Had the big "BM" this morning | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had the big "BM" this morning Had the big "BM" this morning

Unread 03-02-2002, 05:04 AM
Had the big "BM" this morning

I already posted about my surgery experience but I walked in here to post that this morning because I had to move my bowels. I took a rolled up towel to push against my stomach (even though I had a vaginal, it is still tender in there), I was getting geared up for this horrible experience, and nothing happened except a bowel movement. NO PAIN, NO NOTHING!

I will tell you this though, I brought along my own stool softener to the hospital and I took one with every meal. Of course you need to clear this with your doctor first. I continue to take them her at home for at least a few more days. My DH is glad because that is all I've talked about for the last 3 days! Ha Ha

One more thing over with and I didn't have the terrible experience that I thought I would.

FEAR NOT MY FELLOW LADIES IN WAITING!!!

God Bless you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2002, 05:31 AM

Hi There!

Thank you for sharing.

I remember when I finally had my first bowel movement after my surgery, I was very happy and very relieved! I wanted to shout it from the rooftops! (and then look at everyone's facial expression... like.... "huh???" )

Congratulations - may you continue to have 'smooth' sailing throughout your recovery!

((((((((HUGS)))))))
Unread 03-02-2002, 05:41 AM

Too funny, I am glad you are doing well. I took the stool softeners too and they helped me a lot. Keep up the good work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2002, 05:58 AM
It IS quite an accomplishment, isn't it?

After eight days in the hospital with nothing, they tried a Fleets which produced limited results--but results! My first one at home (went home on day 9) made me feel like I was getting back to normal. Strange the things that go on after a hysterectomy that get us excited! Mine were quite painful for a while, but a second surgeon did a lot of bowel work (cancer spread on mine) and she had to move it around a lot.
Unread 03-02-2002, 06:28 AM

Thanks for sharing. I am scheduled for surgery on 3-18 and have been thinking about what it might be like to have the first BM. I can always use positive reports. Thanks for the support.
Unread 03-02-2002, 06:34 AM

That's a wonderful story! I too was in a similar situation.
Unread 03-02-2002, 06:37 AM

Yeah....I know just how you felt.....I am12 days out from my TAH and my first one was a great relief....we all made jokes about it. Even my little niece kept telling me to go try to poo. I also wanted the world to know it when it happened.
Remember to take it easy and keep drinking those fluids.
Take care,
Deby
Unread 03-02-2002, 08:23 AM
BM

That is too funny..I was the same way...Worried about going pee the first time after they took the cath out and then terrified of the first BM but it wasn't bad at all..I still take stool softeners so that I don't end up constipated But I did get hemorrhoids. NOT from the BM tho cuz had no problem with that..Just from the surgery itself Finally they are going away Still bleeding but not so sore that I can't sit ...Funny the things we get excited about after having our hysters...My hubby heard for days omg..I have to keep on top of these hemmies and get rid of them blah blah blah..Think he thought I was nuts..
Unread 03-02-2002, 09:06 AM
1st post-op BM

Hey sisters,
Just a word of caution. I was so afraid of getting constipated, that the day after surery I took 2 doses of Milk of Mag and in the afternoon drank some prune juice. BIG MISTAKE!! :cry:
I spent 4 1/2 hours on and off the potty (mostly on!) with diarhea (sp). It was horrible!! I finally asked the nurse to give me a shot of Phenergan so I could just go to sleep. The next morning, only had one episode and then was fine. Went home that afternoon and all was well. Just be careful with the stool softeners, they might backfire!!
Wishing all a speedy recovery!!
God Bless,
Kim
Unread 03-02-2002, 09:54 AM

Glad everything came out all right!

Hey -- speaking of stool softeners -- what's a good one? I want to be prepared when I arrive at the castle.

Melissa

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register