vitamins | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-03-2002, 07:30 AM
vitamins

Hello everyone ,, just thought I would give a little info before surgery that was brought to my attention from a cardiac nurse. She says to drink at least two protien drinks a day and multivitamin a day before surgery to help with your recovery. I know this works because my DH had triple bypass last June and he drank protien shakes and took vitamins before surgery and he healed alot faster than expected. So I am trying this too. five more days, and it seems like forever. angis ex navy brat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 07:59 AM
Hi Birds

what an interesting name. I have always taken vitamins C and E. I healed within days (my outside inscision) and I really think that my vitamins had a lot to do wiht it. Be sure and let them know that you are taking vitamins at your pre-op and drinking protein drinks I am sure it can't hurt but they need to know. Like I said I believe in my C and E but I have been taking them for at least 20 years. God Bless.
Unread 03-03-2002, 08:12 AM
vitamins

Protein does promote healing and Vitamin E works great for things like scar tissue. (My mother swears by the Vitamin E for that.) But...please check with your dr about taking ANYTHING, especially prior to surgery. The Vitamin C is a wonderful vitamin we all need, but it can cause increased bleeding for some. So do some other things like aspirin and some herbs. I'm sure you wouldn't want to risk losing too much blood during surgery, so I can't stress enough to clear everything with your dr before taking it. When I was discharged from the hospital, my dr did tell me to take a multivitamin daily. I'm not very good at staying on something like I should, but I could tell I felt more energetic while the vitamins were in my system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 08:29 AM
vitamins

I'm pretty religious about multi carotene, B complex, C, E, multiminerals, magnesium, and echinacea & goldenseal. I generally take handfuls of pills with every meal.

My surgeon referred me to the naturopath I regularly work with about what to take or not take before surgery. My naturopath told me to stop taking C and E a week before the surgery because of their blood-thinning properties. I can beef up on echinacea instead, and as soon as I can after surgery, I'll go back on my regular supplements.
Unread 03-03-2002, 09:12 AM
vitamins

Hi all, I agree, I normally take loads of vitamins and herbs but before my last 2 surgeries my DRs told me to stop the vitamin C and vitamin E, also no aspirin within 2 weeks of the surgery either before or after. Also my DR told me this time that I mustn't take multivitamins with iron anymore because since I don't have periods there isn't a way for my body to get rid of excess iron and it can build up in the liver. They make special multivitamins for "women over 50" (I'm not there quite yet but oh well) that don't contain iron. Besides, iron is constipating, which is just what new es don't need! Good luck and
s,

- Linda
Unread 03-03-2002, 10:18 AM
vitamins

Hi I did stop the vit E and aspirin last week, I used vit e on my c-section 13 years ago and it did work wonders. But then I healed really well and was walking when I got home. I know this surgery will be different, so everybody says. Just looking forward to the pressure on my right side to be gone. It feels like someone punch me there. thanks for info.
Unread 03-03-2002, 12:05 PM
vitamins

Hi all...

I take lots of vitamins and supplements, too and am a great believer in them. However, as many here have stated...

DO NOT take ANYTHING prior to your surgery without the SPECIFIC permission of your doctor!!! This includes vitamins, herbs, over-the-counter meds, prescription meds, etc. Be sure your surgeon knows about all your prescriptions especially if s/he is not your PCP.

There is a list of stuff not to take at the top of this forum...please read it! And add this question to your list of pre-op questions to take with you, so you won't forget!!!

This can jeopardize your surgery....it can be cancelled if you are taking certain things beforehand without your doctor being aware of it.

Be careful!!!

Karen
Unread 03-03-2002, 05:30 PM
vitamins

Hi Birds & Other Dear Sisters,

I just love this site. Everyone has such good info. I take vitamins and herbs, especially Vit. C. I had no idea it could prove harmful in surgery. My gyn took my list of meds and herbs but didn't say anything about them. I will be sure to ask as soon as they set the date.

Best wishes Birds for your castle date. I will be ray:ing for you.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register