good stool softener? - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

good stool softener? good stool softener?

Unread 03-03-2002, 07:41 PM
good stool softener?

My doc recommended Senekot(a natural laxative) so I bought it over the counter. I have had a sluggish colon all my life and already had been eating a bran cereal and prunes for years. So I had to have a little extra "push" to get moving. I took Senekot twice a day for 2 weeks and then switched to Citracel(a natural fiber laxative). I continued to take Senekot once a day and Citracel once a day for another 2 weeks or so. Finally, I got to the point I could just eat my bran cereal and about 6-7 prunes for breakfast and take Citracel at night. Also I drank lots of water, juice and ate oranges and apples as dessert. Now I am not having to take any Citracel(well, only occasionally) after 12 weeks. Wheeew! I thought I would be on laxatives the rest of my live. But most ladies don't have the sluggish colon all the time as I do and only need a stool softner. I wouldn't take a laxative unless Dr. recommended. But the prunes are good for almost anybody to have on hand as a natural "mover" and are good for you in other ways also. Gee, I sure wish they had given me Gas-X in the hospital. They only gave me something like Tums and they did not get rid of the gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 08:28 PM
My nurse recommended Colace

Fortunately, my mom had some on hand went I blocked up. She also had the Peri-colace that her doc recomended when she was constipated from chemotherapy. But it has a laxative as well and I remember being told not to take a laxative without your dr's approval.

The Colace did do the trick. I waited too long, though. I had to really push (like giving birth). I suggest starting as soon as you get home. Follow the directions.

Good luck.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register