Questions about pain??? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about pain??? Questions about pain???

Unread 02-28-2002, 10:41 AM
Questions about pain???

After reading a thread about cramps I was wondering.....
How many of you only have pain just before and during your period? Years ago I use to have my pain just before my period... now I am lucky if I get 7 days total a month without any pain.
I have adeno and fibroids and probably endo but dr. didn't scope because of pervious abdominal surgeries ( had MRI and vaginal ultrasounds).. 3 sections and one very large gallbladder scar.. my surgery is april 23 and all I do is take pain pills... tylenol with codiene even though it barely makes a dent but I was given percocet but haven't taken it yet.
So what is everyone's pain like????
kara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2002, 11:10 AM
Questions about pain???

I am on Vicadon for my pain..Enough said..

I hope everything goes well for you.

Loralii
Unread 02-28-2002, 11:19 AM
Questions about pain???

I have pain almost everyday. Especially lower back pain. The weirdest though, is this feeling like something is kicking me from inside. I was sitting at my friends house the other day and jumped a little when the pain hit. She asked me if I was okay and I said yes but I'd swear this fibroid just kicked me. Since I never been pregnant I'm not sure that's how to explain it but that's what it feels like to me. Have you have anything like that? I told my friend that maybe I should give the thing a name since it seems to be alive!!!!

Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2002, 11:31 AM
Questions about pain???

Kara,

I also was lucky if I had 7 days a month pain free. Pain became my life, and so did Advil, Tylenol, and Vicodin. After living with the pain for 7 years, I finally decided to end it. 2-6-02 I had a TAH / BSO for severe endometriosis, fibriods, ovarian cysts, and an enlarged uterus. I was also full of adhesions. I mananged my endo for years through Lupron injections, and laparoscopies. I had pain both before and during my periods. The week after I stopped bleeding (although I spotted for 3 weeks at a time), was the only week during the month that I felt as close to "normal" as I could. The worst time of the month for me was mid-month, I would develop these huge cysts that ruptured month after month. I wish you luck and a pain free life from your surgery.

Unread 02-28-2002, 12:07 PM
Pain

I too had pain. Not so much during my period..but all of the time Not the cramps, but I'd have lower back problems and my hip was sore all of the time on the right side. I'd go crazy. I lived on vicodin I am thinking Altho it wasn't that much. I had my surgery and have taken less pain pills since then than I did before. I ended up having tons of adhesions all over my right side. She couldn't even see my ovary on that side but was able to feel it. I had adhesions adhering my bowels. She said it was a mess..And she was able to remove 99% of it vaginally..So there is hope..And it is so nice even now 9 days post op to feel so little pain..hang in there..
Unread 02-28-2002, 03:28 PM
Pain

I was very fortunate not to experience period pain until my 40's--as long as I remembered to take my cal/mag supplements faithfully. Around '94 I noticed nagging left-sided pain like a pulled ligament up by my hip mid-cycle every month. In time that was joined by pinching left-sided pains near my ovary that come and go throughout the month, also low backaches pre-period.
My GYN diagnosed fibroids and also suspected endo, but my aches & pains were not bad enough for me to want him to go exploring--before now.
In the past couple years (peri-menopause) I developed cyclic breast pains (lasting through my period plus a few days more) and increasingly painful period cramps that increased toward the end of my cycle with pelvic congestion. I usually get a 16 hour menstrual migraine (& nausea) as my cycle begins--those have increased in the past couple years too.

I feel like a weenie compared to what so many other women at this site have endured. Also curious to know about others' pain experience, wondering if it was unusual for pains to linger after a period.

If there are any good migraine remedies out there, please share!
Grating ginger root in hot water helps my nausea some.
Emperin w/codeine takes the edge off pain--if I can keep it down!

Thanks.
Unread 02-28-2002, 04:31 PM
Questions about pain???

Hi Kara

I too had alot of pain most days before my surgery. I was on pain meds for 3 months before my surgery. I had adhesions, endo, adeno, and dysplasia. It's a good thing your doctor gave you something stronger to take until surgery. Take the percocet when the other doesnt help. Take it easy and think about your wonderful new pain free life post op! Hang in there and keep us posted on how you are doing!
Unread 02-28-2002, 04:46 PM
I'm new here and have pain as well

Hello to all... I am scheduled for April 5th or 18th for Complete Removal...Everybody Out! )

I have a lot of pain and like the original poster, have had Laproscopic a couple of times and so, we are unsure as to whether or not it is endo coupled with the ovarian cyst or growth because like her, my doc didn't want to do another invasive proceedure and is going with past history.

I have a lot of pain and terrible headaches as well. Has anyone else experienced overwhelming exhaustion? Seems all I want to do is take my medicine (Tylenol Codine which doesn't seem to touch the pain) and sleep the day away. Also I am dealing with horrible night sweats. Is this normal? I mean, I am so out of whack now I don't know really what normal is like. But, have any of you had that nice little surprise? My hubby has taken to another bed in lieu of getting sufficated by my heat.....What a guy! Very understanding of everything and very supportive if not well informed about such things...

Any help would be appreciated! I'm so happy to have found this site! I hope to help support others as well.

DiKhoury
Unread 02-28-2002, 05:28 PM
Pain

Reading these posts are so funny cuz I am like HEY i went thru that I too had the horrendus headaches before my period..my breasts started to be sore for three weeks out of the month pain down leg and in hip and lower back and the nite sweats and tired all of the time Now..I just thought I was crazy..lol..all my dr found was tons of adhesions when I had my surgery..Now am hoping when I am all healed from this that these symptoms will be gone Oh plus I had constant rumblings in lower tummy during and before my period which towards the ended lasted all month long..Funny there are others going thru the same thing when I thought I was nuts in the head..
Unread 02-28-2002, 05:29 PM
Questions about pain???

Kara, I get mild cramps (1-2 on a scale of 1-10) starting 2-5 days before my period, then worse ones (3-5) during the heaviest flow -- 1/2 day to 3 days. Until I tried Vicodin just last week, nothing consistently touched the pain, and *nothing* completely alleviated it.

I tried ibuprofen, napoxen sodium, Tylenol, Ponstel, aspirin, proper supplements (magnesium/calcium/B complex, C, E, etc.), homeopathics (magnesia phosphorica, which helps somewhat sometimes), exercise, sit-ups, yoga, acupuncture, Chinese herbs, avoiding salt, sugar, alcohol, and caffeine, and drinking tons of water -- you name it. Vicodin takes a big bite out of the cramps, but doesn't completely ease the really bad ones (which I'm having right now). It helps a *lot*, though, more than anything else ever has.

For me, level 1 cramps are enough for me to cancel social engagements; level 2 are enough to keep me home from work. As a teen, I got level 7-8 cramps for a week, and level 3-5 cramps the week before and week after my period, so I had only 1 good week a month too. The alternative health stuff I tried gradually reduced the cramps in level and duration over the years, but not to where I'm functional.

Suebert, I feel like a weenie too!! I don't have the level of symptoms of others, nor the duration. I'm hosed about 2 days a month, with another 3-6 days of discomfort that keeps me home. I'm self-employed right now, but I know if I were working, I'd be missing 1-2 days a month due to pain.

Which is better than when I was in my 20's, but it still is unacceptable. Hence the impending crowning.

I'm starting to get so excited!! I feel like I'm going to Disneyland. Yeah, I'm nervous about the surgery, but with all this impending freedom, I feel like a kid in a candy shop!

Melissa

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register