Info about adhesions | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Info about adhesions Info about adhesions

Unread 03-02-2002, 05:57 PM
Info about adhesions

While I'm waiting for my hysterectomy appointment, (called 3 times Friday- guess I'll have to be brave again on Monday), I'm trying to get all my last minute questions, My gyn called this massive scar tissue I have "adhesions", it showed up on my first lap, dr. said I was a mess didn't remove it., second lap it was removed (by my present dr.), now it's back....What causes adhesions if you've never had surgery???? And what kind of symptoms, and will it be back? I've went on different websites, just thought if someone on this site had their own experience with it I could relate to it. If I understood the gyn last time he said it could come off this constant inflammation around my reproductive organs.
(I'm having hysterectomy for fibroid, adhesions, cyst, and tumor?/cyst on inside right ovary and chronic pelvic pain).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2002, 09:42 PM
Info about adhesions

Hey Grace,

I too have adhesions and was told it is scar tissue from other surgeries - I had a TAH/BSO 2-11-02 and they could not take my cervix because doctor said it is "superglued" to my bladder. He feels mine is from gallbladder surgery in 1999. You should ask your doctor about your adhesions and get all the info you can from him.
Good luck with your surgery -- you will be in our thoughts and prayers -- if you need anything let us know!
Unread 03-03-2002, 05:34 AM
Info about adhesions

Hi Angie,
You see that's where I'm confused, I never had any type of prior surgery to the laps. It was there when they opened me up. I am kind of interested in the cervix thing, since my bladder and uterus are wrapped together, he wanted to leave it, but I did have pre-cancerous lesions like 15 years ago, had them cut out and never have a had a problem with any pap test since then. So I'm so freaked out and totally nervous about my surgery I told him I never wanted to come back, so he said he would remove it. But then I read that it helps support the bladder, but then I read it doesn't. Go Figure. I just worry these adhesions will reattach to my intestines if it isn't my uterus etcc... causing them.
Thanks for the reply, let me know if you think of anything else.
By the way, how was your surgery, was it really a bad experience? I'm pretty scared.
KGrace (Brenda)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 06:06 AM
Info about adhesions

Gracie,
This is what I've been told about adhesions when you have endo ... the endo tissue bleeds each month when you have your cycle, just like the endometrial tissue inside your uterus. The endo tissue in other parts of your abdomen doesn't know it isn't inside your uterus and it responds to hormones, just like your uterine tissue. When the endo tissue bleeds, it aggravates surrounding organs and tissues and this is what causes the adhesions ... it's your body's way of dealing with the bleeding ... to create scar tissue ... called adhesions when inside your body cavity. That's why you can have adhesions even without prior surgeries ... my situation too, prior to my hyst.

You can develop adhesions following ANY type of surgery as well. So some adhesions are a result of prior surgeries.

You asked how surgery was ... I had a TAH/BSO. To be honest, the first two weeks were pretty tough for me. But I had very aggressive surgery to remove all the endo, in addition to removal of my uterus and ovaries. All in all, I'm feeling so good now I have to tell you it was well worth it. My life had very little joy prior to my hyst, due to the many years of chronic pain. I truly had forgotten how wonderful life can be when you aren't in pain. It is very scary, no doubt about it. And in my case, the pain was not fun for a couple of weeks. I shed a few tears. But the pain is short-lived in the big scheme of things ... a price I would pay again for how wonderful life is for me today.

Hang in there, Gracie! Think positive about the outcome ... you need to get your life back. You can do this!

Beth

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register