1st time surgery? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1st time surgery? 1st time surgery?

Unread 03-03-2002, 01:35 PM
1st time surgery?

just a note for any ladies in waiting who haven't been through anesthesia yet:

I'm 31 yrs old, having LAVH on 3-7-2. Had laproscope when I was 22, and just want to share the most horrifying moment with you for your own. All went well with my 1st surgery, but nobody told me how the breathing tube would feel when I woke up. When you wake up with a tube in you, you feel as though you are suffocating because it is breathing for you. You will try to breathe and feel that you can't. They will come and take it out for you and you will breathe on your own. I'm only telling you guys this, because this time, I am prepared to have that happen when I wake up, so it doesn't scare me. Just want you to try to be prepared for that sensation so it doesn't scare your castle robe off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 02:09 PM
1st time surgery?

I know that you mean well and are trying to prepare others for what you think they will experience, but I have to say in love that what you experienced is not what many of us that have had surgery have experienced. I have had surgery three different times and have never had happened what you described. However, I am so sorry that you had such a horrifying experience and I believe that it was that for you. I do have to say though that reading your story also horrified me instead of preparing me for such a thing. I'm sure you didn't mean for it to have that effect. You said that "when you wake up..."as if this would be true for everyone. Maybe you were just trying to tell us your own experience, but it didn't come out like that. Anyway, I do wish you the best this surgery and I will say a prayer that you won't have this experience again. It sounds to me like they allowed you to wake up before you were supposed to. The anesthesia tube should be out when you realize you are awake. I hope you will share this with your doctor and anesthesiologist so they won't do this to you again. Best wishes
Unread 03-03-2002, 02:16 PM
1st time surgery?

Candip, my dr told me I'd have a breathing tube but that it would be out by the time I woke up. That is how it went - I don't remember any tube. I think Jerianne's suggestion regarding talking with dr & anesthesiologist abut this sounds very good. Some discomfort is to be expected. Horror is not!

I hope your 3/7 LAVH goes surprisingly well for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 02:45 PM
thanks guys

I will talk to them about that at my pre-op on Wednesday. I had accepted this as the norm

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register