Crazy to get a puppy 2 months before TAH/BSO? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Crazy to get a puppy 2 months before TAH/BSO? Crazy to get a puppy 2 months before TAH/BSO?

Unread 03-03-2002, 05:36 PM
Crazy to get a puppy 2 months before TAH/BSO?

Hello fellow sisters (I LOVE coming here everyday, by the way!)
My husband and I are supposed to be getting a new puppy in April - unfortunately I am having my surgery (tentatively) in the early Summer. This IS nuts isnt it? I've been going back and forth with it. I think my justification for why it would be ok is that it would keep me walking around and maybe its a little of the "I CAN do anything" feeling. New puppies are lots of work - this is true - I'm just looking for any of your experiences. I often wonder how new mothers who have had C sections can handle even holding their babies.........

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 05:46 PM

Puppies are the best! Sounds like a fun project.

However, puppies are kind of unpredictable as to how they' ll do with housebreaking... makes it hard to schedule when they'll be done with it! As long as someone else will be available to pick up the newspapers, it might be OK.

I don't think you'd want to be on your own with a little pup, but as long as you'll have help and other people will be around to do the cleanup (remember...no bending, stretching, lifting, pushing, pulling...for 6 to 8 weeks at least) you may be fine.

Unless, of course, your new pup will be a Newfie or a Mastiff or something huge like that...

Like everything else, plan ahead and get help if you can! Good luck with the pup!!!!!

Karen
Unread 03-03-2002, 05:47 PM

Do you have a fenced in yard or will you have to "walk" the puppy? What kind of dog is it? How old will it be when you have your surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 05:48 PM
puppy

Why not? Will dh help with the puppy while you're at the castle? Will dh care for the by-that-time four-month-old puppy while you're recovering the first week post op? Are you getting a big dog or a little dog? You won't want the puppy jumping in your lap or pouncing up against you while you're still sore from surgery. I have cats and dogs. The only inconvenience being that I had to have someone come feed them while I was at the castle then at my sister's for a week post-op. Otherwise, all was fine. Although my cats are evil. They like to catch me unsuspecting and pounce into my lap when they find me horizontal. So I had to be on alert for a couple weeks once I got home. Spring is a great time to start with a puppy. Might actually give you something to occupy yourself with while you're passing the days until surgery. It also doesn't hurt to have something warm and fuzzy to hug post-op either!
Unread 03-03-2002, 05:50 PM

You most likely will not feel like babysitting a puppy before you are at least 6 weeks post op. It could be a very frustrating situation.

Knowing how much bending, chasing etc. is involved with a puppy, I think your timing is not too good. Can the puppy somehow be postponed until you are 6-8 weeks post-op? Longer in case of unforseen complications? That would be best in my opinion.
Unread 03-03-2002, 06:15 PM

I don't want to br negative but I'm 2 years post op and we adopted an adult dog ( English Setter) from the animal shelter.
He is a good dog, house trained and we have a huge fenced yard and he still is alot of work and requires a lot of attention, friends of ours have a 6 month old lab puppy they got as a baby, they are healthy and he is a sweet pup but is running them wild.
I say don't do it, yet. wait until you are recovered, having a puppy is like having a baby to take care of. Wait until you are recovered. My opinion
Unread 03-03-2002, 07:25 PM
Puppy

I am 3 weeks post op and have five dogs and a cat... one of them is a foster dog (I am a rescue person) and my advice to everyone, not just Ladies in Waiting - is get an adult dog not a puppy. I have been too humbled by puppies. I was concerned about the dogs and the cat as they all want to be in bed with me, but there has really been no problem. We have one that is brain damaged and she is crated is a lot and requires frequent paper changes etc... so it's almost like having a puppy in the house. My husband was really good while I was in the hospital and for a few days after I was home, but the most likely scenario is that all of the real puppy work will be left up to you. The time off will give you time to bond and work with the dog, but I would seriously consider an older cool dog - they are much less work. By day three at home, he was telling me that it was my turn to feed the dogs. Fortunately, that is THE only food prep type work I do anyway. I did keep a pillow on my belly while in bed just in case one of them decided to walk across me, but it wasn't needed. They did seem to know that things weren't quite normal and just plopped themselves along side of me. Again, they aren't puppies either so they understood their commands to lie down and stay. If you are using a crate for training (recommended) you will have to change the paper and that will require you to bend over a lot... something I now respect very much since my incision split (skin layer) because I was not as obedient as the dogs.
Pat
Unread 03-04-2002, 04:55 PM

Wow - thanks for all of your replies. Its going to be an Airedale Terrier pup (I have a 6 year old Airedale now). They have LOTS of energy. I think I answered my own question by even posting. My hubby will be going to work at 2 pm every day and coming home at 11:45 pm so thats a long time for me to be alone with said pup, who will be about 4-5 months old at the time.............
Thanks for all of your input. This site is a lifesaver to me. I appreciate having all of you!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register