1 Week Before Surgery | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 Week Before Surgery 1 Week Before Surgery

Unread 03-03-2002, 09:10 AM
1 Week Before Surgery

I am having my pre-op appointment tomorrow and will get to meet the 2nd surgeon that will be in on my surgery on March 12th. I hope they give me answers to all of my questions and concerns. I think I will write them down this afternoon so I don't forget any. Still concerned what to take to hospital. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thank you!

:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 09:47 AM
1 Week Before Surgery

I think a list is a great idea. It's easy to get to those appointments and forget some of the questions you wanted to ask. There is a list of questions here that might help: http://www.hystersisters.com/questions.php

As far as what to take, there's another link with a list too. I personally, found that my brain wasn't alert enough to worry with any kind of crafts, books, etc. I packed light and was glad I did. I did take my own pretty pj's for putting on after the catheter and IV were removed, robe & slippers for walking in the halls, toothbrush & toothpaste, shampoo & conditioner, hair dryer, and lotion & chapstick (the anesthesia & pain meds are terrible at drying you out). My dh did bring, at my request, a small cooler of Diet Cokes. I know, I know...carbonation is not good for gas, but I'm an addict to it. A friend gave me a sucker and that helped with the dry mouth. Be careful not to suck on something without a stick in case you fall asleep with it. You don't want to fall asleep with something in your mouth and choke. I dozed off with the sucker in my mouth and woke up to find it laying on my chest...good thing it had a stick to weigh it down that direction. One thing I wish I did bring were my own pantyliners or mini pads. Those things they gave me were mattresses!!!

Good luck with everything!

Oh, here's the link to that list in case you wanna look at it:
http://www.hystersisters.com/list.php
Unread 03-03-2002, 11:26 AM
1 Week Before Surgery

A list is a very good idea. There is so much in your mind going on that something may get forgotten. I have the same surgery date, March 12th. My pre-op appt. is on March 8th. I too am writing a list so I can remember questions to ask.
I found the list on the link very helpful ( the one about ?'s as well as the one on what to pack) I am a light packer by nature. But I did not want to leave out anything that would be helpful to me. I am having my hair done, in hopes that it will try to behave itself while at the hospital , bringing lots of bottled water, my own supply of pantiliners and pads, cotton panties(same size as always, but briefs w/hi-cut legs) the brief style goes above were the incision line should be, and a few of the ideas I got from the list.
I hope all your questions are answered and your pre-op appt. goes well.

Bridgette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 12:52 PM
1 Week Before Surgery

Hi Ladies,
I traveled light to the castle and never regretted it. Chapstick and lotion are nice to have; toothbrush/paste; makeup for trip home. You can use two hospital gowns (1 as a nighty and 1 as a robe). It's hard eating in bed and if you spill they will just get you another.

I wore a loose dress/slip to hospital and it was comfy to wear home. Brought my own tummy pillow (good thing, they didn't have any).

Did some reading (paperback), but didn't really have the concentation for puzzles, etc.

Take important phone numbers you might want.
Janet
Unread 03-03-2002, 04:30 PM
Calling Card

I left my wallet and all credit cards etc., at home as instructed by the hospital.
I could NOT make any phone calls (outside of a 10 mile radius) without a calling card which I did not have with me.
I did not use alot of the other stuff I brought. A few toiletries, make-up and chapstick were used. And I did wear my Hyster Sister cover-up after a few days. I was in 6 which I was glad of.
Slippers for your walks and socks to keep your toes warm.
Best Wishes for a Smooth Surgery and Speedy Recovery.

Shelley

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register