HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

fibroid basketball size fibroid basketball size

Unread 03-03-2002, 10:20 PM
fibroid basketball size

I'm new here and really appreciate the information. I have had fibroids for 13 years and in the last year one has grown from a grapefruit size to a basketball size. I try to do things naturally and avoid medications, etc. I am scared and will be having a hysterectomy this month. I go next week for a sono and finalize the date, etc. Unfortunately, at the end of Sept. I had to
have my gallbladder removed when a stone got stuck and I went into pancreatitis. Until then (before age 40) I never had to have any surgeries. The hospital was really super and that is the only thing helping. Also, I am very comfortable with this doctor and that helps.
Has anyone else here had hugh fibroids like this? I know their not uncommon. What have you heard causes them. Thanks, Kathy
Unread 03-04-2002, 06:05 AM
fibroid basketball size

Kathy,

What causes fibroids is still not known. It is known that estrogen enables the fibroids to grow. There are some new studies that indicate that there is gene for fibroids (i.e. it means a tendency to inherit fibroids). Overall, fibroids are fairly common- I think about 30% for white women, and a higher percentage for black women.

I had dozens of fibroids, including several that were grapefruit size- had a TAH. All of my symptoms (bladder/bowel) are now gone. Good luck!
Unread 03-04-2002, 06:42 AM
Large fibroids

I don't know the causes of fibroids. I didn't know I had one until it grew very rapidly during August last year to a diameter of 20cm.

I consulted a doctor on 1st Sept, had an ultrasound on 3rd, saw a gynaecologist on the 6th, and had my TAH (vertical due to size of Fred the Fibroid) on 13th Sept!

So, within two weeks, I discovered what the mass was and had a TAH. I've been very fortunate with my recovery....and it's 6 months next week. I saw the fibroid....the surgeon brought it to show me....I just regret that I don't have a photo!!

I've been on an emotional roller-coaster for the last 6 months, and I think it will still take time to get used to what has been taken away.........but I know that Fred had to go....and in the safest way for me.

Best wishes as you approach surgery.
Pip.
Unread 03-04-2002, 07:31 AM
big one here too

i had one the size fo a football to start with. i was on lupron for 2-3 months before surgery to reduce the size before surgery. lupron doesn't work for everyone, so some docs choose not to use it. but for me, it worked. reduced my tumor grapefruit size; and reduced my 21 week uterous to 14 week by surgery. i'm now 5 weeks post op-- and what a difference! i'm getting back to better than normal; and for the first time it years, i'm almost pain free- still a bit sore, but no actual pain. and feeling like i'm getting my life back. this surgery has been great for me. eva
Unread 03-04-2002, 10:51 AM
fibroid basketball size

Hi!

My fibroids were so large that my gyn referred me to a gyn oncologist/pelvic surgeon because the surgery was beyond her skills. He named my fibroids "Fred and the Twins" and said they should eligible for dependent status on my tax return. <g> "Fred" was the size of a watermelon and weighed 7+ lbs. "The Twins" were about 3 lbs each, and there were several smaller ones. I woke up 17 lbs lighter after my hyst.

Before surgery, my uterus was the size of a 7 month pregnancy. After surgery and after the swelly belly went away, I dropped 4 pants sizes and had no clothing that fit me! I didn't have to buy baggy clothing to wear at home while I was recovering - everything was baggy! On my first shopping trip after surgery, I had to cinch up my old jeans with a belt to keep them from sliding off of me fully zipped. <ggg> For several years, I had to buy clothes to fit me in the waist, just like a pregnant woman. That meant that they were too big everywhere else and I spent half my time altering them. Now it's a JOY to buy clothes many sizes smaller that actually fit me properly right off the rack. I had to buy almost all new clothes after the surgery, but I'm certainly not complaining. :-)

I have a very large vertical scar from my 10 inch incision, but even that is now fading nicely to a white line. I won't be wearing any skimpy bikinis or Brittany Spears pants any time soon, but then, I'm pain free, now down a total of 25 pounds, have a brand new wardrobe, my energy level is incredibly high, have no more horrendous bleeding that never ends, my hormones are finally in balance, and I FEEL GREAT!!!! My only regret in having the hyst was that I didn't do it 5 years sooner and before my fibroids grew to such huge monsters that sucked the life out of me for so many years.

Arebella
Unread 03-04-2002, 11:50 AM
fibroid basketball size

My TAH possible BSO is scheduled for next Tuesday, March 12th. Fibroids have been my constant companions for the past 20 years. I was diagonesed when I was 25 with a small fibroid, found upon my D/C after I had a miscarriage..I have lived with them for ever. The last 3 years my one and only turned into many multiples. My uterus is now the size of 22 week pregnancy and it causes much pressure and discomfort. My blessing has been no heavy bleeding AT ALL with all my fibroids. NO one in my family, Mother or Sister seem to have had any problems with fibroids. Just me. I have no idea why me?
I hope after my surgery and healing is over, my belly will finally go down and I can tuck in a blouse again. I have been walking around with this huge belly for the past 1.5 years. It comes on kinda of gradual and one day you realize, Hey! It hurts to lay on my stomach, Hey! It hurts to bend over...so I made the decision it was time for my hyster. I am looking forward to a lighter life!!
Unread 03-04-2002, 12:20 PM
fibroid basketball size

Mine was described as volleyball size. Is that smaller or larger than a basketball? It was only one and was discovered upon exam at grapefruit size. 2 months later it was very strange looking on the ultrasound - had gotten bigger, with pockets of liquid. My ob/gyn could not tell if it was just a degenerating fibroid or a uterine sarcoma. So it was up to the oncologist. One tah/bso with vertical incision later and the thing is out of me.

Never had much by way of symptoms actually. But, I do feel a lot better without it. I am 40 and have no regrets.
Unread 03-04-2002, 03:36 PM
Re: fibroid basketball size

Quote:
Originally posted by kmarie61
I'm new here and really appreciate the information. I have had fibroids for 13 years and in the last year one has grown from a grapefruit size to a basketball size. I try to do things naturally and avoid medications, etc. I am scared and will be having a hysterectomy this month. I go next week for a sono and finalize the date, etc. Unfortunately, at the end of Sept. I had to
have my gallbladder removed when a stone got stuck and I went into pancreatitis. Until then (before age 40) I never had to have any surgeries. The hospital was really super and that is the only thing helping. Also, I am very comfortable with this doctor and that helps.
Has anyone else here had hugh fibroids like this? I know their not uncommon. What have you heard causes them. Thanks, Kathy

Kathy,
I know what you mean, casue I haven't found that out my self. My Grandmother, Mom, and sister had them. I have one now and it's growing. At last dheck in Nov. of 2001 it was at 4.0 cm. I was growing at a rate of 3 cm every 2 months. I have no idea what size it is now. I hope not to beg to take vaginally. I knew I would get one. Everytime I woiuld go to the Dr. for a check up I'd ask him if there were any in there. He'd say no. Then I started having night sweats and hot flashes and some heavy bleeding. He checked my hormones and did a physical and found a fibriod. I have had 3 ultrasounds and now I'm sceduled for a vaginal hysterectomy on March 14. Let me tell you that I am sooo ready.
I have talked to many friend who have had surgery or have a freind that has. I am ready to get on with my life without the dreaded period.
I hope you find out what you need to know. It really doesn't matter to me as long as I get it out and the uterus that holds it.
Good luck.

Bpearl

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.