Home Alone | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-04-2002, 01:22 PM
Home Alone

Just a quick question. How long before I can be left alone (TAH BSO). DH is a tax man and this is his busy time (good timing) and he needs to stay in by his job during most of the week. He is staying with me the first week I'm home but how about after that. The only other thing I can do is pack up and go in to stay with him. That would mean a smaller bed, bad TV and a very low toilet. Plus packing the dogs etc. Is this more trouble than trying to stay by myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2002, 03:29 PM
Home Alone

Hello Home Alone, Your surgery date is March 14,2002. I think you will be able to answer that question for yourself after the first post-op week. You mentioned your husband will be home with you for the first week that's a wonderful bonus. Everyones surgical procedure is different which makes the recovery different. We're alike in the fact that we're all pre-op or post-op, Hyster Sisters. Our individual difference's are unique. Some of us are older, some younger. Some of us are in good physical shape, some of us may have physical restrictions. Some of us are very independent use to doing things without much help from other's. Some of us may be more dependent on other's. Some of us are also dealing with immediate Hormone issues, some of us aren't. Your very fortunate to be able to make the choice(stay home/go with hubby). You have a little time before your surgery to make preparations in case you decide you'd be more comfortable at home. Make a list of all the things you would normally need. Go to the store and stock up on these things prior to your surgical restrictions. Whether you stay home or not you'll still use the supplies you stocked up on. I would personally recommend a shower chair, I'm 10 days post-op, really don't need the chair but it's great support. You don't even have to take it out of the bathtub, still plenty of room. If you can't stand you can just sit down and let the hot water run over you. It feels wonderful. Provided you follow your Doctor's order's on bathing restrictions. Take Care and remember your not alone. apache TVH 2-22-02
Unread 03-04-2002, 05:23 PM
home

I'm home from my surgery 2/5/02. My husband took 4 days off between the time of my surgery and my discharge. He felt he should be there while I was in the hospital. I was discharged on a Friday so I had DH available all weekend. By Monday he was back to work and I was just fine during the day alone. I did little but rest. Having small things to eat and prepared in advanced helped although I didn't have much of an appetite. My husband works into the evening so a girlfriend came to stay the first 2 days I was "home alone". My older children come by in the afternoon to check on me daily, feed the dogs, or just to "nag" dear mom to take it easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2002, 06:01 PM
Home Alone

i live alone, and don't have any family within 1500 miles, so i really didn't have much choice as to being alone. i'm 6 days post-op today (got the staples out this afternoon!) been at home since last thursday night. other than having a friend come by to check on me or call, i've been doing fine. i've never appreciated my cordless phone so much though! it walks with me everywhere, just in case.... use your time at home alone to sleep as much as you can!!!!!!!
Unread 03-04-2002, 07:04 PM
Home Alone

My TAH/BSO was on Feb. 1 (five weeks post-op). I live alone. My surgery was on Friday, I was discharged Tuesday afternoon. My daughter spent the first afternoon and evening at home with me, but I was alone after that. I did have friends stopping by to help with things like taking out garbage, etc. but I was really pretty much on my own.

The key is planning. I was really well-prepared by the info I got here on Hyster Sisters. One thing that was absolutely invaluable was the reacher stick thing. I could not have managed without it, in fact I am still using it. I also felt pretty good physically, was not nauseated and I was not dizzy or unsteady on my feet.

For me, I prefer to be in my own home. The first week or so I basically just stayed in bed or on the couch, but I was able to shower and prepare my meals (frozen). It was really not that bad. Of course it would be nice to have someone here to wait on me, but you know, you just do what ya gotta do.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register