Sleep Deprived! ARGH!!!! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sleep Deprived! ARGH!!!! Sleep Deprived! ARGH!!!!

Unread 03-03-2002, 07:09 PM
Sleep Deprived! ARGH!!!!

Well.. Im a sleepless wreck! For some odd reason last night, I started really thinking about my surgery (which isn't until 4-23) and ended up staying awake till after 3 this morning. I had taken 2 Tylenol PM's around 2 a.m. when I discovered I had better get some beauty rest. Well, once I FINALLY fell asleep and had only been asleep a few hours, my youngest wee one (4) came in tossin her cookies all over..... trying to get out of bed and focus was so hard. Even now as I type this I am wondering why I am NOT in bed yet! It's almost 9:30 p.m. here. I am not tired, believe it or not, but know my body needs rest.

Ok, enough rambling for me. Question: Is it odd to have this kind of nervousness this far in advance? I wasn't expecting this sort of thing to hit me till a couple days prior to surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 07:20 PM
Sleep Deprived! ARGH!!!!

Nerves have been hitting me on and off since I decided to have the surgery back in mid-February, a month before the surgery date. I'm absent-minded. It's harder to get to sleep, and I wake up early in the morning and can't get back to sleep -- and believe me, I am not a morning person!

I think it's natural for nerves to start hitting as soon as you make the decision, and then to kinda come and go. I haven't had my surgery yet, but I keep going through waves of calm, emotion, nerves, terror, excitement, acceptance, and just plain fatigue.

Good luck with the wait. Maybe some breathing exercises or meditation or yoga or something? That stuff works for me when I'm stressed. Well, it works a little.

FWIW, naps have been my salvation.

Melissa
Unread 03-03-2002, 07:40 PM
sleep deprived

Same here! My surgery is in 2 days, and I am still not able to sleep...even with tylanol PM! Any ideas would be great! I wish both LisaLee and Amy S the best of luck and well wishes. From one nervous and very tired sister to another.

Deborah Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2002, 10:31 PM
Sleep Deprived! ARGH!!!!

Deborah, here are some things that help me:

1. The 11:00 rule. After 11:00 p.m., I am not allowed to think or talk about hysterectomy. I must focus on other things. My husband and I came up with this trick when we were preparing for our wedding; if we didn't stop at some point in the evening, we would be up all night with jitters. Pick a time at night and train yourself not to think or talk about hysterectomy after that time. You'll goof up all the time -- I still do -- but it doesn't matter. When you catch yourself, switch your train of thought to something else. Remember -- at some point, today is done. You can't do any more till tomorrow, which won't start till after you sleep and wake up in the morning. Worrying about it doesn't help you. Let today be done, let everything else wait till tomorrow.

2. Lie on your back on the floor, your butt against a wall, your legs up the wall. Believe it or not, this is very soothing. Helps me calm down. You can put a folded blanket or firm cushion under your butt for an extra back stretch, but don't use the blanket/cushion if you have your period (according to yoga teachers, you're not supposed to elevate pelvis above heart at that time).

3. My fave one is to sit up in bed in the dark, leaning back against a wall or pillow, and breathe deeply and slowly. Each time I exhale, I think the word "release" and I try to envision all the muscles relaxing in a wave down my body, starting at the shoulders. I carry tension in my abdomen, so I focus there particularly.

4. Exercise. I walk on my treadmill when I get particularly edgy. Really helps me. I also like yoga. Slow, gentle stretching while breathing deeply helps too.

Can anyone tell I've had to learn a lot about relaxing?

If you have any fave relaxation techniques, I'm all ears! Mine work to a certain degree, but I'm always looking for more.

Good luck to both of you!! Before we know it, it will all be over and we will be pampered princesses with shiny new crowns!

Melissa
Unread 03-04-2002, 06:50 AM
Sleep Deprived! ARGH!!!!

My day is next Monday and I'm so I even went to my boss asking for some busy work to try and keep my mind busy.

Sleep what's that???? I wake up every nite after about 5 hours and can't go back to sleep. By next week I won't even need to be sedated.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Unread 03-04-2002, 07:33 AM
Sleep Deprived! ARGH!!!!

I did not have that much time between diagnosis and surgery, but I can relate.
It's very normal.

Talk to you dr. He/she may prescribe something to help you get through this. They do not want you exhausted going into surgery. My dr. gave me Ambien and it worked wonders for me.

If you are prone to be nervous, you can ask them for something in the I.V. before surgery to help you while you wait. I did not have to ask, they read the signs. After they did that I was so calm..... it was great. I'd have freaked out or fainted without it.
Unread 03-04-2002, 09:46 AM
Sleep Deprived! ARGH!!!!

The drug doc will "slip" some versed into my I.V. while in the pre-op holding area (usually 15 minutes before going into the O.R.). For now, I am just trying to stay awake during the day so I sleep at night. Last night, I took 2 Tylenol Pm's and crashed around 11 p.m. I woke this morning at 6:30 feeling alright, but I can still tell I am tired. I made the mistake of laying down on the couch to stretch my legs out (poor knees are aching from Lupron) and dozed off for about 15 minutes. My 4 year old is still somewhat sick, but feeling a tad better today. Still running 100.1-100.5 temps but no more tossin of her cookies. Anyways, trying to hang in there. Thanks for the advice sisters!

Oh yeah... I have now got a tummy bug to deal with... my oh my

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register