should I get a raised potty seat or not...that is the ? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

should I get a raised potty seat or not...that is the ? should I get a raised potty seat or not...that is the ?

Unread 02-28-2002, 03:58 PM
should I get a raised potty seat or not...that is the ?

I am dead - bad use of words there- serious - the women I work with are no help they are all RN's who say "chill", suck it up, or "you'll be fine and back to work in 4 weeks". so I can't get an educated opinion from them about getting a raised toilet seat - I will be alone after the first two days home - have a neighbor who will check in daily - but my bathroom is pint size, with nothing to lean on, or hold for support - the sink is not glued to the wall that well, and anyway is too far away - and just for laughs, is this something that bluecross will rent for you? I tried to call someone I know in the homecare dept at the hosp. but of course this was the one day she has probably ever taken off in 10 years, and she wasn't available. I will have to wait until Monday to call her, and will be in Fitchburg then, and surgery is that Wednesday -- yes, still not counting but I do know it is a week away...any ideas,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2002, 04:03 PM

Lynda, I did not need a raised toilet seat, I used the tank to hold on to with my right hand, and my window sill to hold on to with the left hand. It wasn't really how far down it was, it was how fast I went down that far. Can you get a small sturdy chair in that area. You mostly just need to be able to hang on and control the speed of your descent. (That seems like a funny choice of words here, but I can't seem to come up with another one.) My legs did fairly well, but I was sort of shakey at first. Hope this helps some.
Unread 02-28-2002, 04:07 PM

the bathroom is so small that my knees have about 6" to clear one wall, and the toilet is about 4" from the other cornered wall - I don't even keep my toilet paper on a roll the place is so small, just sit it on a small stool, conveniently at the right height, in a pretty (amall) wicker basket - we're talking really small - i am worried about getting up - didn't give a thought to getting down - but it is torture when my back goes out...thanks for the thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2002, 05:33 PM

You'll be fine! These things work themselves out, I have Blue Cross, to my knowledge they will not pay for something like this!
Give it a chance, you are stronger than you think. you'll do good!
Unread 02-28-2002, 08:57 PM

Hi Lynda,

Just another perspective --- adding my opinion here. I have very strong legs. I do all our yard work -- mowing, trimming bushes AND trees, dig holes with a shovel, etc., etc. So, I have extremely strong legs, have a lot of stamina, am a very healthy, robust lady. But --------- here it comes!

When I got home from the hospital, I was never by myself and I still had to be very cautious about when I sat down, so I could be sure I was able to get back up. There were many places I sat that my dd or dh had to give me their hands so I could pull myself up. By the way, don't allow someone to pull you up. You do the pulling, they just give you their hands for support.

The first few days at home I couldn't believe how low the toilet seemed, and I sure wished I had a higher seat. I had to be "rescued" more than once by my family helping me back up.

Even if Blue Cross doesn't pay for the chair, if you are going to be by yourself, I think you will find it is very helpful for the first week.

Blessings and s
Unread 03-01-2002, 06:47 AM

Lynda,

I had a lot of pain in the groin that only bothered me when I tried to get up from the toilet. The Dr said they did a lot of stitching in that area. My toilet is very low (something I never even noticed before the surgery) and the pressure of trying to get off the toilet caused severe pain to the point where I couldn't get up myself and my DH had to haul me up. I was afraid to go to the bathroom when he left the house. I then got a raised toilet seat, and had no problem after that. The kind I got, the most basic cost $20 and was a lifesaver.

KarlyN
Unread 03-01-2002, 03:46 PM

I got a raised toilet seat and I loved it. I found it to be much easier for me and they are not very expensive either. Best wishes
Unread 03-01-2002, 04:29 PM
Ask dr for a rx

Hi Lynda, I asked my insurance carrier if they would cover the cost of a hospital "over the bed" table and they would so long as the dr wrote out an rx for it. You could ask your dr to do so, you really have nothing to loose by asking him/her for one. I greatly appreciated the hospital table even though I never asked the dr for an rx. It only cost me $14.00 for the whole month and was a very big lifesaver for me. It let me work on my crafts, or read while resting in bed and allowed me to have my feet up. I did not have any problem getting up or down from the toilet but $20.00 sounds like a good investment with your back trouble.

As for your friends at work, don't listen to them. Each persons recovery time is different. You may very well need more than 4 weeks to be back at work. I took my whole 8 weeks that the dr suggested and I'm very glad I did. It's back to work for me Monday but I enjoyed my time at home healing. You only have one chance to do it right so listen to your body and not your co-workers. Best of luck you!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register