Having second thoughts! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having second thoughts! Having second thoughts!

Unread 03-01-2002, 04:34 PM
Having second thoughts!

I have been reading through this site for several weeks now. I have a hysterectomy scheduled for May 20th. I am 44yr old and have had abnormal uterine bleeding for almost two years now. I have tried both birth control and progesterone a couple of times, and had a D&C. Last Oct. I also had two ruptured cysts in the left ovary. And have fluid in one fallopian tube.

So, now the plan is to remove both ovaries and fallopian tubes. But I am now having serious second thoughts:

Due to a close family history of brest cancer and early heart disease I am not a great candidate for HRT. And to cloud the situation I have also just been diagnosed with early osteoporosis. So between the heart history and the osteoporosis, I think that I should keep my ovaries. I also have a friend who had a hysterectomy at about my same age several yrs ago. In the past 3 yrs she looks like she has aged 15 yrs. Her skin and hair look different. She has gained 20 lbs. And she has had some depression. None of those sound like fun (and trust me I can't afford to gain 20 pounds!!!).

So, now that I have gone on and on, I have an appointment with my gyn next week to talk some more. I am not sure if I want to just tell him to leave my ovaries in and I will take my chances with more ruptured cysts (there are more) or if I want to just forget the whole thing for now (but I am really tired of bleeding for more of the month than not. No anemia though).

Has anyone had any experience with leaving in ovaries with cysts? Would the surgery be likely to increase the cysts? Are the cysts likely to cause the ovaries to fail sooner?

This is a great site for seeing what others have gone thorugh.

Caren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2002, 04:50 PM
Having second thoughts!

Hi. Well you certainly do have some valid concerns. I think that your doctor would understand your second thoughts, and the questions you asked are really great ones and I hope you will address these with your doctor. He will probably be impressed with your active participation in the care of your health.

I have read that woman who go into natural menopause still continue to develop cysts, so I would imagine that your problem with cysts would not go away with just removing the uterus. However, I am not a doctor and that is just what I imagine from what I have read.

I wish you the best on your quest to make the right decision for your health, and send out a prayer for you too
Unread 03-01-2002, 06:33 PM
Having second thoughts!

Hi Caren!

((((HUGS)))), sweetie! This is a very important decision, and just as tough as it is important. I agree with Jerianne that further discussion with your DR is a good idea.

Do know that not everyone who has had a hysterectomy gains weight and ages faster -- we really all react differently and have such varying circumstances; don't let that one thing be a deciding factor. I think your health is the absolute most important and what is best for you is the focus right now.

If I had a choice, I would have tried to keep at least one ovary, but that was not possible for me.

Best wishes, sweetie - I know you will make the best decision for you! Please stick around and let us know how things progress for you!

((((((HUGS)))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2002, 08:04 PM
lost weight

I lost weight since my hyst. my hair and skin are fine. you need to have a heart to heart with your dr you may be back in for more surgery if you leave in ovaries just take a deep breath I can say I have frienda who have had hyst one 10 years post none have aged or have bad hair. or gained weight not a single one.
Unread 03-07-2002, 04:44 PM
Having second thoughts!

In the past week I have gone from "take it all out" to "I want to keep my ovaries" to "cancel it all" . today I had another visit with my gyn to discuss my concerns and second thoughts. He was really very good and let me rant on and on about my concerns and then agreed to try and leave my ovaries, assuming he finds them to be in reasonably good condition (I have multi cysts). He said if they look ok, with only cysts, he can drain the cysts and still save the ovaries. But he really is pushing for going abdominal rather than laproscopic. He is concerned about adhesions from a previous surgery and wants to be able to look at and touch the ovaries to make sure they look and feel healthy. I was hoping to be back to work sooner by having it done laproscopic.

I had some concerns with my surgery being scheduled at my third (out of three) choice hospital and on a Monday rather than the Wed. I had requested. I work a 12 hr, 3 days a week job. If I have the surgery done on a Wed, I can get an entire weeks work in before the surgery. He said we can go to the second choice and do the surgery on a Wed, no problem was how he made it sound to me. But now the person who does the scheduling is giving me a hard time about this. I actually had to tell her to go talk to the Dr. about it since she was refusing to schedule on Wed. and still wants to go to the other hospital. Still waiting for a date from her.

Long story short, I am now having thoughts about just telling them to forget the whole thing! I am also having a bladder suspension at the same time, so I know that it has to be coordinated with another office which makes it more complicated. But this seems to be stressing me out more than the big decisions. So, am I have a peek at what menopause is like. I have felt like crying all day over this stupid meaningless mess. I made it through the hard decisions without a problem.

Caren (who is way to emotional today!!)
still waiting for a date!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register