when will i be ready? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

when will i be ready? when will i be ready?

Unread 03-04-2002, 05:02 AM
when will i be ready?

hi all
i had a partial hysterectomy 18th feb. all going not too badly.I amm 33 and have 3 young boys 8 5 and 3.The thing is we are meant to be having big building work done that will take approx. 12 weeks.It was meant to start end of Feb. but we have put it off,the builder is now hoping to start 8th of april.Will i be ready the house will get very dusty,lots of builders around(tea to make),children getting in their way etc etc.
So any help from you will help,i just dont know what to expect i will be about 7 weeks post-op when they hope too start!!!!
There is also no option of moving out for the period.
thanks debbiexxxxxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2002, 06:33 AM
when will i be ready?

Debbie, I'm married to a contractor, and we did nothing but major rebuilding/remodeling of our previous home for about 8 years. At 7 weeks, you'll be stronger than now, but not like before. Time for "supplemental plan B" to be able to move forward ...

You and dh need to talk to the contractor (and subs if needed), tell them you need them to do their own cleanup because your doctor won't allow you to do it, and that it's all you can do to keep the kids out of the way (which you really do have to do). Meanwhile, there will be some dust that you will be living with anyway ... while kids and dh can help with some of that, it is not the end of the world.

My 9-year old has loved vacuuming for me for over a year, and does a better job than my 14-year old (who does try his best). Also, buy some "fun" dusters with long handles and have the kids help you "reach" all that stuff. Any REALLY NEEDED cleaning that kids cannot do, dh will have to and, as for tea, make it only if you're up to it - that is a really nice touch, but not "expected."

It is worse emotionally to go through than what you'll expect it to be - the during-construction time is like the pre-op wait (hardest). Plan ahead by rearranging to temporarily live differently. When our kitchen was torn apart, we took chairs out of LR, moved couch to 3' from TV, and squeezed the kitchen table, 2 kitchen chairs, and 2 storage cubbies into living room with disposable dishes, and - with microwave on top of that table - fed the family in shifts. It's temporary, but the madness can be well run. For us, our kitchen was usable again after only 1 week, and we got through that with very little upset.

Fortunately for me, the kitchen was toward the end when I'd gotten very used to this ... I'll never forget how hard the emotional torn-up feeling was when we started and he'd cut a hole through ceiling and upstairs floor to put in new stairs. My head understood, but I freaked at the mess (it was my job to clean up). So, most important, make them clean it up - do not push a vacuum - not even a shop vac !!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register