Frustrated with doctor | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Frustrated with doctor Frustrated with doctor

Unread 03-01-2002, 02:10 AM
Frustrated with doctor

Hello Ladies,

I am scheduled for a TVH on March 11 or so that is what I am told. I am totally unhappy with my doctor's office and my physician. We decided to do the hysterectomy by phone. We discussed the possibility of a TVH several times in prior appointments. But he does these so routinely, each time I go to see him, he forgets my sitatuion, what surgeries he's done in the past and what we are doing going forward until after he reads his notes in my file.

I have been calling his office for more than a week, asking if they will send a packet with information so I will know what to expect, and I can have time to read it over before the surgery to call with my questions. The office stated it was on the doctors desk waiting for his notes and as soon as he reviewed the file and added his notes, they will send it. I stopped into the office two days ago and it was still not ready. I received it in the mail yesterday with no doctor notes. and no info about the surgery. The wrong surgery (TAH) :shocked:is stamped on a consent form and a post-it note attached asking me to sign and return the form.. a map to the hospital..a prescription and instructions for how to clear my bowl the day before and an envelope to return the consent form. Thats it!

It was mailed postage due!

Shouldn't I expect more information from him about the hyst itself...and a clearer definition of his plans...especially after the consent form was delayed for his review and notes AND we did not go over the procedure in any detail at an appointment prior?.

I will call his office after it opens today. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2002, 03:47 AM
Frustrated with doctor

Dear Linda,

I don't blame you for being upset with your doctor, especially with the wrong consent form being sent. The postage due would have been the last straw for me, too!!

The fact that his staff is unorganized isn't as serious (although irritating) as the fact that he may have changed his mind about what type of hyst he is performing without discussing it with you.

The office staff may have meant that he had to make doctor notes in your file and that after he did that, they could send out your packet. I would insist on an appointment with him, and would go in with my concerns about him and his office staff written down. Hand the list to him and ask him to read over it first before you ask any questions. (That way you'll stay calm and also not forget something.)

My doctor didn't give me much information at all, but then, I didn't really ask. If I can, I'll be glad to answer any specific questions you have about a TVH, and please post back about what happens when you call his office.

's

Karen
Unread 03-01-2002, 04:03 AM
Frustrated with doctor

Thanks Karen,

I intend to call him this morning and make an appointment.

How long was your recovery after your TVH. I also have requested to keep my ovaries.

I was pretty calm about the surgery until I got the packet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2002, 04:07 AM
Frustrated with doctor

I agree with Karen. Call the office and insist on a pre-op appointment. You have a right to this. If they can not accomodate you I would tell them I may have to find another doctor. Yikes- what if this guy is so unorganized he does the wrong surgery? You are the patient, you are PAYING him for his service and you have the RIGHT to insist on this. Don't let them blow you off. I would be concerned because with this attitude if you have a post op problem how are they going to handle you? Call them back TODAY and insist on being seen. s and come by the chat room and vent.
Unread 03-01-2002, 04:15 AM
Frustrated with doctor

I agree that a pre op conversation with your doc is in order! The key will be to be organized about the meeting, notes, questions etc. If you present with the demeanor that you want to be an informed patient, he should respond. It sounds like his office staff is truly unorganized, keep in mind that in most cases these are not professional people and probably are not experienced in the medical field. Your appt will give you an opportunity to give him an FYI about his staff without being offensive. Most docs will welcome info, as he needs to keep his patients happy and the staff are his representatives. I hope you feel more confident after your appt.

Unread 03-01-2002, 05:00 AM
Frustrated with doctor

Hi Linda,

I just wanted to say that I agree that you need to see your Dr. in person. A consent form sent through the mail with the wrong procedure listed really concerns me

The whole purpose of signing a consent form is to prove that the Dr. has discussed the procedure with you and that by signing, you agree that this has happened and that you understand. This includes any and all possible complications. Although surgical complications with this surgery are rare, they do happen and your Dr. is supposed to, even obligated to discuss them with you ahead of time.

My ONC GYN always has me sign consent forms in his office prior to any procedures, but only after he has actually discussed the procedure with me. His signature follows as proof that he witnessed me signing the form.

At the castle, a consent form for anesthesia also has to be signed. At my hospital, I am given the form to read but told NOT to sign until the anesthesiologist comes in to see me and I have to sign in the anesthesiologists presence, again so there is a witness.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Pre-op time is stressful enough! Let us know how you make out, ok?

Best wishes and s
Unread 03-01-2002, 05:14 AM
Frustrated with doctor

Maybe they wanted the consent form for the TAH in case
they got you in surgury and decided it needed to be done
that way. I never heard of not having a pre op, udually they do blood work, ekg. chest x ray. Thats were I had a nurse explain
the surgury to me ect. It was not at the Dr's office but at the ***[ital a couple daysbefore the surgury.
Unread 03-01-2002, 06:54 AM
Frustrated with doctor

Have you thought about getting another doctor who doesn't act like this is some kind of assembly line? (If that is an option I'd take it)

In any case, I would insist on the things that you need. Pre op appointments are STANDARD.

It worries me that there is such disorganization going on in the office. I''m with Tina on the "what if there are complications" issue, too. Then it does matter what the office staff does.

I had a talk with my dr. about the nurse who took her calls. The nurse had been very rude with me more than once and was contradicting what the dr. had said at our visits and I thought the dr. should know. They gave my calls to another nurse for a while--All i had to do is say my name- everyone answering calls(about 5 people) had been informed by the dr and knew I didn't want to talk to that nurse. Eventually, she was allowed to take my calls again, and she was completely different. She couldn't be nicer!

And with this confusion coming from the dr. I would have a hard time feeling confident as the other sisters have said, if I thought he might get confused in surgery.

My doctor knows me and she knows what is going on with me. She got embarrassed because she had to check my chart to tell me what stage the prolapse had been.

Well, I sure hope you come to a solution that meets your needs and that you can be confident and comfortable with.
Unread 03-01-2002, 01:08 PM
Frustrated with doctor

I had a similar experience. I noticed that I was becoming frustrated and my physical condition worstened because of the stress I was experience as a result of the doctor. I sat down and wrote a list out about what was bothering me. I also wrote out the positives. The negatives outweighed the positives and I quickly chose another surgeon. I kept thinking that my experience was indicative of what I would have experienced post-operatively. Travelindy, I felt SO relieved after I had terminated my relationship with the office! Best of luck to you. Do what ever will give you peace of mind! Otherwise,
Unread 03-01-2002, 07:49 PM
Frustrated with doctor

Hi Linda,

I'm curious to know what happened when you called the doctor today? I hope you were able to get an appointment for early next week so you can go over your concerns with him.

You asked how long my recovery was. Well, I also had repairs done for a rectocele and a cystocele and so it took a little bit longer than it would have without the repairs. I went back to work full time at 5 1/2 weeks, and brought my donut pillow with me for the first week or so.

Personally, the discomfort from the episiotomy that was done as part of the repairs was harder to recover from that the actual hyst. I remember that I was just beginning to feel pretty good when I was released to go back to work.

If it's possible, I would suggest going back only part time for the first few days - I didn't and I wished that I had. You'll find that it takes all of your energy to just make it through the day at work, and that you'll not have much energy left for anything but hitting the couch when you walk in the door. Little by little each day you'll begin to have more energy, but if you don't have to use it all up working full-time hours right away, that would be easier.

's

Karen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register