a bit indelicate , but important...stool softner with or without laxative | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

a bit indelicate , but important...stool softner with or without laxative a bit indelicate , but important...stool softner with or without laxative

Unread 03-03-2002, 06:41 PM
a bit indelicate , but important...stool softner with or without laxative

just wondering, because of course when I went to buy the stuff (it was on sale this past week at CVS), they only had the type with laxative added --should I try to exchange it for the plain...I have 2 days to do this in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 06:48 PM

Lynda, Have you checked with your doctor to see which he/she might suggest. I think that might be your best bet, as they all seem to have their preferences. Mine suggested no laxitive, as it tends to be more harsh. I did fine with just the stool softener, and some good natural eating. Lots of fruits, fiber and water.
Unread 03-03-2002, 08:38 PM
Stool Softener

My nurse suggested Colace. I heard that the strong pain meds can cause constipation. Since I wasn't given any (just told to take Advil or Tylenol), I thought I wouldn't need it - - WRONG!

During anesthesia, your body shuts down - that includes your bowels. So you have to get them started again. Surgery was Wednesday; home on Friday; totally blocked on Saturday! I hardly ate anything (was nauseous all day Thursday; couldn't even take fluids)! Fortunately, my mom had some Colace on hand. She also had Peri-Colace which contains a laxative as well. But I remembered hearing that you should not take a laxative unless you check with your doctor.

I suggest starting the stool softener of your choice as soon as you come home. I should have! The worst that could happen is diarrhea - and that's better than constipation. And post-surgically, I think both cause a lot of cramping with some discomfort and pain. But remember, THIS TOO SHALL "PASS"!

(I posted a similar reply to another post about stool softeners!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2002, 07:53 AM

Consult with the dr. That said, I used regular Colace. Drinking plenty of fluids and, walking about will help with regularity. And when regular food was back for me, I added 6 prunes to that , I had salad, carrots, lots of fiber. I drank cranberry juice, too. Apple juice tends to constipate. That worked fine for me.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register