New with questions | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New with questions New with questions

Unread 03-04-2002, 11:47 AM
New with questions

Hello everyone,
I am new to this sight and so far I have gottern a lot of valuable info. I am scheduled for a TAH/SBO the 2nd week of April. I would like to know how everyone who had tummy tucks with their hysterectomies coordinated it with the plastic surgen. Did you find the plastic surgens yourselves or did your GYN work it all out. Also did anybody get their insurance to pay for that part of the surgery?
I am a school Bus driver and a nurse I would like to know how long it was for everyone before they could drive again. I already know that I will have to take 6-8 weeks off from my nursing job. but will I be able to drive before then because then at least i could do that job.
I also have 3 children one that is only 20 months old how long before you were able to lift. Like holding him on my lap and things like that not so much carring him around.
Any advice would be welcomed
Thank you so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2002, 03:33 PM
TT and TAH

Hi Pilotwife,
Welcome to hystersisters! I am new on this site as well! The information is great! Like you, I am having a TAH/BSO in April. I am seriously considering a TT and my GYN and plastic surgeon are going to coordinate surgery date and times. I have a PS because in Dec, I had a bilateral mastectomy for breast cancer...so I do like my PS...he is doing a great job reconstructing my breasts( I call them my bionic breasts)...So I guess, you could say that I arranged to bring the GYN and PS together...My insurance will not pay didley squat on the TT....bummer.....I am told to be prepared to pay about 4-5 grand for it....money well spent I'm sure.....you should see my belly...it is nasty. ...oh well..I am told that there are lifting, bending, driving restictions pretty much similiar to TAH. They told me post op you are very sore...in fact the PS nurse told me I will hate the doctor for the first 2 weeks but after that I will be sooooooooooo glad I did it. Like you pilotwife I have little ones my youngest son just had his first birthday...So hopefully you will have plenty of help after your surgery....Let me know what you decide...there are some PS sites on the internet that show before and after pictures of Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) and have write up on what to expect! Hope this helps!
Unread 03-04-2002, 07:39 PM
New with questions

Thanks Halogirl,
I just found out today that my surgery has been moved up to March14 about ten days how long did it take you PS and GYN to coordinate all of this I hope that I have time to get it together other wise I probably will not be brave enough to go back in for the TT. Thanks and if you have the names of some of those websites i would appreciate it.
Thanks again
:hug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2002, 09:05 PM
Welcome!

Hello, ladies!
I don't know about the tummy tuck...I would have loved to incorporate that too but was told my insurance wouldn't cover it at all (cosmetic and therefore not important...ha..).

I was allowed to drive at 2 weeks but in a limited way. The deciding factors are what pain meds you still need which might impair your judgement and the potential for injury. As my doctor pointed out, I wouldn't be likely to run into someone because I would be SUPER careful - however, she wasn't going to rely on all other drivers to do the same. IMHO, driving a school bus would be WAY too much. I teach middle school and I wouldn't want to drive a bus no matter how healthy I was!! School bus drivers are some of the bravest people on the face of the earth!!

Talk to your doctor about these concerns and best of luck to you!!
Unread 03-05-2002, 07:08 AM
New with questions

Hello Again Pilotwife,
Wow, your surgery is right a round the corner.....when I looked for information on TT I just used Google search engine and used "Abdominoplasty before and after pictures" and I just glanced thru the ones of interest....most of the sites are a PS advertisement but they are informative as well as getting a look at what to expect.....Maybe your GYN has a PS that he/she would recommend to you...that they like working with. Hopefully, you can get all this coordinated without too much hassle...and if you decide to do this I hope it all works for you! Keep me posted. Good Luck!
Unread 03-06-2002, 08:25 PM
New with questions

Thank you everyone My surgery had to be pused back to april 10 because my DH could not get time off work the week of the 21st. So I am kind of bummed about that I was really looking forward to getting this done and being out of pain all the time. My GYN said that he will not do the TT at the same time because of the added risks with all the scar tissue that I already have. He also said that he does not want me under for more than 2 hours and if he did the TT i would be out for 3-4 hours. Thanks anyway for all the infor
(soon to be)
Unread 03-07-2002, 04:16 AM
New with questions

Debbie, my GYN surgeons said the same thing. We are military and I guess they are afraid of infections. Also the pointed out that if there were complications, which surgery did it come from?

So, I guess in a few months, I will be in my bathing suit, kinda poofy tummy, but, I won't have to ever worry about bleeding again!

Sara

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register