my turn is 3/4 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

my turn is 3/4 my turn is 3/4

Unread 03-01-2002, 10:21 AM
my turn is 3/4

Well . . . I am new to this site and my surgery is scheduled for 3/4. I am nervous and a little timid. TVH,(I think that's the term for Vaginal Hist) is what I am having. I am 41, in good health otherwise, but with a large fibroid that is causing me bleeding problems and pain. I am looking forward to those problems being gone! Any advise would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2002, 10:56 AM
my turn is 3/4

no advice - haven't gone in yet! My date is 3/7. Just wanted to offer my to ya. I'm also having a TVH, but actually, I found out today it's going to be a LAVH...which is fine with me, but I remember asking my doc specifically if it was going to be laproscopic and he said no...perhaps he misunderstood my question...

Anyway - enough rambling! Good luck and happy recovery!
Unread 03-01-2002, 11:37 AM
same as you

hey nwgirl, i'm also 41 and going to castle Mar.26 for a large fibroid. mine is gonna be abdominal/bikini surg. tho. I can relate about the bleeding and awful debilitating cramps. I bled for 3 months straight and actually thought I was goin thru menopause. I decided maybe I should go to dr. and......SURPRISE!!!! I'm very nervous about the surgery so many questions, but i'm also excited about feeling normal again. Please check out the chat room, you'll get alot, no, ALOT of support there. My aim name is JSarahBrian, look for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2002, 11:54 AM
my turn is 3/4

Hi and welcome! I'm so glad you found us!

I also had a large fibroid a couple of years ago, and had a TAH (Total Abdominal Hysterectomy). I found lots of helpful hints and support on this site. Here are some of the things that helped me get through my recovery:

Once you're at home, you'll need to have some comfortable clothes to wear. I found men's pajamas very comfortable, because the large, drawstring waists came up well above my incision, and the button-up tops didn't have to go over my head (hard to get my arms up). You will probably want to have large, "granny-panties" in a size or two large than you normally wear (you will be swollen and sore!).

Have a tummy pillow handy at all times! This would be a small pillow that you hold against your abdomen when you have to sneeze or cough. Keep it where you can grab it with only a second’s notice! I had a sneeze sneak up on me once when I couldn’t grab my pillow – ouch! It felt like my insides exploded.

Have plenty of no-preparation foods on hand, like fruit, soup, cereal, snack bars, etc. I had absolutely no appetite for a couple of weeks, and my frantic husband finally convinced me to drink some Ensure, which went down ok. You may want to have some of that in the fridge for times you just don’t feel like eating, but need nourishment.

Also, buy PLENTY of juice! You will need to drink LOTS of liquids when you get home to help with the gas. I got bored with the same type of juice, so my husband bought lots of different types, and put them in small containers for me (I found it difficult to lift and pour large containers for awhile). Don't drink anything carbonated, and don't use a straw (makes the gas worse).

WALKING is very helpful with the gas! Walk as often as is comfortable (my walks were VERY short and slow, but I did several a day), and it should really help get your bowels working smoothly again.

I also found a shower chair very helpful. Standing up long enough to shower wore me out! You could also use any plastic chair that will fit in your shower.

VERY IMPORTANT: have anything you might need at waist-level. This includes toilet paper, pads, clothing, cups, food, plates, etc. Believe me, you will NOT want to bend or reach for anything! The house may look cluttered for awhile with everything sitting out on counter tops, but it's worth it!

If you’re going to be alone, make sure the phone is where you can reach it at ALL times! Several of us have gotten “stuck” (couldn’t get off the couch without help, problems in the bathroom, etc.), and have needed to call for assistance. I kept a tiny cell phone in my pocket all the time. That way, I could even call my home number from inside my house if I needed my husband and he couldn’t hear me!

Also, it may be helpful to have some cash on hand. If you have to ask a friend/neighbor to run to the store to buy some milk, for example, it’s easier if you have some cash to hand them!

Once you’re feeling a bit better, you might start getting a bit bored. Unfortunately, you will be very limited in what you will be able to do. These are some things I did to pass the time, along with some suggestions from other hystersisters:

Reading LOTS of books
Writing long letters to friends and family (real letters, not e-mail!)
Organizing photo albums
Drew out plans for the garden
Bought a tape to improve Spanish skills
Watching lots of movies
Crafts, quilting, etc.
HYSTERSISTERS site!

Good luck, and keep reading and posting your questions!
Unread 03-01-2002, 12:20 PM
my turn is 3/4

I had a TVH (kept ovaries) on 2/13/02 and am feeling pretty good. I just turned 40 last month and consider myself pretty healthy. Since you don't have a cut on your abdomen you sometimes forget that you had surgery. I have to say my recovery has gone pretty smoothly. Most of my pain has been from the A&P repair. The first week my bladder was still trying to adjust but settled down by day 7. Then I started having bleeding not bad, but enough to scare me into thinking something was wrong. Called doctor and he said this was normal as long as it was less than a period. This stopped on day 14. Since I've been home I have taken nothing but 800mg Motrin. The Percocet they gave me made me have weird dreams and I felt like I was on speed. I didn't like that. I took the Motrin about every 6 hours at first and now take it about every 10-12 hours. I have watched TV and read alot. I do get up and walk around the house and outside when the weather permits me to do so. This web site has been a blessing. When ever I have a question about something I just get on hystersisters and do a search and my questions are answered!

I hope everything goes well for you too and all the other sisters in waiting. If you have any other questions or just curious about other things feel free to e-mail me. Karen
Unread 03-01-2002, 01:16 PM
TVH

I had my TVH on 2/19...came home the next day felt wonderful. The worst part of the entire surgery was the hemorrhoids I got on day 5 post op..by the way ladies. I tried everything until my family doc told me up to four prep H suppositories and americaine on the outside and by the second day of doing that they are all gone..I am 41 and suffered for yrs from endo and adhesions. I was able to keep my ovaries as my dr didn't want me to go right into menopause and becuz of family history of cancer and my high blood pressure HRT was not a good choice for me at this time I have had some night sweats as my ovaries are kinda sluggish. I have had a few crying jags..But I feel great I do feel now at ten days post op that I am healing inside and can tell and I overdid it yesterday so am a bit sore today Mostly just went to grocery store with hubby so was on my feet alot. I drink a TON of cran/strawberry juice and have had no bladder problems. And cranberry juice has the vitamin C in it that helps us to heal and an antioxidant which is good for us. I can't waite until I am fully recovered not to feel the pain I was in before..My dr put packing in me which she removed the next morning and I have heard horror stories of removing that but it didn't even hurt at all In fact I was expecting my vagina and peri area to hurt bad afterwards like after having a baby and there was no pain there at all Just a heavy feeling I have the major swelly belly..Asked hubby if they put a baby in there instead of removing my uterus...haha..But there is no more back pain and leg pain and hurt like before..It is so worth it and if I din'dt develp the hemmies I'd of never felt like I had surgery I was a good girl..Kept my feet up most of the time and no lifting no bending stretching lots of fluids . I only bled the day after the surgery and then it stopped..It is not a bad surgery at all. Not as bad as childbirth..Just remember to take life very easy afterwards when I get bored I remember someone on this site saying you only have one chance to heal don't blow it..Hugz and good luck to you

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register