Mental preparation | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Mental preparation Mental preparation

Unread 03-03-2002, 06:22 PM
Mental preparation

Hi, this is my first post. My TAH/BSO is scheduled for April 8. I've been wondering how others have prepared themselves mentally for upcoming surgery. I'm one of those people who claims to be more spiritual than religious and although I'm a Christian, I am interested in many other religious practices. Any thoughts on music, aromatherapy, books, meditation, etc.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 07:15 PM
Mental preparation

Hi and welcome! I'm so glad you found us.

It's hard to say how I prepared. Mostly, I spent time on this site! I was sneaking on at work, at night, in the morning...I found it to be extremely comforting to be with people who really understood.

Whatever helps you cope is a good idea. Doing what you love, being with those you care about...and getting your home ready for a nice peaceful recovery; all those things are helpful. I found that focusing PAST the surgery helped me when I started feeling worried and scared...thinking of things I wanted to do afterward. And visualizing a healthier life, a healthier body...that was comforting, too.

Keep reading and posting, and you will learn SO much. We'll all be here to help!!

Karen
Unread 03-04-2002, 06:57 AM
Mental preparation

hi. and welcome to the site! i also wanted to prepare mentally as well; and am also a christian. preop was such an emotional time for me; as i was on lupron for a couple months preop and quite emotional. first i had to come to terms with the idea of accepting help. i'd always been the caretaker, on top of everything type of person. and i had to accept that for a little while at least, that i couldn't do it all. and like most women, i am so geared to take care of others, but i don't always take care of myself as well as i should. so, i started taking better care of me for the first time in a long time. i also picked out some of my favorite music to listen to whenever i got emotional, and especially when i went into surgery. the doc let me take my music into surgery, and let it play during the operation. as i went under the anesthetic, i was listening to my favorite christian song called 'Shout'-- very uplifting. good luck on your upcoming surgery, for me, was the best thing i've done in a long time. eva

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register