HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Need help to calm down! Need help to calm down!

Unread 06-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Need help to calm down!

Jesus Mary Joseph! I am so glad I found this website....I am due for sub total hysterectomy on July 7 and freaking nervous...after 4 months of painful periods and rectal pressure due to adenomyosis I decided to go ahead with subtotal hysterectomy. I can't live a life of consuming too much Ibruprofen....help! to to calm down am not sleeping well...
Unread 07-01-2013, 04:56 AM
Re: Need help to calm down!

Hello!! Oh dear yes these days are difficult! For me, these were the WORST days. I only had 1 day comparable ( day after the op was a bit rough but not pain-wise, just feeling kind of sick and dizzy). And that was the worst of it. I'm guessing Dubai has pretty good medical care and you'll be in great hands. I was less nervous once I got to the hospital and had someone telling me what to do than before.... and I'd never spent time in hospital before and am very squeamish so was pretty scared. While I can't tell you it was pleasant, I wouldn't be as scared another time. And this website is brilliant, the checkpoints on what to expect are excellent as is just knowing how many other women are out there doing the same thing! You are not alone! Good luck holding out until the big day...! And just think, in a few weeks there should b a life without painkillers.....
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:37 AM

Use the resourcing technique---think of a time when you were with someone who really loves or loved you and feel all that love, try to sense it with all your senses, what the sounds were, smells, visual, touch, location. Every time you have a worry thought, switch to this wonderful life-giving situation! It works.

I am celebrating my 10 year anniversary this week--and an so thankful that I am healthy!
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:43 PM

Do you do any yoga, meditation, calming music, warm baths, gaming, reading, anything that can calm your soul? Breathe slowly but natural in and out and envision how you will be after the surgery; pain free, no more bleeding, you choose your life instead of the pain/bleeding choosing for you, can wear whatever you want when you want (after swelly belly goes away of course, hehe). try those relaxation hypnosis vids on youtube, even. There are many ways to relax. And just KNOW that the surgery will come, it will be over before you realize it, and the moment you wake, though you'll be uncomfortable, that that WILL be the last of your pain and bleeding forever for what the surgery was needed for. That will be day one of your rebirth. <3
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanaS View Post
Use the resourcing technique---think of a time when you were with someone who really loves or loved you and feel all that love, try to sense it with all your senses, what the sounds were, smells, visual, touch, location. Every time you have a worry thought, switch to this wonderful life-giving situation! It works.

I am celebrating my 10 year anniversary this week--and an so thankful that I am healthy!
Congratulations on 10 years!!!! That is awesome!!!
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:58 PM

I was really nervous the week before my surgery. I tried to keep myself occupied and that worked during the day but nights were restless. I started taking a nice long walk with the dog after the heat died down followed by a shower or bath. It helped me a lot. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:08 PM

Hello from Canada ! First let me say that I had a SAH with an 8 inch incision on July 11th and like you, I was terrified before surgery. Terrified of the anesthetic, the pain, the after effects, everything. Everything has been going so well in the past 3 weeks that I'm kind of embarrassed at how I reacted, except I know that putting my care in the hands of others is and was, a scary thing. My surgeon told me that while it is a painful operation, it is one of the safest ones as well. however this did nothing to alleviate my fears.. what did help me through was talking to other women who had had hysterectomies and also,pre planning. I wrote lists of everything... what to take to the hospital, what I'd need post op. what I would need extra help with. I prearranged post op household help, help with meals, stocked up on groceries & comfort supplies such as lots of books, a comfy new bath robe, stretchy pants ( basically shopping therapy, to keep my mind off my worries) by having a plan it reduced some of my worry and made me feel more in control.
Tomorrow is 3 weeks since my surgery and while I am still bloaty, slow and haven't gotten my energy back completely, I feel WAY better than pre op in some ways and while recovery is slow, I am so glad I am on this side of surgery. I wish you all the best!!
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:19 PM

It is normal for you to feel nervous. Anyone is before surgery. I had a total laparoscopic hysterectomy a week ago and I feel great right now but still taking it easy. I never in my life had surgery before and this was my first so I got so scared to point I got sick. If I knew then what I know now then I would not of been scared. I didn't even know I was put to sleep. Surgery for me was not that bad. Lots and lots of women have is surgery all the time. You can do this! This is to make you better and not be in pain. Every women who has had a hysterectomy said it was the best thing that ever happened to them and so far I agree with them. I haven't had any problems so far but still have ways to go for recovery. This website was what helped me get through it. All the people here are so kind and very supportive. We have been through what others are fixing to go through and we can help support you.
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:37 PM

I am right there with you. Mine is scheduled for July 31st and I am nervous as all heck. I hope the site helps settle your nerves and you are able to rest before your surgery.
Unread 07-01-2013, 04:02 PM

Hi!
I had my surgery 4 weeks ago. The days before my op. I was scared of course, but I tried not to think a lot in the surgery and it worked to calm me down. Positive wishes and support from people around me were also important. And I have to confess that I cried a lot during one night! I needed it to do it!!! But then, I decided to stop thinking and being positive, and that is the best advise I can give you! Keep your mind busy in other things! I had a lot to do for leaving my job and also worked in preparing food and clothes for my recovery process. Those things kept me busy!!!
And after 4 weeks I can tell you that the time has gone so fast that it is incredible for me that the operation was already done!!
So: do not think much in the surgery, prepare the things you will need to be comfortable during the recovery process, be positive and make a picture of you without the terrible pain you have felt for long time!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.