Can Rectocele repair fix rectal prolapse??? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can Rectocele repair fix rectal prolapse??? Can Rectocele repair fix rectal prolapse???

Unread 03-02-2002, 02:20 PM
Can Rectocele repair fix rectal prolapse???

I'm visiting queen mommy this weekend (very nice and relaxing), but am more and more concerned that my mild rectocele could maybe be a worsening rectal prolapse. Now, I have to wait until Monday to call the doctor ...

Has anyone had rectal prolapse? Can a rectocele-repair procedure repair it if that is what's happening? Can a rectocele mimic a rectal prolapse?

Good thing I'm at mom's - can talk to her and sis about these details that I have agreed to spare my dh from. Any information will be greatly appreciated ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2002, 05:37 PM

Hi Katie!
I really can't help. I actually thought that they were the same thing or very similar. Either way, I just thought I would bump this back up so that someone else might respond.

Rayna
Unread 03-02-2002, 06:32 PM

Thanks ... and I got one of the ??? backwards, but I hope you all know what I'm asking. Can symptoms of a prolapse be misconstrued for a problematic rectocele, even if the latter is really "mild" ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2002, 09:22 PM

Hi Katie. I'm not sure what a rectal prolapse would be if you still have your uterus...normally what prolapses is the uterus, or vagina if you've already had a hyst. I had a prolapse, rectocele and cystocele...my understanding from my DR is that the prolapse happened first and then the cystocele and rectocele resulted from it because there were just too many things crowded down into too small a space! I had a 3rd degree uterine prolapse so my cervix was actually outside my body - it certainly was quite a surprise to me! The hysterectomy "fixed" the prolapse (what's not there can't fall!) and the posterior repair fixed the rectocele. The anterior repair fixed the cystocele and the resuspension "tied" the bladder and rectum up so they won't fall and cause a vaginal prolapse.
I hope this helps.

s,

- Linda
Unread 03-03-2002, 12:05 PM

If it's true that they tend to happen after another is started, isn't it possible then that the ligaments from sacrum to pubic bone, if weakened, could cause them all to fall at approximately the same rate? If that's what's happening to me, what kinds of surgical help is enough?

I'm scheduled for TVH, cystocele, and rectocele repairs.
Unread 03-03-2002, 12:56 PM

Hi Katie, yes, I had the same things. My DR said that generally what happens is everything starts to fall but because the vagina is a big elastic space that is where it all collapses into. Usually the uterus comes down through the vagina and the bladder and rectum push in from the front and back. Anyway only your can say whether you need anything other than hyst. and A&P repair. The A&P repair is supposed to strengthen the walls of the vagina so that it's less likely that the bladder or rectum can push into them again, and also to close up the "pockets" in the vagina that are the cystocele and rectocele. Mine did resuspension as well because I was having bladder and rectal problems as a consequence of the prolapse. The other thing we have to keep in mind is that it is possible for the ligaments to loosen up again later on down the road. I am ing that doesn't happen! That is why I had the hyst. instead of trying to tie the uterus back up. It was so far down that the likelihood of it staying back up there afterwards was pretty low and I didn't want another prolapse if I could avoid it. And I had the BSO because I'm 45 and was already perimenopausal anyway and wanted to simplify the HRT problem (so far that's working). If you are concerned that the TVH and A&P repair might not do the trick for you, you might want to get a second opinion. There's nothing wrong with that, and either way you gain - either it would lead to a more thorough surgery if needed, or it would give you more confidence in your DR's recommendation. Good luck, and feel free to email me any time.

s,

- Linda
Unread 03-04-2002, 05:49 AM

Thank you ... I called the colo-rectal surgeon's office, and his nurse scheduled me to have him take another look on 3/15. On one site, repair for it was described as a rectal rectocele-repair, but there was so much "general" information, I know I'll feel better to address it with him and not leave it to chance.

My sis works for a surgeon, and she's asking him, too ("free" 2nd opinion). Guess my questions will have answers soon (though never soon enough). I'll let you all know what he says.
Unread 03-04-2002, 07:57 AM

Good luck, Katie! Let us know what you find out!

- Linda
Unread 03-08-2002, 11:05 AM
A&P

Hi ladies,

I probably sound dumb asking this question, but I'll ask anyway. I am new to this site and had a TAH and BSO on 1-25-02. I love reading all the different posts and everyone is such a help. Anyhow, since I am new here I'm not familiar with all the abbreviations. Would someone tell me what a A&P is?

Thanks to all
Ardene
Unread 03-08-2002, 11:23 AM

Sure, Ardene, there's no such thing as a dumb question. A&P repair is "anterior and posterior" repair. It means repair to the vaginal walls both in front (where the bladder is) and back (where the rectum is).
- Linda

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register