lap-cats post-hyst? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

lap-cats post-hyst? lap-cats post-hyst?

Unread 02-28-2002, 01:11 PM
lap-cats post-hyst?

I have two lovely cats, one of whom is big and lazy and loves to sleep in my lap. (Sometimes they both do together, if I'm reclining.)

I'm being crowned on March 13, and I'm nervous about letting my cat sleep in my lap -- she is heavy (12 pounds) and I'm scared she will hurt my newly swollen tummy! But I'd hate to lock her up, which is the only way I can be sure to keep her out of my lap.

Anyone else out there with lap-cats have advice? Did you have trouble after your surgeries?

Thanks,

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2002, 01:55 PM
Think pillow

If you put a pillow over your tummy, you may be able to allow the kitty on your lap from time to time. The pillow should protect you from bumping and keep her from oozing up onto your tummy.

Just don't sit down without it!
Unread 02-28-2002, 01:59 PM
lap-cats post-hyst?

Hi Melissa, yes, I have 2 Maine Coons, one is 13 lbs and one is about 17 lbs. The "smaller" one sleeps with me and the bigger one likes to sit in my lap when I'm in the recliner watching TV. I would advise making sure that if they have claws, you clip them before you have your surgery. Then, the first day or two I sort of shifted myself in the chair so that he would be mostly on the chair and only his front paws were on me, and once he got used to the idea it was fine. After that I was able to let him curl up on me with no problem. My tummy is still quite swollen, especially at night (I'm at 3 1/2 weeks) but it doesn't hurt when the cats sit on it. Besides, snuggling with a loved pet is very good for your morale while you're recovering! Good luck with the surgery and
s to you and your s!!

- Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2002, 02:12 PM
Lap Cats

I have 2 lap-cats also. Thanks for asking this question. I was wondering the same thing. After my laparoscopy, my littlest kitty was so protective of me and he just didn't understand why he couldn't sit on my lap. I was only mildly sore for a few days but it was really hard to keep him from jumping up on my lap unexpectedly. I think the pillow is a good idea. I'm planning to keep their favorite blanket beside me on my bed and next to my most comfy chair for them to lie on and keep some treats handy to entice them onto their bed and off of me...at least until the incision starts to feel better. Hope this helps.
Good luck to you.
Lorla

Unread 02-28-2002, 02:58 PM
lap-cats post-hyst?

I have 4 cats and one that follows me all the time and he is 5 years od and just likes to sleep at my feet and of course I have to keep moving my feet because he is just to warm, but he is a little baby and I have my hister by horizontal usless the GYN changes his mind at the last minute and I am like yu I have no idea what to do with him except to push him over with my feet when I go to bed. I have my hister the 12th of March at 11am and sm very nervous already. I am 48 years old.
Unread 02-28-2002, 03:21 PM
lap-cats post-hyst?

Linda, I have a Huge Cream Persian and a dainty cream tipped hymalain. I have lusted after having a Maine Coon, they are so incredable, I heard they were quite " chatty" is this true?, the are sooooo gorgeous, I've seen them at cat shows. Anyway, back on topic, I put a pillow on my lap also, to ward off the Lardo Cream Persian, the other dainty little guy is like a feather.
Unread 02-28-2002, 06:17 PM
lap-cats post-hyst?

Yet another use for the handy dandy Hyster Sisters Tummy Pillow/Tote Bag!!!! (see the Hyster Sisters Store for yours...)

Seriously. I have 5 cats, one dog, one small child and a restless husband. The tummy pillow was my survival tool for many weeks. Good for repelling affectionate kitties, happy dogs, flailing appendages, and flying Barbies.

Get yours now!

Karen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register