Your advice please ;-) | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Your advice please ;-) Your advice please ;-)

Unread 03-02-2002, 12:17 AM
Your advice please ;-)

TAH scheduled for April 2. There will not be anyone to help me when I come home. Do you think I would be able to take care of myself? In my apt. bed/bath are upstairs. I plan to put a little fridge and microwave in the bedroom. I do have a 13 yr. old daughter who will be in school during the day and I may have to rely on her to be my "feet" for a couple of days after school. My boss asked if I would be back to work in a week and Dr. said no, I would need more recovery time. The boss isn't too happy with that! I realize that everyone is different and there are SO many different experiences and opinions expressed on this site I guess I will just have to see how I am feeling and go from there. I am very concerned about the taxi ride home and getting myself settled in - it just frightens me being alone after such an ordeal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2002, 04:27 AM
Your advice please ;-)

Recovery time before returning to work is 6-8 weeks. I took 8 weeks and I know some women have needed longer. Your doctor will not release you to return to work until you are ready. Your returning to work after a couple of weeks is NOT an option. Your doctor will not allow it.

Returning to work too soon can cause complications. Sometimes the complications require additional surgery. So.............you have only ONE time to heal properly and that is your recovery following your hysterectomy.

Do you have ANY friends who would let you stay with them for the first week or two? I do not like the idea that you will be alone. I had friends offer to do whatever. In your situation it would be great if you could just spend the first 2 weeks with a friend............this is MAJOR surgery.
Unread 03-02-2002, 04:49 AM
Your advice please ;-)

I am in a similar situation but I have a DH who will be around at some point in the day. I had abdominal surgery and a C-section and I can tell you it is hard to get around for the first few days. I have kept my 9 yr old step-daughter home from school so she could help out and just be there in case something went wrong. Can you do that with your 13 yr old? I have always been able to get back on my feet (although very slowly and gently) after just a couple of days. That means getting a drink or going to the bathroom by myself, not housework or walks outside for fresh air. I don't know if this surgery calls for more rest or not but my GYN said I should be up and about rather quickly but I am not sure of what his definition of quickly is. I need to check on that so I am not out running marathons too soon. LOL I really hope you find someone to stay with you!

JoAnn

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register