Fear of Cancer | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fear of Cancer Fear of Cancer

Unread 03-03-2002, 05:35 PM
Fear of Cancer

Hi,

I am seriously afraid of cancer. My fibroids (tumors) grew extremely fast to grapefruit size. They couldn't get a good sample for it, but what little they did get was "O.K." per DR. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. I wrote on Friday, but haven't had any responses. I hope I am doing this correctly. Responses to my first message were so helpful... Thank you so much to LissaLee, Kelkie, Gee, Nela and Washusett.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 05:40 PM
Fear of Cancer

I'm sorry you didn't get a response! Sometimes this board moves so fast, posts drop down very quickly.

I had many fibroids...had them since my 20's. From everything I've learned and read, fibroids are very rarely cancerous. Unless your doctor has given you reason to suspect that cancer is in your diagnosis, I don't think you should be really worried about it. (easy to say, right? )

Talk to your doctor about your fears; s/he will be the one who knows the most about your condition. But fast growth of fibroids isn't unusual. Hormone fluctuations have a lot to do with growth, so they seem to grow faster at perimenopause.

Keep reading, keep posting, and talk to your doctor. Fears are normal and to be expected, but from what you've said, your fibroids are just being fibroids!!

Hang in there...we'll help you get through this!!!

Karen
Unread 03-03-2002, 06:19 PM
Fear of Cancer

Hello Karen,

Please don't worry. I have the same fears as you do. There are fortunately wonderful treatments for cancer. Fibroids can be huge, without the risk of cancer whatsoever.

Cancer, is a silent killer. Unfortunately by the time you have symptoms, cancer has already gotten to the advanced stages.

When is your surgery?

I'm having a TVH tomorrow, eek!!!

Please write back and God Bless

Tracy K

:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 07:00 PM
Fear of Cancer

Hi Karen L & Tracy K,

Thank you for your quick responses. I sure appreciate all of you. Karen, my biggest concern is because of my history and my family history. I have breast cancer and am on Tamoxifen, which causes uterine cancer. I have had fibroids, etc. since a young girl. Also, Mom had uterine and lung cancer diagnosed, and probably breast cancer. She died at age 50. Two sisters with breast cancer, one deceased and the other had hysterectomy at age 35 for uterine cancer. Soooo, I'm afraid because of that mostly, although the DR seems a bit concerned as well. I am usually a bit more positive than this, but today I am a little hormonal I guess. Thanks so much for the reassurances about fibroids, Karen. It is so wonderful to know that I now have friends just a keystroke away. I guess you know from experience just how much this means to us.

Tracy, thanks for your words of encouragement too. I am waiting for my Dr to call me back with a surgery date. I hopefully will know by Tuesday. I go see him then. Been to the gyn several times. God Bless You on your surgery tomorrow!!!!!! What a sweetheart to think of others when you are facing your time so soon. 's and er's for you!!! Thanks so much.

I will keep both of your words in mind. Thanks!!!!!
Unread 03-03-2002, 07:12 PM
Hi Sharina

I usually look for posts regarding cancer fears, I'm sorry that I didn't see yours.

Sorry to read that you are in treatment for breast cancer. That is scary enough! If your dr was worried about uterine cancer I would bet he would have done a uterine biopsy. They are an in office procedure and are completed in just a few minutes.

I have heard of fibroids being as big as cantaloupe so I am not too surprised to read that you have large ones, even if they grew in a short time frame.

Tamoxifin is a drug that they use to treat ovarian cancer so I would be surprised if you had a problem in that area and the tumors were growing at an alarming rate.

I'm not a doctor, and if I were you I'd be having a good heart to heart about your anxieties with him/her.

I would like to tell you that the cancer concerns forum is a good place to post your cancer questions as well.

Take Care and I hope you find peace as you wait - RobinS
Unread 03-03-2002, 07:33 PM
(((Sharina)))

Hey Sharina,
I know that you very worried and concerned about all of this but just wanted you to know that this site is full of information and personal experience. Also the ladies here can help point you in the right direction for information to help ease some of your fears. I had fibroids too, and when I hit that perimenopause phase they grew quickly.
I understand how you feel about your family history, and your own history. There's alot of cancer in my family also,and I have my own cancer history and present non-female cancer, so I do understand.
Just wanted you to know that you're in my prayers Sharina, I'll be thinking about on Tuesday. Please let us know what the Dr. says, ok?
BIG 's
In Christ,
Unread 03-03-2002, 07:36 PM
Fear of Cancer

Sharina -- s

How scary. I don't know what to tell you except there's a lot of love on this board, and just knowing that helps calm me when I fret. I hope it helps you too. You don't know yet what's going on, and not knowing is the pits. Not knowing breeds all kinds of nightmare fantasies about everything that could be wrong. I hope you get to talk to your doc soon, and I hope that everything turns out all right for you.

Hang in there.

Melissa
Unread 03-03-2002, 08:51 PM
Fear of Cancer

Hi Sharon, I would like to invite you to post on CANCER CONCERNS there are quite a few ladies there who have had dealings with uterine/ovarian or endometrial cancers. (mine was cervical) Any unexplained growth or lump is always so worrying until it is diagnosed. The fears you are having are so perfectly normal. Make a list of your worries and try to discuss these with your Dr. Please remember we are all here for you at anytime you need us.
Unread 03-04-2002, 02:07 AM
Fear of Cancer

Just to let you know that I've had breast cancer and am on Tamoxifen, which can affect the womb lining. I've had problems with extremely large uterine polyps (caused by the Tamoxifen) plus a large, fast growing fibroid which finally resulted in a TVH. I can certainly sympathise with your concerns, but fibroids can be fast growing and very rarely turn cancerous.

Bleeding between periods is the main symptom of problems with the uterine lining. If you are experiencing this it may well be worth asking your DR to take another sample to confirm everything's OK. I had several samples taken (all negative) but as you say, they only take a small sample so you never know if the other 99% is OK too.

Although I hated the idea of a hyster and it took some coming to terms with, it was one of the best things I've done. I no longer have to worry about endometrial cancer and I can carry on taking the Tamoxifen without the fear I had before.

Please feel free to e-mail me if you would like any more info.

Ann P

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register