Activity chart? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Activity chart? Activity chart?

Unread 03-03-2002, 03:09 PM
Activity chart?

I will have my TVH-BSO, bladder/rectum repair 3/11/02. I live in a house full of men(well, grown boys, anyway) and feel like I need a
list of activities I can and can't do at various stages of recovery. It's not like I can show them my stitches, you know?????

Is there an actual weight limit, etc. list out there somewhere? I have seen bits and pieces and especially like the one about flipping light switches and turning on the dishwasher; however the guys need a clear cut outline of what I can do. Thanks for any help ladies. Wishing for a Rocky Mountain High-Mikie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 04:22 PM
Guys do need it spelled out sometimes

I got written instructions from my doctor when I was discharged on what you can and cannot do.
Basically, don't lift anything you can't easily pick-up with one hand.
No heavy housework, no returning to your job, no driving, no sex etc.
It said I could go out to eat or to movies and prepare a light meal, ie like a sandwich for me. Don't think that meant a full course meal for a houseful of men. It really is an opportunity to let yourself be pampered and to teach them a bit about nurturing.
Believe me I had to have a serious discussion with my son who is 31. He was planning on going to Las Vegas the weekend of my surgery. He also had to ASK if they were keeping me overnight at the hospital. They just don't get it sometimes.
The best advice will come from yourself. Listen to your body and only do what you think you can. And then very slowly. You will tire more quickly for awhile. For each of us the discomfort and recovery is different. Honor yourself. This is your time to be taken care of.
Let us know how you do.

Shelley
Unread 03-03-2002, 05:07 PM
Activity chart?

Hey Mikie,

I'm a little different than you -- I was a TAH/BSO. I would agree to get a list of things the doc wants restricted but you might also come up with a list ahead of time. It could be strategic to get the testosterone bunch together at the table and say: Ok, here's what I do around here (then list everything); then ask the guys if you've left anything out. Tell them you'll be asking the doc which of those things you're allowed to do and then ask them to start thinking about how they're going to divvy them up!

I did ask the doc specifics. I couldn't lift anything that weighed more than a gallon of milk for 6 weeks. The first week forget doing anything! (Of course I say that and there are sisters who skated out of the hospital and never looked back). If you want to err on the side of caution, I'd get myself something to drink while passing through the kitchen and after a few days home I was fixing my own lunch - that means opening a can of soup! I'm still not doing the grocery shopping and tomorrow will be 7 weeks. I'll stop and pick up a quart of milk and lettuce and stuff like that but DH does the rest. You have a lot of time to spend in bed writing out exactly the brands you want/the quantities and sizes! Laundry is now a guy thing.

This is probably the only time in a long time or in a long time to come that you have for you. The quicker you get yourself better the quicker the boys get you back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 06:42 PM
post hyster and the do's & don'ts

Hello there Mikie

This is a crude but fairly accurate post up instrustion i got from the castle...

DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!
first week home (Be a patient as if last day in the castle. Eat light, nothing to spicy that will create added gas. Stay off any stairs as much as possible.Slowly take one step at a time landing both feet on each stair if you can not avoid them. Take short walks as tolorated in your house. The Stairs aply for the first 3 weeks. Nothing in the vagina until Dr releases you.

second week (much the same. Increese walking no sitting for long periods. no lifting over 10 lbs. Get lots of rest. Keep feet up when you are sitting.

Third week ( start slowly at light house work. (STILL no lifting over 10 lbs. Make sure to rest and put your feet up. May drive a car keep the drives short.

Forth week (Increase normal activities slowly and do not over do it. Still no heavy lifting. Listen to your body. If its telling you to rest, please do so.

up until your 6 week check-up stick to week 4 until yout Dr give you the green lights.

This is a rough draft. Not a perfect copy. But my own personal pillow police drilled these into my head LOL

Take care of yourself. Be a pampered princess. You have this one chance to heal right.

keep us updated on how you are. Please come to the HS chatroom. So much support there and lots of fun to

Michele
Unread 03-03-2002, 06:48 PM
Thanks!

We just told the guys this weekend--giving them a one week warning. When my DH started the conversation on a serious note
about female problems, I just couldn't stand it and told them they were having a little sister!!!!!!!!!

Of course these are the guys who were grossed out when I wanted to get my honey silk boxers for Christmas!!!!

Anyway, I suppose other people will eventually find out I had surgery much, much later, when it is all over. I just got my family out of here after having my Mom here for a month for cancer surgery. She did great but I don't want my 6 brothers and sisters back here again for a long, long time.

I am almost done with my preop shopping. Got my eye mask and satin pillowcases today. Will get nurse candy later. After finding out that my chronic back pain might be related to this other stuff I am PSYCHED and ready to go. I live on Ibuprofen usually. They gave me some Ultracet this weekend because the back pain was keeping me awake. Wow. I was stoned. What a light-weight, huh?

Will solidify my activity list at my preop app't in the AM. Work is really annoying now---trouble concentrating and all. BUT-I am finally done freaking out, now merely anxious. Thanks for all.
Unread 03-03-2002, 07:03 PM
Activity chart?

Here is a helpful list of FAQs that you can share with your family.

Hysterectomy FAQ for Family and Friends

You may want to have your husband attend your pre-op appt with the doctor, so he can hear it firsthand!

Karen
Unread 03-04-2002, 03:31 AM
Activity chart?

Mikie,
We truly are Hystersisters and Hysterneighbors!
I'm also in Fort Collins, and my surgery is scheduled for 03/12, the day after yours, so we'll be at the hospital at the same time!

I also live with 2 guys; hubby and 13-year-old son. I'm not too worried about them -- they are great about taking care of household stuff. My 18-year-old daughter is going to California for Spring Break but will return later in the day of my surgery, and she'll be available to help too.

Take care and keep in touch!
---Barb
Unread 03-04-2002, 04:24 AM
Activity chart?

I had this surgery and want to add a few more things. No lifting of 4 legged critters either. My big cat went to hock a hairball and I ran and moved him. Well, that cat is about 14 LBS. not a good move. Also sitting is an activity. You put less pressure on stitches by lying down on your side on sofa or "propping yourself up on it" like sitting to the side. As the area heals the stitches pull. I had more problems pain wise with this part of the surgery than the hyst. itself. As far as the computer goes watch your time in the chair. I took my sofa cushions off and made a Chinese style seat in front of computer-- much better! Also I got really bored at 3 weeks and decided to go to the mall. Took a pain pill and not only went with family to 1 mall but 2 malls. Well that 3 or 4 hour shopping trip did me in! Big mistake! I researched the hyst. but not the repair work and I really did myself a disservice. They do an episiotomy with the repair work and it is not at all like the one with childbirth. Make sure you get directions for a sitz bath or a Peri-wash bottle or something. I had a very liberal doctor who allowed baths not just allowed but encouraged. I would shower in one bathroom and go to a clean tub of fresh very warm water. Felt so good but get explicit directions from your MD if this is allowed for you. Each patient and doctor is different. I was encouraged to do this twice a day for 10 minutes. I relished that time. You may want to also see if there is a numbing spray or creme he can give you for that area. There use to be a Corticane creme that was in a container like hair mousse comes in. Good Luck and if you have any more questions about repairs please feel free to post or Email me. There is also a chat room you can visit here and you can get support in that area too! Good Luck!
Unread 03-04-2002, 04:34 AM
Activity chart?

Hi Mikie,

Good for you for trying to be prepared! The others have given some very sound advice, and I thought I would add my own suggestions.

Right here at HysterSisters, there is a wonderful list called "How To Care for the Punctured Princess". You can get to it by using the drop down menu at the top right of the page and choosing the HS Home Page; scrolling down the Ladies In Waiting section and then choosing "How Others Can Help" from that drop down menu. I'm inserting the link here, hopefully it will take you right there: http://www.hystersisters.com/care.php

I printed this list and had it hanging on the fridge from about one week pre-op and througout my recovery. The list is accurate, but importantly to me and my family it contained some humor, which helped all of us!

Best wishes and s

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register