Surgery - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-01-2002, 12:44 PM
Surgery

I had a TAH BSO two weeks ago and am not taking HRT because of it. I had to have both ovaries removed. I have an enlarged uterus and both ovaries had endometriomas which were larger than my uterus. My surgery was seven hours long...main reasoning because I had a frozen pelvis and endo beyond staging! Anyway, these hot flashes are killing me. They seemed to have decreased a little bit and I am just hoping it will continue to decrease. The thing is that some women have no symptoms and some get hit with them hard...I guess I am on the latter side. I am in the process of doing my own research to find out what temporary supplements I can take. I do wish I had done this pre-op. I guess you and your surgeon would have to decide on the severity of the staging of your endo and the relief of your symptoms. Best of luck!
P.S. Ladies, please mention if you have come across something that can be used. I saw soy mentioned but I was told not to use it becasue it is a natural estrogen producer. So many different perceptions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2002, 01:21 PM
Surgery

Hi Loralii - Read your post and not sure who gave you some of this information. Many women react differently to having their overy's removed.
It would be a good idea to consider some type of HRT either natural or synthetic. HRT's help you with mood swings, hot flashes, night sweats, vag. dryness, etc. Without them you may experience some changes. I do however, have friends who take nothing, and have no problems at this time. It's an individual decision. Talk to you doctor. Listen to what he has to say, listen to your friends, do research, then use your common sense and make the choice that feels right for you.
You can always go on HRT right away, or later on. You can always stop taking HRT's if you don't like them, or change the type you use - there are lots of choices. Don't get hung up on the horror stores.
Join in the chat room, there is lots of help and support amoung these women!! Best of luck to you on the 14th. Lissesred66
Unread 03-02-2002, 04:16 PM
Surgery

Rosas: I took no estrogen for 12 weeks post op, but I was taking megace (a progestin) and Soycare to alleviate menopausal symptoms. The night sweats were pretty bad for the first 3 or 4 weeks post op, then they tapered off. Ask your doc for specific recommendations on what you might take to help with your symptoms since you aren't on ERT.

Loralii: I went back to work full time at just about 7 weeks post op. I have a desk job in an office, but it's pretty demanding. The first day I was totally exhausted, but things got a little better each day. At 13 weeks post op now, I'm doing really well and feel so good.

As for sex post hyst ... I was worried too about what that would be like with no cervix or uterus. After feeling pretty nervous and concerned about pain the first couple of times (about 7 weeks post op), we finally relaxed and everything is working fine now. I think all of us worry about this a lot, but most of the posts I read show that ladies eventually get things working just fine! DH and I are just so elated that I'm not having pain with sex anymore ... Life is good, ladies!

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2002, 05:19 PM
Surgery

you well be allowed to return to work around 6-8 weeks take your time and heal. some return part time at 5 weeks I returned part time at 4 weeks than full at 6

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register