shaving - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-03-2002, 02:28 AM
Creeped out...

The nurse from the hospital called me the night before surgery and told me that they would do it. She said not to do it myself, cause of possible infection. I told her I felt a little wierd about it, but to put my mind at ease, she reminded me that I had already had 3 kids, many pelvic and pap exams, she'd been a surgery nurse for 38 years and that I had nothing to hide anymore!!. The way she laid it all out for me was meant in good humor and made me feel a little better about it. When she did "the deed" I was fully awake about 10 mins before surgery, and she had another nurse in there asking me questions. It never occured to me that it was just a distraction tactic, as the second nurse wasn't even writing down any of the answers!!!
All in all it wasn't that bad considering the things that most of us have already been through. I'm sure there are worse things I could have had to do. I did not have to do the betadine thing, they obviously did that after I was asleep, I woke up with orange stains down to my knees!! LOL Thank god it washed off!!!
Kelkie(Kelly)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 04:23 AM
shaving

I asked the pre-op nurse if they were going to shave me and she said if they did it would be minimal.

So, first I trimmed with the scissors, then I actually waxed the top area about 1 inch. The hairs that didnt come out with the wax, I plucked.

I always wax. I havent shaved for years.

I'm having my hyster in approx 9 hrs time.

Tracey
(Melbourne, Australia)
Unread 03-03-2002, 07:21 AM
shaving

I got the little electric shaver treatment too, about 2-3 inches off the top. I was fully conscious at the time, but it was no big deal. We joked about it and the nurse told me about all of her own health problems to distract me.

When it grew back it itched like crazy, right when my incision was itching also. Nearly drove me nuts. Since then I read a post suggesting using creme rinse to prevent the hair regrowth itchiness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 08:25 AM
Silly me!

My surgery is in 19 hours and this is a whole topic I never even considered! yikes! I am having a LAVH/BSO......am I going to need a shave???? Oh great...one more demeaning thing to endure before this is all over!
Unread 03-03-2002, 08:32 AM
shaving

I already shave there so when the nurse came in to shave me, she laughed and said this would be the quickest shave job she'd ever done!! I don't know what all she had planned on shaving but since there was nothing for her to do, she went out and said "she's ready" Nurses came to get me and of we went to the OR holding room.
Unread 03-03-2002, 05:04 PM
shaving

Thanks for all the advise!! It puts my mind at ease that everything will be o.k. with the shaving part. I had actually thought of going to the spa and having my bikini line waxed this week since my surgery will be a couple weeks away. (I will find out on Tue. the actual date
Unread 03-04-2002, 12:41 PM
Shaving

It looks like all doctors and hospitals are different. My doctor actually TOLD me to do the shaving myself. Every time I asked her about pre-op preparation, all she said was, "all you need to do is shave yourself." When I asked her about nicking myself and infection, she laughed and said "I'm going to be giving you a bigger nick than anything a razor can give you." Even the nurse who was prepping me right before surgery said (with a laugh) that it was a good thing I shaved myself because they have this wretched dry razor they use. Anyway, I guess it all depends on the doc. Good luck!

Patti

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register