Scared! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-02-2002, 03:43 AM
Scared!

I found this site the other day and think it's great. I haven't got an op date yet but think it may be mid-year, but I think about it every day - I even dreamed about being in hospital the other night! Having said that, if they offered me a bed tomorrow I'd be there like a shot........ can't wait to be a proper Princess, rather than a Lady in Waiting.
This thing seems to be taking over my life - any suggestions for putting it at the back of your mind?!
Looking forward to hearing from you all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2002, 08:15 AM
Scared!

Hello Jules

Poor you! The waiting is the worst bit. I was very lucky in that I had private health insurance so was able to plan my op date. I decided on the hyst in April and booked the op for July so that I had time to get things at home in order and get fit. Some people said to me that they would rather have gone in the next day and my consultant was surprised that I wanted to wait so long, but I had things already booked and I wanted to get the garden sorted etc etc and also to book a time when my husband would be around.

My only suggestion for you is to do all the things you won't be able to do for a while after the op, like gardening, getting the car serviced, getting your hair done (!), having lunch with friends, walking, decorating, whatever. Not only does it keep you busy, it is also invaluable when you have the op and know that you have done all you could to be prepared. Apart from that, go out and enjoy yourself - you have made the decision, so try to stop thinking about it and reading about it - too much information can be harmful!!

Keep posting and we'll all try to keep you cheerful - it's really normal to be scared.
Unread 03-02-2002, 06:19 PM
Scared!

Hello Jules and welcome to Hyster Sisters. I remember very well how my life revolved around my upcoming surgery, when I was a . I would also "see" myself in the hospital and was alternating between wanting it over, NOW!! and running away from the surgery altogether.

Now is the time to get informed.

Read the pull-down menus available at the bottom of the Hyster Sisters Home Page. The Ladies in Waiting section is full of tips for the , ranging from how to prepare your recovery room, to what to take the castle to helping others care for the

Use this time to read the posts in the Pre-Op forum and ask any question you feel like asking.

I believe that being informed is power. I know that I attribute the fact that I was sooooo calm by the time I headed to OR to reading everything I could about the procedures I was about to have.

Hang in there: being a Lady In Waiting is the hardest part. And we'll be right there with you, every step of the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2002, 03:08 PM
scared and unsure

I opened your email because of title, but you don't seem scared about op, more eager. I have been for my second appointment with dr today who is trying to persuade me to have hysterectomy for fibroids, but I cannot bring myself to agree just yet. It has been nice to read the emails on this site from people who feel the same - so why do you feel so ready to go ahead? Will I ever feel 'ready'? I would love to ask you a whole list of questions, but since you are in the same position - lady in waiting - I think that would be unfair. Anyway glad to hear that you are happy to go ahead with op - good luck.
Unread 03-04-2002, 05:43 PM
Waiting is the worst

You sound in great shape! Remember it is all worth it!!
Before my surgery, I rushed around like mad -- trying to remember what 'balls' were in the air to pass to someone else. And guess what, it does not matter... Everything gets done, and if it does not -- it is not important.

You don't sound scared to me -- and neither should you be -- everything will be just fine. Much support,
Unread 03-05-2002, 01:35 PM
scared but raring to go!

Hi to you all - it's great to know that there are other women out there who care about each other - we are one big team!

You've helped me realise that yes, I'm scared, but I'm definitely eager - I'm so ready for this, and I know it's because I've been reading up on my condition (both through this message board and elsewhere), and on possible options, and because I have my super family behind me. I feel very informed. My mum and both her sisters had hysts in their 30's, so I was kind of expecting it in any case - for the same reason as me (fibroids, massive passing-out pain, quantity and length of bleeding). I've also decided to have my ovaries removed, on the advice of my consultant, because of raging PMT, and will go straight onto HRT as soon as I become a . I know it doesn't suit some people but I will find something that does !!

Amanda - Of course you can ask me questions - we can share our Lady in Waiting thoughts!

Brenda-Ann - Thanks for your support - I think from your other postings you live where my mum does!

Peveril - you're right about the balls I think! even my boss said, just get a date and get it done, don't worry about what's happening at work, it can all wait.

Dany - thanks for moving my message to this board - I tried to find out how to do it, after I'd posted it to the Europe board, but failed miserably! Hyster Sisters is great thank you.

By the way, has anyone in the UK managed to find a source for the Land of Hyster book?

Bye for now

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register