Surgery | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-28-2002, 09:35 AM
Surgery

Hello Everyone,

I am scheduled for a hysterectomy on March 14th. I have Endometriosis. I had surgery 10 years ago for the same thing. My Dr. says because I am 38 we will do a hyst and never have to worry about it again. I don't mind having my uterus removed since I will never again have a menstrul!! But he says that if my ovaries aren't removed I will continue to have pain and growths from endo. My main concern is what happens when ovaries are removed. I have heard that without medication every day women are very moody, depressed, no sex drive, etc. I have been told I will be numb in Vagina area..as far as excitement goes..I won't enjoy anything. Because of this I am debating having the surgery because I am trading 1 problem for another. I am an active 38 yr old with 2 teenagers and a husband and can't be sick all the time. Please any info about this would be Great!

Loralii
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2002, 09:54 AM
Surgery

Hi Loralii,
I am waiting for my doc to call me with my date, so I am also in waiting, and because of endometriosis just like you. My doc told me she will put me on hrt because I am to young (35) to lose the hormones and go straight in to menopause. I am not worried about taking the hormones, many other sisters on this website do the same thing. I am more worried about continuing pelvic pain because doc told me there is 20 % chance that hyst will not help me. She said endometriosis is a puzzling condition. If lupron and laparascopy did not help, and now I am on depo and stil in pain, chances are pain might just come back. But I still think 80% chance of success is high so I made my decision to go for it. Did your doctor mention anything like that to you?
I will pray for both of us! Hopefully we will never have to deal with this again.
Unread 02-28-2002, 09:56 AM
Surgery

Loralii,

Like you, I had my hyst primarily because of severe endo. In fact, my surgery was exactly 13 weeks ago today!

I had a TAH/BSO, at the recommendation of my gyn and the gyn oncologist who assisted with my surgery. My GP also recommended ovary removal. However, this is a very controversial topic and ultimately it is your body and your decision to make. I did a lot of reading and research and ultimately chose to have my ovaries removed because I'm 46 (closer to natural menopause than you) and I really wanted to do everything possible to prevent endo regrowth. There are no guarantees that this will work, but the odds were good enough for me.

I took no estrogen for 12 weeks, again at the advice of both my surgeons. I am taking megace, a progestin, to help suppress any endo remnants from growing. I'm also taking a soy supplement to alleviate menopausal symptoms, a multivitamin, TUMS for calcium, and I started taking Celexa (an anti-depressant that is also used for ladies with PMS) at 6 weeks post op. One week ago I started low dose estrogen (0.3 mg) and this will be increased at 6 months post op.

What have I experienced with no estrogen (and now low estrogen)? Night sweats were my biggest issue the first 4 or 5 weeks. Then they tapered off. I also had some trouble sleeping through the night so I take 1 Tylenol PM at night and that does the trick for me. My gyn said it's fine to take it. I've had a few hot flashes, but not many. As soon as I got back to work at just over six weeks post op, my mood improved tremendously. I had started the Celexa at the same time, so I really can't tell how much it has helped versus just being back in my normal routine.

My point in all this ... some women, like me, do really well without ovaries or even without estrogen. I think taking some of these other things helps offset the loss of my ovaries. I also think I'm just one of those very lucky people and of course, you can't predict that in advance. Keep reading and posting, ask lots of questions and you'll make the best decision for you I'm sure!

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2002, 11:02 AM
Surgery

When I asked my doctor about the emotional & sexual issues of removing my ovaries, he said I would take 1 pill a day -but didn't give me name of it. He insists I will be fine. I have been going to him for 14 yrs so I don't think he would lie to me. I will be seeing him again before the surgery - But I wanted more info and other women's opinions.
To Beth : No, my Dr said nothing of having pain afterward. He said that surgery will get rid of all the pain & discomfort. He did tell me tho that if I don't remove my ovaries that endo will most likely come back, as it already has.

Also, Anyone that works - Please let me know when you were able to go back to work.

Unread 02-28-2002, 12:37 PM
Surgery

Loralii -- don't mean to get personal -- but did your doc tell you your vagina would be numb? Or did someone else? I haven't heard of that before. Is that because of your particular endo problems?

I've heard lots of hyster sisters talk about very happy sex after surgery. I hope that will be true for you too.

Melissa
Unread 02-28-2002, 04:19 PM
I'm Not Sure...

I'm not sure where you heard about the vaginal numbness, but I read about it on a website before I found this one. The case involving it was after the lady had a hyst performed be an incompetant doc. Some how he managed to cut some stuff he wasn't supposed to. That is the only time I have ever heard of it.
As far as I know, that is not a side effect of lack of hormones. Just keep reading and asking questions. Also you might want to check out the Hormone Jungle. I'm sure there is someone there who could help with this question also. Good luck and my thoughts are with you!
Kelkie(Kelly)
Unread 02-28-2002, 05:41 PM
Surgery

Hi, I also have endometriosis. Darn disease! My Hyst/BSO is tenatively set for March 25th.

My doctor told me to keep the ovaries with a woman who has endometriosis would not be wise. Not just because of the endo growing back but because of research now that shows that women who have endometriosis are at higher risk for developing ovarian cancer then women who don't have endo. You could ask your doctor how to find out about research studies that have been done concerning endometriosis in relation to ovarian cancer. The web site, endozone, may be of some help too. My doctor knows about this research and I was glad to be informed of this finding.

For me I decided whether to allow my ovaries to go by the information that I was given from doctors and medical research; then I had to weigh the risks vs. the benefits of keeping my ovaries. I am 45 years old, so it made it a little easier to let the ovaries go then if I were younger.

I am still not happy that I have to lose my ovaries, or lose anything to surgery. It is scary as it is the unknown. I want my natural hormones produced by my own body! But I also want to stop being in severe pain, so I have to say goodbye to the ovaries.

I find such inspiration from the hystersisters who are princesses now and who share their experiences of life post-op, and without ovaries. So many of them tell us that life can be great even though they do not have ovaries anymore

I hope that you will let your doctor know about your concerns and fears, and hopefully he will help you to feel better with whatever you decide. Best wishes and prayers
Unread 02-28-2002, 06:02 PM
Surgery

I know of someone who had a hysterectomy by the same GYN I see and she said our insurance (we have the same one) pays for only one HRT med. One year after her hyst she says she loves the HRT, she has no mood swings, no weight gain(in fact she lost 11 pounds without trying), she feels like she is 16 again and everything is fantastic in bed. After talking to her yesterday I am more than ready for the HRT. My hormones are a mess now so any adjustment can't hurt!

JoAnn
Unread 03-01-2002, 06:16 AM
Thank You!!

Many thanx to everyone who has responded. s

I have been asking everyone I know about a TAH. I heard the numbing from men - haha - I'm starting to believe that they feel if a woman has her internal parts removed they are numb. But I have heard from women over the years that they get very moody after a TAH. I agree with Jerianne -I am scared to death!! I am thrilled I will no longer have a monthly {haha} but scares me that I will be one of the percentage who will have the bad side effects of a TAH. I am married and do not wish to be divorced - LOL - I also manage an office. A moody person doesn't manage people well. I have read alot on Endo & have decided to let the Dr take my ovaries - I don't want this to return again & I did find on WebMd that it leads to ovarian cancer.
Any comments on when anyone was able to return to work?? I am a very active person & have a hard time laying around. I would like some insight on what to expect. I know when I had Lap 10 years ago I was in bad shape for atleast 3 wks!!
Thanx again to all - Keep info coming Please!!!
MANY s
Unread 03-01-2002, 09:27 AM
Surgery

It's hard not knowing what the future holds, isn't it? Especially when you see a big honking change coming.

I'm hoping to wake up post-crowning with ovaries intact, but I'm leaving it to the doc's discretion; she can take 'em if she feels it's medically necessary. Even so, I worry about mood swings, ovaries going to "sleep" (my hormone levels have always been low and get messed up from stress), having menopausal symptoms, post-hyst sex, etc.

The truth is that the only thing I know is that, in this moment, I'm OK. A little crampy, but OK. I can't control or predict the future. I've made the best decision that I can. Now I'm trying to just roll along, staying in the present moment as much as I can, until the surgery is behind me and I can see how things look.

Best of luck.

Melissa

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register