Too young for endo?? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Too young for endo?? Too young for endo??

Unread 03-03-2002, 09:08 AM
Too young for endo??

Hi...This site has answered so many of my questions about my own adeno problems, I thought some one could help me with my step daughter...brief history: about a year and a half ago (age 18) she had a laporoscopy and hysteroscopy and they found stage 1 of endo and removed it....her mother had severe endo and a hysterectomy at 25. The doctor had told her that they caught it early and she should not have any problems with getting pregnant when she decides too (hopefully not for a LONG time--needs a good husband first haha)...well, her symptoms are now back, heavy periods and terrible cramps...she no longer has good insurance and says she cannot afford another surgery...I am so afraid that she will let it go too long and never be able to have children. Has anyone here had endo at such a young age? Did it come back so soon after being removed? She has a decent job, just horible benefits...is there any place she can turn to for help financially if this surgery is needed? She owes her doctor already so much from recent procedures that were not covered, she is afraid to go back to him....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 09:45 AM
No not to young

I was 19 when I was diagnosed with endo by lap. Actually I have read that endo can be found more commonly in teens. I believe I had it longer but mom never took me in to get checked and always blamed it on growing pains. She had the idea that I would live with her till I was about 25 but was she wrong. The dr. never told me not to wait to long to have kids but I did get engaged two weeks after my lap. I had in my mind that I would get my career first and then have a baby but it went the other way around. I'm a stay at home mom now till the youngest goes back to school. I can go back and finish my degree anytime but I could never go back and try to have a baby if it was to late. Marriage came a year after my lap and about 8 months into the marriage I saw a brand new dr who said I shouldn't wait more than 2 years from the diagnosis of endo to have a baby. He said pregnancy would take care of the endo or any symptoms of it. He was right. I got pregnant 6 months later after 4 months of trying. Had my first baby at 22, tried again for another child which I started going for infertility testing after it took a year to conceive but I miscarried. Got pregnant again 6 weeks after the miscarriage and that baby was born when I was 24, my third was born when I was 27. I had hysterectomy at age 29 and I was able to keep my ovaries because there was no sign of endo but I did have another diagnosis. I'm sure there are programs out there to help her. Be aware though that I wasn't covered under the new insurance for any reproductive issues after getting married because of my "pre-existing condition". Fortunately Clinton got that taken care of with the new law that states you can get covered for pre-existing conditions but there is a certain waiting period you have to have before you can be covered. A year I think. There are websites with that info. I would hope she finds someone soon because I've heard of to many on this site that were unable to have kids due to endo. Has she been on birth control pills to try and stop the growth of endo? My dr. had me on them for quite awhile to try and prevent it from coming back. Good luck.
Unread 03-03-2002, 07:12 PM
Too young for endo??

My daughter is 15- periods started at 12. After the first two, the pain really took over...she took Tylenol, Motrin, more and more cramps, took Motrin a week before... but she was in agony every month.
Finally a year and a half later- she was able to see a gyn nurse practioner! My girl had passed out at school from the pain and the school was alarmed.
She (the care provider) spent a lot of time talking with my daughter- explained causes and endo was definately a possibilty. Treatment was BC pills and it took several attempts to get just the right ones. And she skips the "blank week" of tablets and goes right into the next pill pack.
I'm not a doctor, but this is what we were told. God help all the teenagers in pain who are told "this is life" or "you are overreacting". Women of all ages deserve appropriate diagnosis of their pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2002, 12:52 PM
Too young for endo??

I too began having long and heavy periods when I was still a teen. Once, my parents took me to the ER because I was having sharp stabbing pain and they thought it was my appendix. It wasn't and the dr's sent me home and told my parents it was just 'normal' pain for an adolescent girl. I then began having a weeks where I was in pain, my stomach was so swollen and tender, I couldn't wear anything but lose sweatpants! This went on until I finally found a dr willing to give my symptoms a name - endometriosis - a laporoscopy confirmed.

A few years later I'm now dealing with fibroids and endo again. Because of the amount of endo and fibroids, I could never get pregnant. I don't know if things would have been different if I had been properly diagnosed when I was in my teens, but I can't help but think it may have made a difference.

By all means, encourage your stepdaughter to get the proper medical care. I'm not sure what her options are about health insurance or financial assistance, but this delay could affect her entire life.
Unread 03-04-2002, 05:00 PM
Too young for endo??

I too was diagnosed with Endo at a young age. At 15 to be exact. I was put on Birth Control pills and it pretty well controlled it for many years. Had my babies at 27 and 30 and now at 41 am facing the hyster for mostly fibroids.

That being said I have been on BC for all those years since 15 except when I was trying to get pregnant or pregnant or nursing. I hope there is no long term effects but it was much better than the alternative heavy and painful periods.

There is hope. And every year they improve the medications. But for everyone the infertility does not happen.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register