Starting to PANIC | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Starting to PANIC Starting to PANIC

Unread 03-04-2002, 08:00 AM
Starting to PANIC

I'm having my surgery next Wednesday, the 13th, and while I've done a fabulous job of remaining in denial over the last 6 weeks, I must admit that I'm starting to panic. The butterflies in my stomach are pretty much constant, and I'm thinking that looking at actual pictures of a hysterectomy on the internet probably wasn't such a good idea, since I feel nauseous now. I am scared of pain, and terrified of anesthesia. Just need a little pep talk right about now, because I'm seriously thinking of calling the whole thing off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2002, 08:08 AM
Starting to PANIC

Hey, fellow Lady-in-Waiting!!
I too am scheduled for the 13th, and am getting a little nervous. I just had my pre-op this morning, and the whole situation is getting a little too real. However, coming to this site is the best thing you could do. Reading all the posts from the newly punctured princesses is very encouraging, and helps me to make it through another day of waiting. According to them, the waiting is the absolute worst part of the whole thing!! Just hang in there, read all the posts, and stay in touch with your fellow
hystersisters! Lots of your way!!

Kathy

TAH with possible bso 3/13/02
Unread 03-04-2002, 08:13 AM
Panic

JM295,

I can't find any info on your reason for surgery, so I can't really touch on that. But if it's scheduled, there must by a reason. I understand exactly how you feel. It's been almost 10 months since I had TVH and I was ready to run myself. Just don't dwell on it. Keep yourself busy with whatever you can. Don't worry about getting things done, because they'll work themselves out. Maybe you can find some ladies in your neighborhood/work that you can discuss the surgery with. Or you can try the chat on here. I haven't ventured there yet (not too computer smart), but I wanted to talk about having the surgery all the time.

Don't give up ship this close to shore!!

I hope this helps. Just hang in there. Things WILL be better. Write me (email) anytime. I love to share.

Take care and God bless you and yours,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2002, 08:19 AM
(((((jm)))))))

Hi there jm

Pre jitters and being nervous is very normal. The waiting that last week has got to be just awful (it was for me) To much to think about with lots of time to think.

I can only speak for myself here. The pain was not that awful. I had periods/cramps that ranked higher. The only time i felt real pain was getting in and out of bed, standing up from a sitting position etc.. This does pass after the first week or so. While laying down i felt no real pain. In the castle my pain was managed very well. And the meds i went home with were helpful as well. I might add i am a big baby when it comes to pain and i was able to deal with it pretty well. Also walking, once you get going it isn't bad at all. keep your back straight, try not to hunch over as this actually can make it worse. So head held high like a proud princess!!

I was put under entirely. I felt groggy coming out if the anesthesia but it was not to bad. I slept off and on for the first 24 hours (mostly on). I did get nauseous later in the evening after my hyster but it was not due to my anesthesia. My PCA pump loaded with demerol is what made me sick. They have awesome drugs for nausea that work asap.

Take some deep slow breaths when it starts to make you panic. Also keep yourself busy with things you enjoy. Admittedly i mostly cleaned my house like a clean freak. I can't say I enjoyed it but it kept me busy LOL

BIG to you and you will make a beautiful cowned princess

Keep us updated on how your doing Take care!

Michele
Unread 03-04-2002, 09:12 AM
Starting to PANIC

I go in in the 13th too. We'll just have to lean on each other, we 13th-sisters!

For me, the fear comes and goes in waves. I'll turn to dh and say, "Why did I want to do this again?" just a day after bad cramps. I have a short memory for pain.

This may sound weird, but one thing that is helping me right now is thinking about the hospital and staff as an extension of my home and my family. When I go somewhere that feels alien, I get scared and feel out of place. When I tell myself that everywhere I walk in the world is a part of my home, and that everyone I see is part of my family, I relax a little. My pre-op (next Monday) is partly in the hospital, so I'll get to see where I'll be, and that will help it feel more familiar too. Maybe you could schedule a visit to the hospital to check it out, get the lay of the land?

For me, the unknown is the scariest part. The more I understand (and the more I read new princesses telling us it wasn't bad at all), the braver I feel. I feel pretty prepared right now; I know what to expect. My castle bag is half-packed. I'm still nervous and not sleeping well, but I write in my journal, and that helps.

Good luck to you! s!! You *will* get through this.

Melissa
Unread 03-04-2002, 09:20 AM
Starting to PANIC

I go to the castle 2 days before you. I'm fully prepared but with each day that gets closer the more butterflies I get in my stomach.

I will be asking if they are going to put me on the PCA pump for pain and if they say yes I'm going to request 1/2 doses with the ability of twice as many button pushes. That way I won't be getting big shots of the drug at once. I'm worried about getting sick from the pain meds.

Will let everyone know how that works out.

Where's the net?
Unread 03-04-2002, 09:22 AM
Starting to PANIC

I'm scheduled for a LAVH on March 11th.....and I can relate!!! I was doing so well and keeping extremly busy. But now the PANIC is kicking in!!! I don't know how I'm going to make it thru the next week.

Just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone.....we can all panic together!! Hang in there!
Unread 03-04-2002, 10:04 AM
Starting to PANIC

Shelli,

You and I share dates. I know how you are feeling. Good luck and if you figure out how to calm down some let me know!
Unread 03-04-2002, 10:28 AM
Knowledge is power

I know what you mean...I worried about the unknown and wasn't sure whether I knew TOO much or not enough about what was coming. As has already been said, finding this site was the best thing that happened regarding my surgery and, truthfully, Hystersisters remains a positive and important part of my life. I think about the ladies here more than I post these days - back to a regular and more active life since surgery.

One thing I wanted to say: if you have specific worries, ask your doctor or perhaps a nurse at the doctor's office. No need to dwell on things that may not even be true. Anaid, your idea about dosages of pain meds is interesting; let us know what they say.

For any of you who have worries or a history of pain medication causing nausea, SPEAK UP to your doctor! They do have good meds for that these days which work for almost everyone...but sometimes it takes more than one, or a different one. Don't suffer in silence!

That said, I am with the camp which found the whole experience, including the pain, easier than I thought it would be. In fact, I took six weeks off from my teaching job - without pay because I didn't have sick leave - because I didn't want to "ruin my summer." I thought I would be laid up for weeks on the couch, feeling awful. I really NEVER felt as awful as I thought I would feel, right from day one!
Hang in there...Your days as a are numbered!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register