15 Minute Ride Home | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

15 Minute Ride Home 15 Minute Ride Home

Unread 03-02-2002, 12:40 PM
15 Minute Ride Home

Just wondering if I should request pain med for my ride home. I live 15-20 minutes from the hospital, all main type roads, lots of lights, and since I'm in Illionois, lots of potholes and cracks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2002, 01:32 PM
15 Minute Ride Home

Susie,
I had an hour drive home down a 2 lane road through the great Dismal Swamp.(BUMPY! Creepy even before surgery.)
I had 2 pillows and a small blanket in the car.
If you are in a big SUV or truck, have DH or someone get a stepstool- much easier to step into big vehicle than slide down into low car, I think.
I just took Motrin,but had pain med handy,just in case, but potholes, I might take the med before leaving.
I was more worried about that ride home than the surgery!
Hope this helps you.
Unread 03-02-2002, 01:42 PM
15 Minute Ride Home

Hi Susie Q, I assume you will be on pain meds anyway that soon after surgery, most of us are. It's true that it's much easier to climb up into a truck or SUV than down into a low car. You shouldn't have a problem though. Good luck and
s,

- Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2002, 01:52 PM
15 Minute Ride Home

SusieQ

Just wanted to add - Don't forget to take a pillow for the ride home. I don't live far from the hosp, but the pillow between the seat belt and me made it a lot easier to be in the car.

Best wishes and regards

Gail
Unread 03-02-2002, 02:20 PM
15 Minute Ride Home

Sounds like good advise here to me. I took my pain meds regularly the first several days. The key to pain control is keeping the medication in your system to prevent the pain from getting bad to begin with. If you let it wear off before taking the next dose, it's harder to get it back under control.

I hope you have an uneventful castle stay & speedy recovery.

s
Unread 03-02-2002, 02:47 PM
Bags Packed

I got my bag packed and my pillow picked out. I'm ready. I hope these 5 days left fly by. My only concern now seems to be how long I'll be in the castle, I hope longer than my insurance says. 1 day. ROFL. We have a minivan, so I won't have any high stepping to do. But I'm worried about all the cuts they will make.. Yikes, I'm going to look like a guy with a bad shave job.....
Unread 03-02-2002, 02:56 PM
15 Minute Ride Home

I will have a 1 hour drive home after my SAH & left ovary-tube. The Doc. says that 2 days in the hospital should be enough time to make the drive.
Has anyone had this experience..if so, what type of pn. med. worked for you? I am so scared of having this procedure away from home as it is!

Thanks so much, Love,
Deborah D.
Unread 03-02-2002, 05:23 PM
15 Minute Ride Home

TAKE TWO PILLOWS ONE FOR BOTTOM ONE FOR TUMMIE
Unread 03-02-2002, 05:29 PM
15 Minute Ride Home

SusieQ:

I think the pain meds are a good idea, even for a 15 to 20 min drive. Most of us are still taking pain meds regularly when we leave the hospital. My nurse made sure I got pain meds right before I left ... I needed it (TAH/BSO).

Deborah Dawn:

Take pain meds right before you leave. I was taking percocet at that time. You might want to lie down in the car since you have a 1 hour drive. Or if you have a reclining passenger seat in front, that would work. Be sure you have a couple of pillows in the car. You'll make it, but you'll be really happy to be home and lying on the couch (or your bed).

Beth
Unread 03-02-2002, 05:51 PM
15 Minute Ride Home

Actually the nurse gave me 2 percodans with discharge orders,
she had me take them about 15 minites before I left the hospital because I was going to Vicodin after that. I only had a 10 minute ride, I didn't even ask for the perdodan but wasn't about to refuse them. Definitley make sure you leave the hospital with a
fresh pain kill. it might be your last strong one!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register