Decision day | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-02-2002, 06:03 AM
Decision day

Dear Sisters:
I met with Dr. last Friday to go over hyst. & options once more. It was my "decision day:" the day I would definitely choose which route I would take to end the endless fibroids/heavy bleeding cycle.
We went over what (in my case) were the options: removing the fibroid/ablation, hyst. or do nothing. Do Nothing is not an option for me at this point - I suppose I could try to "wait it out" till menopause sets in (I'm 51) but it's a crap shoot at best. Have no idea when that time will arrive. I was also not thrilled about being on lupron for 3 months & nasty side effects I've heard about; dr. said at best it would be a patchwork approach for me & I may end up coming back for a total hyst. down the road anyway. No way I want to go thru this again!
I chose a hyst. & specifically requested a LSH, the least-invasive procedure I've researched. Dr. said he could do it (he's the "lap" guy of the ob/gyn group). I told him I wanted a morphine pump for pain (didn't get one when I had my gall bladder out 5 years ago-also a lap procedure). Dr. was a bit reluctant - says it slows down the bowel - but he'll put it down for me anyway. I don't want to be shot in the butt every few hours with demerol when I'm already in pain!
We discussed removing the ovaries; mom died of ovarian cancer & I have a history of ovarian cysts for the past several years. Dr. said with my family & personal history, he strongly recommended I remove ovaries as well. My twin sister - the family - agreed when I consulted with her. So I made that decision too. Surgery is scheduled April 23 - 3 days after my 52nd birthday. Dr. said - it's OK if you change your mind, even now (don't think I will unless I magically encounter menopause!) My one small concern is that there is always the possibility (as with the gall bladder surgery) that the lap could turn into an abdominal if they find something unexpected. Chances are it will likely be a lap, but Dr. said I have to prepare for other situation. I guess I'm resigned to that altho not thrilled...
So where am I now? I'm scared to death but I'm relieved to have made the decision & I feel it was the right, informed one I made. I also felt in control of the decision-making process. Dr. never pushed; he let *me* make the decision, altho when I asked his "professional opinion", he agree the LSH was the best option. I chose the procedure I wanted (I was ready to ask for someone else if Dr. didn't do LSH). I don't want to be out of commission for a long time! I also chose a date that was convenient for me, not the Dr. -- March is very busy, am running 2 big dance workshop events & couldn't do them if I was recovering from surgery. (I teach/perform Middle Eastern Dance (aka belly-hah!) in my spare time!)
My sister said she will accompany me to the hospital & help see me thru the surgery. DH will be there too, and he is wonderful & supportive, but somehow I think it will be my women friends who will get me thru this. 2 friends have offered to come & stay with me post-op to help me thru recovery for a few days.
I do feel blessed and I thank God I found all my hystersisters on this Forum, too. You have helped me make this very difficult decision & have shown me what real courage looks like...
I'm trying to push everything in the back of my mind right now but I know as the date approaches, I will get increasingly nerve-wracked. I'm not missing my uterus - yet. Experiencing some head trips...No children, had one miscarriage (blighted ovum) & I'm pretty much past the childbearing years...and this feels so final...:cry: I guess it is.
Thank you for being here as the best support system in the world (along with my wonderful family & friends.) A big to you all!

love,
Marisa

LSH/BSO for multiple fibroids, heavy bleeding on April 23.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2002, 06:16 AM
Decision day

Hi Marisa!

I know it must be a lot of weight off your mind to have come to a decision, the one you are most comfortable with.

Please keep us posted during your journey - I know this site and all my terrific hystersisters helped me immensely throughout my journey, too!

I'm sending all positive thoughts and big cyberhugs your way!

Unread 03-02-2002, 07:46 AM
Decision day

Good for you! The decision is made! The worst is truly over! It is all downhill for you now! At 8 months PO I can tell you that anything that comes after the big decision day is cake! I had a TAH/BSO at 45 years old, and I feel the best I have felt since I was 12 without that **** uterus! I will never forget the joy I felt after I drove home blasting my CD player with island music after I had made the decision with my doc. I was psyched! I was thrilled! Now go about making your plans with glee! Organize your little nest for the big day, and remember: the sisters are with you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 07:06 PM
Decision day

Dear Sisters:
Thank you for your words of encouragement and support!
I have a feeling that as I get closer to *D-Day*, I will need every one of them!
Sitting here with my period coming on (again!) & realizing why I made this decision!

Marisa

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register