogs off of me, and rest when I get tired or start to feel pain. I am taking reg. aspirin for pain when needed. I haven't done any major activities yet, just cooked a couple of meals and put some laundry in the washer. With the basket of dirty clothes put on the dryer by my DS, of course!!
My gave me the go ahead to drive when I felt up to it. He told me that before I left the castle. It was about four days post op when I made my first trip to the post office. I live in a very small town, where nothing is more than half a mile away!! I am making my first trip to town(about 22 miles away) tomorrow. I will probably be hating myself, but I'm tired of staying home!!!
I was only in the hospital for one night. I had surgery at 10:00am on Friday and was home by 3:00 pm Sat. . It was much more comfy to be home.
As far as taking care of things once I got home, I had my brother in law here for two weeks to help with my two year old DD. My husband is on Graveyard shift, so after his sleep in the morning, he was able to take care of meals and the kids til they went to bed.
Now that I'm done rambling, I hope some of this helps! Good luck and keep asking ?'s until you feel comfortable!
Kelkie(Kelly)
Unread 02-28-2002, 05:09 PM
TVH scheduled May 14th

I dont see "helpful links" at the top of my page that "Butterfly 1" mentioned - where you can go to a place called pelvic floor on this site...where is the helpful links???
Thanks
Unread 02-28-2002, 06:20 PM
TVH scheduled May 14th

Hi Mary,

The Helpful Links is a message towards the top of the page of messages by Vicki posted in November. Click on it and Pelvic Floor is the 2nd link to go to.

I really think this is such a wonderful site with the BEST Princesses around. It is so comforting to know I can post any time and someone will help. This is only my second one but I am sure I will be writing more as time comes closer for me.

Thanks and God Bless.
Unread 02-28-2002, 07:35 PM
TVH scheduled May 14th

Thanks for your help Sharon...I agree - this is the best site on hysterec. that I have found and the Hystersisters book is great too!

Mary
Unread 02-28-2002, 08:32 PM
TVH scheduled May 14th

You can find the pelvic floor website contained in this link:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/ann...p?s=&forumid=4

Sending cyberhugs
Unread 03-01-2002, 07:16 AM
TVH scheduled May 14th

Thank you again ladies for the information. Kelkie--I am glad to hear that your recovery has been good. It makes me feel more comfortable knowing that. I don't know if anymore things are going to be done during surgery. The doc said that if other things have fallen (bladder,etc.) he will tack it up while he's in there. I'm hoping that once he removes the uterus that the pain will be gone--after recovery of course. Not to be too personal, but sex has been very painful for the last couple of years. I'm looking forward to pain free sex. I don't know though, maybe my husband will be bugging me even more! He feels so deprived now!

Thank you and God bless,
Beth

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register