filling prescriptions for controlled drugs...on the way home from the castle? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

filling prescriptions for controlled drugs...on the way home from the castle? filling prescriptions for controlled drugs...on the way home from the castle?

Unread 03-03-2002, 06:46 PM
filling prescriptions for controlled drugs...on the way home from the castle?

do you have to personally pick up your pain medication on the way home, if you get something that is a controlled drug? and who does the prescribing - the surgeon or anestesialogist (sp)- can't imagine getting in and out of a car and waiting for meds on the way home...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 06:52 PM

I will be fortunate enough to get my pain meds BEFORE surgery (3 days prior). My doc inputs the info into the castles computer and 30 minutes later I make a trip to the hospitals outpatient pharmacy and pick them up. Pre-op and pharmacy and surgery room are all in the same building.
Unread 03-03-2002, 07:01 PM

My doctor gave me a prescription a week ahead of my surgery at my pre-op appointment. And no, you don't have to pick it up yourself. I had my husband get mine for me. And when my mom had had her surgery I had picked hers up for her and we had different last names, had no problems. Geeze, sure hate correcting myself on the have/had different last names, my mom passed away last year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 07:30 PM
LisaJean... OT

This is off topic, but just read your reply to ljblank. I am sorry to hear of your moms passing. Mine passed on at the age of 51 (in 2000) very suddenly in her sleep of a massive heartattack. I can relate to you. The has'had is hard to get use to. Keep your chin up!
Unread 03-03-2002, 09:44 PM

Hi Lynda, my gave me the prescriptions as she was discharging me from the castle, and BF took me straight home...I handed my prescriptions to my mom and she went and had them filled, no problem at all. You're probably not going to feel like stopping at a pharmacy so try to arrange for someone to go pick them up for you if you can't get them ahead of time (my wanted to see what kind of pain I had post surgery before deciding what to prescribe, guess they're all different).
Good luck, you're going to be fine!!!
s,
- Linda
Unread 03-04-2002, 04:17 AM

Hey Ladies....
Unlike you folks, my dr. gave me my script for pain meds right before discharging me, however, i had no immediate family members i could get to go the fill it. it wasn't bad going to the pharmacy from the hospital....used a cart as support when walking, was able to also pick up a couple of things i had decided i needed. i sat the remainder of the time waiting... sometimes, the things that seem scariest, aren't as bad as we think
Unread 03-04-2002, 04:29 AM

It is convenient in the larger hospitals that have outpatient pharmacy access to get scripts filled there. However, I was in a small hospital so my scripts had to be filled at an outside pharmacy. If your DH or someone else cannot get them for you upon dismissal, usually the hospitals can give you a few pills to take home with you (especially if you are discharged at night) til you can get the script filled. Also you can ask your doc to phone the scripts in so they would be ready for quick pick up when you are dismissed. The nurses on the post op surgical floor can help you with options if you ask them. Everyone wants you to be pain free, so don't be shy about asking! Good luck!

Unread 03-04-2002, 05:21 AM

I was given my scripts for Vicodin and Climera patch at hospital discharge, I asked them to phone it into my pharmacy which is on my way home, we stopped and DH ran in and picked it up. I could have gone in and got it myself if I would have had too, but you'll
need someone to drive you home anyway if you live alone, so you could have them phone it in and ask the person driving you home to stop and run it and get it and the drugstore will have it already.
Unread 03-04-2002, 09:53 AM
I have mine already

My doc gave me the rx at my pre-op last week and I already have them filled...ready for me when I get home. That is a relief!
Unread 03-04-2002, 02:41 PM
Had to WAIT!!!

I got my scripts when left castle. DH went to Pharmacy on way home, but there was an hour and a half wait, on a Saturday, even!!! I stood outside my father in laws car (with him having heart failure every time I moved), :smokin: , while DH was in the store. I really had no trouble getting in or out of the car. As far as the pharmacy not letting anyone else pick up controlled substances, I have a list of family members at the pharmacy who are allowed to get medicines for me.
Good luck. I won't be that bad after all the waiting, I promise!!
Kelkie(Kelly)

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register